Girls, why are skirts considered more formal?

I have read on here that a lot of girls (not all of them) only wear skirts when going somewhere more formal or when wanting to dress up nicer. Why can skirts not be causal wear for more girls?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't wear them as causal wear because they are not as comfortable as pants. I always have that extra worry that my skirt might hitch up, fall down, fly up, rip, or get caught on something so I don't like wearing them that much.

• Fall down? That happens?

• Oh okay, sure then.

• Thaks.

What Girls Said 15

• Wearing skirts to dress up doesn't mean skirts *can't* be casual. They come in a lot of different styles--some are formal, some are more casual. Some can be worn either way depending on what you wear with them.

I prefer dresses to skirts though.

• Cool. Maybe it's just be but it seems like every girl my age just wear shorts/jeans/sweatpants almost all the time. Why do you prefer dresses?

• What kind of dresses do you like?

• idk. I wear them only when I feel like wearing them.

They aren't formal to me...dresses are more formal than skirts.

• Why are dresses more formal?

• i like to wear dresses on a normal day to but I think it depends on the fabric whether its formal or not...like prom dress material or also the embellishments on the clothing. like light cotton dresses pretty casual...thcker silk, chiffon or something more formal

• i think it just has t do with sexist way ack when but now adays I have no idea...im wearing a skirt just lounging around right now but I agree that when I go out later I'll look dressy lol because of that seemingly being a commonish view

• That's nice to know. Are there any formal only skirts or can any skirt be casual?

• generally yeah :)

• Do you wear skirts a lot?

• I don't know. I wear skirts almost all the time. They make me feel comfortable and attractive at the same time.

• So all skirts are causal to you?

• Not really. Once in a while I wear them, but they're so uncomfortable.

• What makes a skirt more comfortable?

• I wear skirts and pantyhose all the time, some people think it's too formal but I love the look and looks I get from the guys, they always think I look sexy.

• Really, all the time. You sound perfect. So you wear them anywhere?

• I live in Florida, maybe that is why. But panyhose are thin, so you would not wear them for the winter?

• Do your leg feel different with panyhose?

• they're not it depends on the skirt, like pencil skirts would be more formal, but floral skirts would not

• Why are pencil skirts considered formal and professional?

• Because floral is like nature, and nature if refreshing, which makes it casual, like you could wear it to a cookout

• Are they are comfortable then pants?

• Skirts are formal and casual. It all depends on the material of the skirt and what you wear with it/how you dress it up (accessories).

• I am doing to post my links up here... No room down there

Casual... link link

Formal... link link

• Ok, I see the difference. Thanks.

• You should try one on ;) They are light and breezy...

• No thanks, I'm good. I would love to see you in one. ;)

• I think dresses are far more formal than skirts. It goes pants, then skirts, then dresses. It's because it shows off femininity and isn't as comfortable as dressing down, which are pants and jeans.

• So you can't dress down in a skirt?

• So if you wear a skirt you are formal about it?

• Yes, but I always like to dress nice. It's just who I am.

• I wear skirts all the time. Both in winter and summer.

• Cool, how do you wear them in winter?

• Some girls have said that. Because of the wind and other stuff.

• Don't wear a skirt if it's windy...

• They are to me because the outfit looks more girlie for me

• So girlie equals formal to you.

• It depends on whether you are sporty or girlie or punk or nerdy personally I'm sporty so I can't run around and stuff in a skirt but if I'm going somewhere formal I probably won't be running around

• Are they all hard to run in?

• Usually When ever I wear them

• Why? If your a sporty person wouldn't you wear them on days you don't run?

• I think teenage years ruined it when I was a kid I use to wear skirts and not care but then I don't know what happened in middle school I guess being 'too skinny' got to me so for me pants are casual

• How would weight effect wearing skirts?

• Pants are casual

• So skirts can't be casual?

• Because denim shorts are the way to go. :P

With my body shape, bodycon/tailored skirts are the only skirts that look good and I do not consider them casual.

• Never been a fan of anything denim.

• They make me look like a whale, make my hips look massive, out of proportion.

• Oh, that sucks.

What Guys Said 1

• You won't get any real answers on here because everyone has their own opinion

The fact that they say they won't wear it on a casual day is probably because they simply don't like wearing them (tomboys) or they feel like they don't look good in them etc..

I see girls wearing dresses and skirts all the time. Their built for them, so..all the better :)

• They're

• I wear skirts and dresses at least once or more a week the leanths are exactly right above my knee

• ...and I thank the lord that you do ;)