Ladies: do you take your clothing habits from your mom?

If your mom is / was very sultry in dressing up, showing a lot of skin and curves, did it have an impact on how you developed your dressing up habits?

• Oh yes! If she could do it and get away with it, why can't I?
  • I did, but I always took her approval when and where to dress like that.
  • I wanted to, but my mom never let me be that way.
  • I hated the way she dressed up and never did it myself nor will.
I would like to thank all of you for coming forward to give such detailed comments. There was a certain premise behind my question. I guess the real target people who I wanted to come forward never did. What made me think was that so often I see young or middle aged mothers in public places who dress in such a revealing way that while walking with your wife, you have to look the other way. Every time I see that, and I see young daughters as old as teen agers, I wonder who will stop these girls.

Most Helpful Girl

• I really don't know what to choose from your poll choices! xD

Because my mom doesn't wear revealing clothes and the same goes for me. I like to wear the clothes that make me respected, comfortable and at the same time give me a simple, nice, delicate appearance. I don't wear the same style that my mom wears, she tend to wear more dark colored and classical clothes because she thinks her age doesn't allow her to wear clothes like the young girl's. But we both don't wear very tight or revealing clothes.

• No one will stop them, maybe only if they got a jealous boyfriend/husband who doesn't like his girl to wear revealing clothes, and if the girl really likes her husband/boyfriend she should listen to him.

• Thank you! :)

Yeah maybe I have different and unique values. I always want to treat my man respectably and make him feels special, the way that the man should be treated. ^^

• God bless you.

What Girls Said 14

• No, my mom and I are very different. She never shows any skin past her collarbone, never wears clothes that fit properly, let alone show off her curves, and is generally very clueless when it comes to style. I, on the other hand, usually show cleavage, wear tight clothing and I think I know enough about styling it all to look okay.

As for the mothers who wear very revealing clothing, I sometimes see them and their daughters are more often than not dressing in a very revealing way too. To my understanding this is because their mothers never tell them not to wear revealing clothing - it's not about the girls wanting to dress like their mothers, most girls don't want that. So they'll throw on something short and flashy and they won't be met with any disapproving looks or comments and that makes it okay, in their minds.

• I can see where this could be true for a lot of girls, but I'm not one of them. My mom has always dressed pretty modestly, and I tend to show more leg or cleavage than she ever would, though I dress relatively modestly most of the time too. But aside from that, we have very different styles and taste in what we think looks good. I developed my style and interests completely independently from her.

• yes I do - we have similar tastes - even in colour and style of clothes - she raised me well I guess. I'm always being complimented and its thanks to her :D

• well I wear pretty much the same stuff she wore when she was my age,i've even gone through the same haircut phases as her,we're not very similar at the moment,she's more goth looking (long black skirts) and I'm crazy yet subtle. neither of us show a lot of skin.

• Nope. Me and my mom have such different styles in clothing! My mom wears clothes that practically don't show any skin, lol. She just dressed like any other mom would I guess? I don't show that much skin either, but I'm not all covered up, and there's a lot of clothes that I like, that she doesn't, but that's cool - so no, it didn't have an impact on me at all

• No.

My mom loves her diamonds and wears suits, dresses, and high heels every day. Even if she's in pain or sick, she still tries to look perfect. As a kid she always tried to push me into being a "girly-girl".. She tried to make me wear puffy dresses, ruffles, show skin.. she tried to force me into fashion shows, Girl Scouts, she hated when I got dirty playing outside. I felt as though she didn't accept me for who I was and so I would rebel and REFUSE to wear anything remotely feminine (outside of my school uniforms).

Now that I'm older I dress it up every now and then, but I still prefer to be casual.

It's funny, she trusts me to pick out her outfits, bags, and shoes, but she doesn't push me to wear them as much anymore. She seems to be satisfied that I know HOW to be fashionable if I choose to be. She still wishes I was into diamonds and dresses though... not gonna happen.

• No, not at all. My mother dressed, how do I explain it? Well, she did not dress like any of the other moms! As I was growing up, most moms were always either wearing a dress or skirt & blouse. My mom? Ha! She wore jeans, shorts & sleeveless blouses, tennis shoes. Don't get me wrong! My mom always looked great! She just dressed comfortably, fun! And when the late 70s came, she was...Groovy! She always looked hot, but never showed alot. It takes a really beautiful woman to do that.

Me? I guess I do take after her somewhat. I dress casually when I want to, and I know how to "do it up right." I never show lots of skin I think that's tacky. Curves? Well, if you have nice curves, you really can't hide them, now can you?

• My mom dresses nice and like a mom should dress, so she's not showing too much or too little. I don't show too much or too little either, but I have my own style and is following the trends with my own touch. I'm glad my mom is not dressing sultry as you call it, because maybe I would too and that's not something I would want.

• Thank you for year comment. I hope you understand where I am coming from. I did not want to make any suggestion about moms like your's. :) you both are cool.

• NO! We have absolutely nothing in common when it comes to dressing. She hates everything I wear, I hate everything she wears.

• No my mom dresses appropriately and still stylish. I have my own style so no I'm not like my mom. lol

• I would, I dress like my mom(showing skin) but in an age appropriate way for me. My sister, however, is the complete opposite

• btw my mom doesn't show skin she just likes to wear lace frilly tops, also when I said my sister is the complete opposite I meant she just wears shirts

• lol no, when I was little my mother dressed like a teenage boy she dress more girlie because of me. Most of the time why teenage girls dress like baby hookers because either their parent don't care or more commonly they do it as some sort of rebellion and their parents just let them go through it because if I really wanted to dress a certain way I would no matter what.

• Ayeeee... That is sad. Being a family man and since I do have a daughter, that is really sad.

• no i wouldn't dress like that

• No prefer jeans and tops to skirts shirts

What Guys Said 0