How do you get a tattoo without parental consent?

I'm 17 and I would really like a tattoo. The tattoo I have in mind has a meaning behind and it'd be small and out of the way. One problem I'm underage and my mom says I can't have one till I'm 30. How do I go about getting one anyway without her consent?

p.s. If you think I'm idiot for 1. getting a tattoo in the first place or 2. Because I can't just wait till I'm 18 to get one on my own I understand where your coming from but please don't say so.. thanks!

Most Helpful Girl

• There is a solution to your problem but I just can't give it to you.. It is too risky and Manny have fallen down that path.. Embrace yourself. Do you really want a tattoo? Then you should really wait till you 18, there's a chance you might not want that tattoo then, or any tattoo at all (been there). Your mom can't stop you if you decide on taking one at 18.. While if you take one at 17 she could force you to take it away.. All that pain, and money just for scars.. I seriously suggest to you that you wait until you're 18. I speak from personal experience.

What Guys Said 6

• Don't go to an amateur from Craigslist unless they have a very good reputation from people you personally know. I've seen some terrible ex-con "artists" doing junk-work with a ghetto tattoo gun for dope money.

I'd tell you to wait until you're 18, but if you can't wait that long to make a semi-permanent decision you're probably going to make many worse mistakes in your life.

• Tattoos are trashy. Besides, why would you want to hurt your parents' feelings? They still have to feed you, after all.

• I like how you told everyone not to say "wait till you're 18" and then they did. Clearly some people can't read.

If you have a legal guardian like an older brother or sister, or maybe a grandparent or something you can have them authorize the tattoo.

You can also find a friend to do it, or maybe ask if your friends know any apprentice tattoo artists. You can let them practice on you and it'll most likely be free, but poorer quality.

• i guess no one bothered to read the last part lol thanks!

• Once you're 18 you can do whatever the hell you want. Why don't you just wait a year and then get the tattoo on your own? Are you really in THAT much of a hurry to get one?

• Most likely somebody off of craigslist or through other people who you may know.

• If you understand where we're coming from then you obviously know it's wrong. Don't do it!

What Girls Said 5

• I did read the bottom. But honestly, anyone who is willing to tattoo a minor without parental consult, is probably not someone who takes too good of care of their equipment and making sure everything is up to code. When's your birthday?

I just turned 18 and am looking to get a tattoo soon. I've been wanting this for two years already. Recently found out my mom likes the idea and would've given me permission to get it...

Had I known that, I think I still would've waited. If you can wait until you're legally able to decide for yourself, then you know for sure that this is something you want, something you won't regret.

• How about you jut wait until you're legal? You're probably a few months away anyways.

It's against the law for an artist to tattoo a minor without parental concent. The reason is if you get a reaction or something goes horribly wrong, that tattoo artist is going to take all the blame as well as lose his/her license. It's also not safe. The reason is, any artist who works on minors might preform a shady job or have a shady reputation. It puts you more at risk.

I'm sure if you wait a few more months, you can adjust the tattoo to really fit and compliment your personality. It might look like a long wait, but you will appreciate it more. Trust me.

• Just wait until you're 18. It's not worth going to someplace sketchy to get a tattoo done while you're underage - reputable tattoo artists care about their customers and won't do anything that could get you or them in trouble.

• You should just wait. Getting a tattoo is a huge decision and it's better for you to have time to think about it, rather than spontaneously doing it and regretting it in the long run. Unless you have a friend who can hook you up with people who'll do it for you while you're underage, this is your only option, sorry.

• If you can wait 17 years, I'm sure you can wait it out another year until your of the legal age to get one. It'll also definitely give you enough time to re-think your decision of whether you still want one or not. But, at the end of the day, It's your choice, which you will have to deal with on your own in the end.