What is the purpose of make-up?

I mean no disrespect when I say this, so all of you feminists out there, don't light the torches just yet, hear me out.

From my experience, I look at make up in my opinion as a way to try "heightened" one's looks. Why? Most women look much more beautiful with their natural face. I couldn't date someone who only appeared attractive with make up on. It doesn't really help, but yet society/ media advertise this like its coke cola. If that's the case, why don't men need it, but women do? Doesn't that sound sexist to you?

I really want to hear more of the ladies input, But dudes drop your personal opinion as well. Ladies, why do you wear make up? Do you feel pressured? Don't feel comfortable with your face?

• To enhance looks.
  • To temporarily hide from insecurities while appearing attractive.
  • Roses are Red, Violets are blue, I just ate a shoe, how about you?

Most Helpful Girl

• A form of expression, sometimes their face is literally their canvas. I do not mean that in a bad way. Make-up can be a hobby/job/art.

Maybe they want to enhance certain things to show that side of their personality, perhaps if they like to be cute, they'll put on some blush and make their eyes appear bigger.

Another reason might be low self esteem - in this case, it doesn't really help if you think about it.

Some might just want to look a little better! Or if they wear concealer, perhaps show people what they usually look like!

I don't wear make-up because I can't be stuffed. I do feel pressure to wear make-up on certain occassions like fancy dinners, weddings... but tbh I don't think I would.

I'm sure my face could look a whole lot better with make-up but I don't think it's necessary and I kind of want people to know what I look like, flaws and all. :P

• Extremely well said!

• I'll bet your face looks a whole lot better without make up. Like every girl's face.

• Yeah, I'll go with that, I really can't be stufffed. :D

Girls who wear make-up for the purpose of self esteem are really doing everyone else in.

To me a face is a face and my nails are nails. Besides proper care and hygiene, I really don't want to give it any extra attention. It's a bit like when girls get a tan or whiten their skin because people like that look. -- A spray tan - how much of your true self are you willing to change for appearance sake?

What Girls Said 14

• I just think it's fun, I like playing with colors and techniques. I don't wear face makeup, I only do my eyes or lips; play up one and downplay the other. And I don't actually wear makeup very often. I used to put it on more or less every day and found it just as fun, but life gets in the way and I don't always have the time or energy to spare on makeup. I have no problem with how I look without any on, I'm no more or less confident about myself either way. Most days I don't wear any at all, or just throw on mascara and some chapstick, it's much more rare for me to do full eye makeup these days. I don't care if I don't have makeup on when I leave the house or that I'm going to be seen in public without it by strangers and people I know, I don't care that my boyfriend knows what my 'real face' looks like, lol. We live together, so he sees me bare-faced like 10 times more often than he sees me made up. I feel fine either way and he thinks I'm pretty either way. I wear makeup for me, when I feel like it, and not for other people.

With: link

Without: link

Sometimes the difference is more dramatic than that, but the 'with' picture is just how I felt like doing it today. =]

• I never wear makeup. To me, it's a mask and I never wanted to wear it. I still don't now, other than lip gloss ocassionally if I have any, but that's rare.

• I don't wear makeup. It's my face. And it's not perfect, I know. I wash my face regularly, but every now and then a blemish shows up. And when that happens I still don't wear makeup. That way I know people who tell me I'm pretty actually think I'M pretty, not the makeup.

• I do somewhat agree with what you're saying here, an ex boyfriend of mine once said "why do you smother yourself in face paint?" he hated make-up. I wear make-up but I don't overdue it, I try to keep it natural but on some occasions I use more if I feel the need to dress up. For me, it's a confidence thing, if other women around me didn't always wear make-up then I'd not bother but as everyone else does I'm not confident enough in myself without the make-up. I don't have much self confidence, I'm pretty comfortable in myself but without make-up I feel a bit shy. For women, in the modern day and age, every thing is becoming about image so it's the constant pressure of trying to look like models.

• Why do you men say you like girls without make up when that's not even the case. I mean, you take one look at a girl without make up and it's like ugh.. Very, very few girls can pull off the natural look.

When make up comes off, you see blemishes, acne, all that 'good' natural stuff.

It's the same girl -

link

link

Now, tell me... When she has no make up on whatsoever you're going to give her a second glance if she walks by or when she has make up on?

In high school, I wore foundation everyday to cover up blemishes that I had.. Now, I just wear eyeliner because I feel naked without it. Mascara to make my eyelashes look longer and thicker. I stopped using foundation and concealer and my face is pretty much flawless for the most part. Thanks to Lemon water. xD

I voted B, by the way. To hide some insecurities and it's not doing it for guys either but for myself.

• I've seen that video..it is a marketing promotion.and I don't like her looks either way./:

• They didn't. She did a YouTube foundation routine and her skin looked just as bad. 99% of girls with less than perfect skin look better with a little foundation or concealer. Guys should look up the natural makeuP concept. It looks like a girl isn't wearing any makeup because it's so neutral. You'd be surprised at how many girls that are wearing a full face when it looks like they've got no makeup on. There's no denying that if that girl didn't wear makeup she wouldn't get a 2nd look

• She wouldn't get a 2nd look from me with her makeup

• I'm a natural person, but I have to admit, nothing does the job of hiding my slight imperfections and dark spots like a little bit of foundation. I don't wear make-up to "hide" anything. I wear it on days where I might be taking photos, out with my friends in the city one day, or on a date with my man.

