How do you lose muscle...but not turn it into fat?

I have huge calves...and I want them to be thinner. It is really a problem..I can't wear knee high anything...and I can't fit many jeans without the extra spandex. They literally can't pass my calves. I wear a lot of leggings and etc because I have so much leg muscle. And exercise burns fat...and doesn't remove muscle...

Most Helpful Guy

• Ok, this made me laugh at first but here it is. When you exercise (cardio) you burn calories, not fat. As long as you are burning more calories then you take in everyday you will lose weight and if you would like to trim down, that's what you have to do. I would not advise you to do any weight bearing or resistance training with free weights or machines. Just do cardio and watch what you eat. Muscle begins to atrophy (decrease or shrink) after about 14 days. But if that is the way your leg muscles are shaped genetically, there is not much you can do. I am a grad student in Exercise Science, so I am giving you factual information. I can take it or leave it, but good luck. = )

What Guys Said 6

• Muscle doesn't turn into fat.

As muscle decreases in size due to lack of use, it may appear that fat levels are increasing when they aren't actually.

The fat levels are exactly the same, but since there is less muscle the makeup of your calf will be a higher percentage of fat.

• cardio

• Eating less calories then you burn... For example fasting. One day fasting first hits your muscles for glycogen to replace sugars, then as the day rolls on it goes after muscle tissue for amino acids... Fastings other name is starving. =P

• strong calves are damn sexy

• Your legs are sezzy.

• We need pictures.

What Girls Said 4

• losing weight,just like with losing fat,except you should focus mostly on low impact cardio. basically-not eating. anorexics get a burning sensation in their legs after a long time of fasting cause they lose muscle-but it's painful and requires starving,i wouldn't recommend it.

• Long distance running.

PS, your muscle doesn't turn to fat and your fat doesn't turn to muscle. The fibers in your muscle simply grow larger or shrink.

• My calves are fat. I'm just accepting it. I exercise regularly and I'm at a healthy weight, but the fat likes to stay in my calves. I would have preferred it in my breasts, but that's not how it is. Lol.

I think you have to accept it, or see a specialist because regular exercises probably won't do anything. Well, you've figured that out for yourself. And if you figure out how to get skinny chic calves, don't tell me, because I need to accept this...and I might be tempted.

• LOL

this site is the worst site to ask about that. Because you get a bunch of "big calves are sexy" answers from guys who think they're opinion should hold more weight than your own.

Cardio...excess, steady cardio. I don't know what type of cardio you like, but long, steady cardio such as running, jogging, elliptical training or cycling.

I feel your pain about too much muscle though, but for me it's less in the calves more in the thighs

• I have both, but the calves just irritate me like I got track star calves link

They are exactly that size. I don't know wtf to do. I really don't need that...and they get cramps too..I wonder if I can get them surgically removed.

• :( that must suck

muscle atrophy is complicated and since it can rarely be safely, you have to find other ways to slowly reduce the muscle. excess cardio without giving yourself a break might help.

If they cramp up easily, make sure to stretchstretchstretch before working out and make sure you're wearing the proper workout shoes

• Yeah, I tried a lot of things...they just irritate me. What I think I will do is some serious research and call me doctor up to refer me to a specialist. When I never worked out I never had cramps..and they were still huge...Now that I do...I think they strain easily and start hurting..especially since I do pilates and yoga...it comes with stretching. The only cardio I do is dancing..occasionally walking and cardio workout videos or Treadmill. But my calves have always been a huge issue.