How to dress to give the first impression that I'm smart?

OK so I'm highly intelligent for my age. (I don't mean to have this come off as cocky but I take classes that are three years above my grade level, test in to the 99 percentile, have highly intelligent parents, and was in gifted programs when I was in primary school. So I don't mean this as a bragging way I'm just trying to explain my situation) anyways, I come off to people who I just meet or recently met as a stereotypical "bleach blond, big boobed bimbo" oddly enough I have naturally blond hair and D breasts. Since I know people judge you firstly on looks I want to know a way I can dress or appear more intelligently to acquaintances so that I do not constantly have people treating me like I'm stupid and don't feel like I have to prove my intelligence as much. P.S. I'm sixteen if that makes a difference

Most Helpful Guy

• Like yourself, I consider myself intelligent but not cocky about it. And while dress may be important to some people, I actually would be more impressed by the way you speak. If you communicate rationally and articulate your thoughts, it'll impress people. And for me, the opposite is also true: nothing, and I mean NOTHING, irritates me more than people using the word "like" every two seconds. I NEVER talk like that, and people who meet me tell me I sound very intelligent. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Of course, hopefully those D-cups you mentioned won't make guys forget what you're saying! lol :-)

What Guys Said 10

• Why would you want to? You've got a great thing going, here, man. You're smart but don't seem smart. When people seem smart, everyone hates them, and they just go 'UGH', but people like blond girls with big breasts, generally, and people like people who are really intelligent, which comes out always after first impressions. So, I mean, you've got like, the best of both worlds, here. No ones going to judge you negatively for looking the way you do, on first sight, and everyones going to judge you positively for thinking the way you do, in time. So that's good.

There isn't really any way to dress smart, either. Unless you dress like f***ing... Velma, from Scooby Doo, or Gretchin, from Recess, or something like that. The book-smart stereotype is frocks, turtlenecks and thick glasses, I'm sure you don't want to do that.

• Well, I suggest wearing as little make up as possible. Skirts cone off as quite intelligent and don't where too many things that are really open at the neck. Stereotypically, smart people are self-conscious. Glasses also come across as intelligent, but that is probably as far as I'd go. :L

• Hmm. I don't think you should care what other people think. I'm the same- all of the 99th percentiles, taking a lot of ap classes in my college classes and stuff. So I don't think you should care, I certainly dont. But that being said- try to be modest in your clothing. If you really want it, follow stereotypes. A lot of smarter girls dress differently, wearing t-shirts with cute sayings on them, or, at least here, kinda hipster. Anyway, hope this helped!

• oh come on I love when I shock people because I am about to have a math degree. I don't look (in my opinion and some others) quite as nerdy or ugly as some other math major students so when I tell people who are not science/math or technical majors that I major in math they all get confused and I love it.

• But I would still like it if people didn't assume I was stupid all the time. Yes sometimes its fun but I do like respect and I can't just say I'm majoring in some high level degree because I'm still in high school and talking about my academics just seems like bragging to the immature people my age.

• yeah I don't know how for you because most people I meet go to my university as well and usually one of the first thing people ask each other is what their majors are or whatever so I can say I'm a math major without it seeming like I'm bragging. The only things I would suggest would be things that would probably make you look uglier lol so idk. At least dress more conservatively I guess idk.

• This. link You'll come off as sexy and smart. Double whammy.

• I'm perplexed. You test in the 99 percentile but you don't know how to look like a nerd?

Are you sure you're smart?

• Don't know...but if I was you and someone started talking to me like I was dumb I would f*** with there mind.

• Wear nice, modest clothing... Class it up.

• I would see how well the librarian look goes for you.

I would definitely rock trendy glasses

Whenever I dress up, people think I look even smarter.

Whenever I wear contacts people think I'm less intelligent then when I do wear glasses.

• Layers. Lots of them

What Girls Said 2

• Don't change anything.

If you are as smart as you say you are, you should know that changing your appearance shouldn't matter. IMO, I respect intellectuals more when they don't try to "fit in." Why? Because they have a better sense of their identity. I understand you are a teen and you are currently trying to understand yourself and the world.

My advice to you, be who you want to be, not what the world wants you to be. Make people respect your intelligence and prove them wrong that not all "hot blond bimbos" are all alike.

• You don't need to wear pencil skirts, button ups, and glasses to "look" smart. Be who you are. I don't know how you dress now and honestly, that shouldn't matter. However if you do want a change in your appearance, then develop your own style. My favorite sites to gain inspiration are chictopia and lookbook. I also like to look at certain celebrities for their style on my other favorite site called polyvore.

I truly believe once you feel confident in yourself, then people will respect you more. So have fun searching and playing with different fashion.