We're so conditioned to think that make-up "hides" over the "ugliness". Well, that's not true at all,when its worn so much, we don't seem to appreciate the mediocre appearance beneath it. Get my point? Some girls over due it and won't leave the house without it, while others might wear it on special occasions, dates, parties, etc.

• Nothing wrong with wearing it for special occasions..that is what my wife does..not a fan of foundation and bronzer though...o.O

• Not to be insulting but men really aren't that important for me to care what they think. I could care less if a guy thinks I'm prettier without makeup. I like to wear it, it's fun to play around with, & I think I look good with it. So there.

• Its personal preference really. I think I look better with makeup. My eyes stand out more, my skin tone is much more even and you can see the dimensions of my bone structure much better with some makeup. I go run errands without it, but if I am going to the mall or out to dinner I throw it on. I don't feel pressured to wear it, but I feel much more together when I wear it. I admit, I am not 100% comfortable with my face without makeup. I don't look awful, but It really isn't that great.

Makeup isn't used to distort, at least it't not supposed to. Unless you have some professional techniques, makeup won't take you from scary ugly to supermodel.

• I don't feel pressured to wear make-up, I just feel more comfortable with it. I feel like I look a LOT better with it, and while guys tell me that I look good without it, when I get all dolled up it definitely gets a response from them too. and if you think that "most" women look more beautiful with their natural face, then you should look up a concept called "natural makeup"... it's the art of putting it on and making people think you're not wearing any. a little foundation and mascara works wonders!

• It's a cross between A & B

I used to have acne and when I did, the reason was B. My skin was terribly oily and I had scarring, cause I had cystic acne. Most people actually couldn't tell. But now, it's A. I typically wear foundation, gel eyeliner, pencil eyeliner, mascaras and I fill in my eye brows. I know how to compliment my face and how not to.

Most guys in real life don't care about makeup so long as the girl is attractive. It's sort of an obsession here.

Guys on here seem to think girls just wake up without flaws and the fact of the matter is, you'll never see a guy drooling over the girl with uneven skin, dark circles and acne. And the ones who do say they hate makeup and only want natural girls are typically less attractive guys that most girls pay no mind to either way.

• There is no real purpose to make-up except to make people look better, different or more noticable (e.g stage make up is so people can see your features from far away). I like make up and I wear it because I like the way it makes me look I know I don't need it but I prefer to look my definition of perfect. I don't wear very much make up but I kind of use it to keep my style, for example I got a bad hair cut so I wear my hair up and that doesn't flatter my face so I wear a bit more make up so I look the way I want. Personally I think all women look better with a bit of concealer and mascara. A normal amount of make up cannot take a girl from fugly to stunning I think a lot of guys think that is what make up is for because the only example they have are celebrities which are the worst example because they wear tons more make up than some pretty girl you will see on the street. I do not feel pressure to wear make up from anyone but myself, I see make up as part of looking together.

• I don't really wear makeup although I probably should to avoid looking like a 12 year old. The only time I do wear it is to cover up acne scars.

• I can't speak for everyone, but I like it because it's just fun to play around with. It's kinda like painting.. only on your face? Before though, it was because I was insecure and felt prettier with it on. And I don't see a problem with that either. If there is something that helps someone feel better about themselves, then why should you criticise them for it? It's like saying people who are a little bigger can't wear black to slim them out a bit.

Aaaaanyway, there's my opinion (:

• Personally I wear make up because it enhance my beauty and my confident as well... I love being beautiful. Why men attracted on me...

What Guys Said 5

• Makeup, if done correctly, is never to 'conceal' ugliness, it's always to accentuate your good features (eyes, cheek bones, shapes of lips), enhance skin color and contours my adding suitable effects such as high and low lights. Otherwise it looks tacky and unnatural. Any woman will tell you that and you will agree. Look at Nicki Minaj:

Without makeup:

link

With makeup:

link

link

I am a HUUUUUUUGE Lady Gaga fan and even I think she looks better without makeup:

link

But she is the perfect example of those who exercise fashion through makeup, which is perfectly alright for those who like artistic expression.

It adds drama to a look, like blood red lipstick made famous by the likes of Marilyn Monroe etc may even be iconic. To certain clothes and accessories, if matched, makeup can give a more cohesive well presented appearance that ties the whole outfit together. Also, it's another method for women to apply variety to their face. And you would know, women are all about variations (clothes, shoes, hairstyles, etc).

In ancient China, Egypt etc you will see makeup being more dramatic, and now, a more natural looking touch is given preference. It's all about what's in fashion and what's not, what people generally prefer/like. If you think there are celebs/people who look less attractive without makeup, its probably because without makeup, their features look less sharp, more bland, typical and boring. Not because people are 'ugly'. Beauty is very subjective, people have their own opinions, and these opinions differ from person to person.

Somehow we have been trained to falsely believe that makeup makes people look more 'beautiful' although I think it makes them look more interesting, and women know how to make themselves more interesting through makeup, which HENCE adds to their beauty.

My opinion.

• from what I've seen, it's B. And it makes me sad cause absolutely no girl really should have such insecurities about their natural appearance.

• my point exactly.

• What's really sad is that women put on make up for OTHER WOMEN not cause of men. Most men don't really like make up (or especially that much) and yet they still do it thinking they are "so hot" cause other women enable that behavior/mindset as well as the fact other women are constantly competing with each other. It's meh.

And as much as they might claim it's not insecurity that they wear it, it really is.

• sad but true.

• usually a or b

• So what's the difference between plastic surgery and makeup?

• there isn't in my opinion.

• You can remove implants

• 40,000 American women DO remove their implants every year..o.O

• I think it's there to make it look like she's 'naturally' that way