To wear shoes, or not to wear shoes, that is the question

So I want to ask you guys if you wear shoes inside of your house, or other people houses.

And where are you from? :)

I'm from Denmark and we do not wear shoes inside.

• Shoes
  • No shoes

Most Helpful Girl

• i'm from the south and we wear them indoors here but some of my friends up north don't, when I went to visit they wanted us to take our shoes off, it was weird to me.

i never make people take off their shoes in my house

• Why is it weird to take off your shoes? Do you only take them off when you go to bed and shower then?

• yeah lots of people do, my friend told me it's also because they don't want you to mess up their floors and I always just figured if I invited someone over they should be able to pick if they would like their shoes on or not and I don't mind sweeping when they leave

What Guys Said 6

• My feet are usually aching by the time I get home so the shoes come off pretty quickly. As for visiting other people's houses, it depends on the person. Usually my shoes stay on, but on the rare occasion I'll take 'em off.

• Why do you let them stay on?

• I'm not sure exactly. I guess I don't want to feel like I'm imposing being intrusive, or "making myself at home," kinda like I'm treating their place like it's my home. If I see others removing their shoes I might.

• in my house I don't. when I go to someone's house and they have a no shoe rule I respect it.

• I'm in canada, parents were from England. We grew up wearing shoes in the house, but most around us didn't. Parents sort of adapted over time. One of my cousins boyfriends offended my grandparents by removing his shoes when he visited them.

• How is it offending to take off your shoes inside of the house?

• _Traditionally_ in england, shoes (or slippers) were always worn. Just like you wouldn't make yourself comfortable by taking your pants off, you wouldn't have taken your shoes off and walked around in socks.

• In France, we usually keep our shoes indoors. I wonder if it has something to do with our "never showering" reputation ? ;)

• I'm from American and I do not wear shoes inside my house. At others houses I will keep them on or take them off depending on whose house I'm at and why I'm there.

• What's the difference?

• If I feel comfortable in someone's house then I will, but if I don't feel as comfortable or I'm there for a serious manner then no.

• In my house? ideally no shoes. It's not comfortable to wear shoes.

What Girls Said 6

• I'm from London heritage is African and no shoes inside the house also all my friends and their families are the same, no shoes in the house and for the kitchen and bathroom there are slippers. My friends are all different nationalities by the way English, Irish, African, Asian etc

• Shoes tend t be dirty from being outside, and usually my feet hurt from being in shoes all day, so I can't wait to take them off.

• I'm from Canada and I don't wear shoes inside. I don't understand why people do that, it's just more trouble for them to clean.

• I am American. My family wears shoes in the house. I personally do not like wearing shoes so when I'm in the house they come off.

• Is there a reason, or is it just a norm?

• It is just the norm really. My mother likes to wear slippers in the house. My uncle on the other hand makes everybody take their shoes off so that his carpet does not get ruined. I guess it is just personal preference.

• I'm from Australia and we wear shoes in the house at other people's houses I prefer to keep my shoes on but if they have a rule I will respect that and take off my shoes.

• Aus, I take them off.