The Kilt, why is it such a magnet for women?

I'm Scottish, and as a matter of course I own a kilt in my clan tartan, Clan Gordon. I wear it quite a bit, to sports matches with a ruugby shirt or whatever, or to a formal event. I was in the states a while back and I went to a fancy do, most guys in tuxes and I turned up in my kilt, brogues, prince charlie jacket and bow tie. after about 5 minutes jsut talking normally, I suddenly became aware that 90% of the women there were either staring or had drifted over to me.

Now, I get there's still a bit of residual interest in the "what does a Scotsman wear underneath the kilt" line, but why is the kilt such a big deal? I mean, I look good in it and it's a grand piece of clothing, but the amount of interest seemed disproportional.

Any thoughts?

Most Helpful Girl

• It's an "outside of Scotland"thing,for sure. I belong to Clan MacLeod,and have roots in the Isle of Skye, happen to be a musician,and play several instruments, bagpipes being one of them, so I get it.I know that I'm a female ,so it's a little different, since we wear skirts all of the time, but taking it in context, it's not a big deal.A guy in Highland dress,wearing a kilt is normal, a guy in a skirt, with high heels is not.I don't personally care if a guy is into crossdressing,but others do.This is differernt, and many people outside of the UK/Scotland should be aware of that. Cultural differences, nothing more. Scotland the Brave!

What Girls Said 6

• Same reason men like skirts on women - easy access!

Just kidding, I don't really have much of a clue. But if I were to have a reason, that would probably be mine.

• Haha, you definitely have a Scotsman's confidence!

When I was in Scotland this year, I found I stared quite a bit at the guys in kilts. Part of the reason was because it was winter and I was wondering if they were cold, and the rest was just because the guys seemed very comfortable and confident in it.

It was fascination at something that I'd never witnessed before, it was a novel thing for me.

• I think it's the whole "freak" thing, shock and awe of a guy in a skirt.

• Umm...trust me, there are plenty of women out there who are not into guys in kilts.

• During my brief time in Scotland I had a rather negative experience with the whole "what he wear under his kilt" thing...

They used to have an appeal- I think its mostly the confidence to pull one off. But that night kinda lost it for me.

• i think its just because its different

What Guys Said 3

• The girls were all thinking yo're gay. Most women int he US identify with gas these days, they belong to the same sort of men, after all. They don't of course understand anything about the cultural background of the kilt.

• hmm. See, even during my gay phase I didn't have women giving me the come-on, and in the kilt I do. Maybe it;s a personal thing that makes it look gay or not, but I understand that the phrase "so, you want to come back to mine and test the bed?" isn't commnoly used by women to gay men

• Well, it's not exactly a come-on, is it, when women identify with gays. It's more of a gay-brother sort of thing. Are you sure this isn't the vibe you're getting from these women?

• I've got modern kilts (with the pockets), and I do notice women paying more attention to me than when I'm wearing pants. It may be something ladies don't see often, or they admire the guts it takes for a guy to wear anything that closely resembles a skirt. And kilts are NOT skirts.

• I have Scottish roots, and every time I've EVER mentioned wearing a kilt to a girlfriend of mine, they've either laughed or looked disgusted.

You say women are attracted to men in kilts, my experience says otherwise.

• really? No matter where I am, any time I actually put on a kilt women take a lot more notice and seem a lot more attracted. It might sound daft when it's said, but the reality is very different