Just A Question about Eggs, Mayo, and Hair

I have heard great things about homemade remedies for your hair. So with that in mind, how do eggs and mayo help out your hair?

Most Helpful Girl

• What you're supposed to do is

-Put enough mayo in a bowl that you'll be able to saturate your hair with it

-Crack an egg & ONLY use the whites(that's the part with the protein), beat the egg whites until they're frothy and mix with mayo

-Leave on for 30-60 minutes after applying to dry hair

-Rinse your hair, then wash it out, making sure to get rid of it all and then condition. Make sure to rinse it all out, because the egg can really stay in your hair(little white pieces and chunks).

For a more simple treatment, you can just do the egg white treatment or mix egg whites with a deep conditioner of your choice or buy hair mayonnaise.

Do it once a month, generally no more.

It's supposed to leave hair softer, shinier and stronger, but personally, it's not worth it. I've done it multiple times, different variations and I hate the way it leaves the hair feeling and smelling(odor is hard to get out). For a protein treatment, I like a plain, simple egg or a store bought keratin based treatment such as apHogee 2 minute keratin reconstructor(which can be purchased at Sallys), ion reconstructor(can be purchased at Sallys) or Joico K-Pak(Ulta or Sephora or some Krogers, Albertsons & drugstores).

Here are some vids for protein treatments:

link

link

What Guys Said 1

• I have done black womens hair on and off for the last 9 years or so. If you mix may, eggs, and greta conditioner (Aussie-Treseme-Herbal Essence-Garnier) and let it sit for 2 or 3 hours then your hair will be so much softer and managable then before. I like to comb it and trim the dead ends when the that "formula" is still in the hair. This also makes hair that was permed much more healthy. I sometimes add just a little bit of olive oil to the batch before I apply it.

What Girls Said 7

• It's because they have protein in them which is main component of hair. You can get other protein treatments from the store though that aren't meant to be food.

• Rinse tour hair with cold water

• Its strengthening

• the protein

• Gross. I tried once where you mix the eggs and mayo together. And put it on for and hour. I had little cooked egg pieces all throughout my hair

• You don't need both eggs and mayo just one because both are a protein source

• Protein!

There are products (non-food) full of protein and other things like keratin made for hair. The purpose is to strengthen the hair shafts.

It can still be very damaging though, make sure you do your research if you ever decide to try it.