Do you think there is a "universal standard of beauty"?

What do you think that is if so?

I see it thrown around on here quite often

Most Helpful Guy

• The beauty myth sets it up this way: A high rating as an art object is the most valuable tribute a woman can exact from her lover. If he appreciates her face and body because it is hers, that is next to worthless. It is very neat: The myth contrives to make women offend men by scrutinizing honest appreciation when they give it; it can make men offend women merely by giving them honest appreciation. It can manage to contaminate the sentence "You're beautiful," which is next to "I love you" in expressing a bond of regard between a woman and a man. A man cannot tell a woman that he loves to look at her without risking making her unhappy. If he never tells her, she is destined to be unhappy. And the "luckiest" woman of all, told she is loved because she's "beautiful," is often tormented because she lacks the security of being desired because she looks like who she lovably is.”

The beauty myth of the present is more insidious than any mystique of femininity yet: A century ago, Nora slammed the door of the doll's house; a generation ago, women turned their backs on the consumer heaven of the isolated multiapplianced home; but where women are trapped today, there is no door to slam. The contemporary ravages of the beauty backlash are destroying women physically and depleting us psychologically. If we are to free ourselves from the dead weight that has once again been made out of femaleness, it is not ballots or lobbyists or placards that women will need first; it is a new way to see.

• Is the beauty myth good to men? It hurts them by teaching them how to avoid loving women. It prevents men from actually seeing women. It does not, contrary to its own professed ideology, stimulate and gratify sexual longing. In suggesting a vision in place of a woman, it has a numbing effect, reducing all senses but the visual, and impairing even that.”

• The beauty myth is always actually prescribing behavior and not appearance.

• the word beauty or beautiful should be erased, because it puts huge pressure on women and young girls, too look good for a man. beauty should be used to describe a person as a whole not just on looks. lady Diana,mother Theresa, where beautiful people as a whole. not some girl on a page 3 magazine.

What Guys Said 6

• Well I think big titties are sexy and apparent most of the men on gag prefer the doody chute, so I guess that answers your question right there.

• You're right people throw it around..as if Hollywood were a universal standard of beauty. Clearly, there is no such thing. I think health is the real standard of beauty, and it's both a moral and physical health. You know it when you see it!

• Not really, no. I think the closest you can get to a "universal standard of beauty" is to want what is pleasing. We all find different things attractive, other things unnattractive, and other things repulsive.

But what those things are, can't be defined broadly. Basically, we strive to attain as pretty/beautiful/attractive of someone/something that we can get. That is about as similar as we all get.

• the universal standard of beauty = my girlfriend ^-^

• beauty is extremely subjective. Maybe symmetry, that is about all I can come up with... But you could be perfectly symmetrical and be very unattractive.

• The Universal Standard of Beauty is that which is portrayed by the media to be beautiful, and that which is set up as the example to which all women should aspire.

See also: Victoria's Secret.

Not that everyone is primarily attracted to the same thing, that's just what the media would like you to believe. Maybe it's just easier to advertise things that way.

What Girls Said 6

• I think so, to some degree. There's people I personally don't find attractive to me (Like, I wouldn't want to date or have sex with them) but I can recognize that they are physically attractive. I think that's true for most people. Though they themselves may not be attracted to said person, they can still see that the person is physically attractive.

If someone has a symmetrical face, healthy frame (not too skinny or too fat), clear skin, long shiny hair (girls) and white teeth they are at least somewhat attractive, even if I personally am not attracted to them.

You can't go into much more detail, because diffferent cultures value different things. So, maybe here, we find blue eyes to be a standard of beauty, but somewhere else, they value brown. That type of thing.

• I think everyone can agree that clean glowing skin, a nice smile, and bright eyes are generally beautiful.

• Fit body, good skin, pretty features and healthy hair - that's about as specific as you can get. I think that in modern society the definition of beauty is far broader than it ever has been before.

• good body, clear skin, nice hair. I think that's something most people can agree on.

• Of course there is. Some people here aren't keeping it 100.

However it has shifted somewhat recently. I won't say what that is though.

• There is a certain look that will be most appealing to people of every culture (or most cultures).

• not really. every culture & group has its own definition of the standard of beauty