I'm the only female in my division, would it be unprofessional to wear skirts?

My new internship is really amazing, but everyone who works in my division (well, in the entire damn wing lol) is male. its a federal job so professional dress is necessary at all times, which is fine.

the only issue is that a lot of my professional wear includes pencil skirts (all knee length) and professional tops with the occasional lace and sheer layer, even frills :p I don't have any accurate examples of the skirts, but the sheer top is somewhat like this (only more opaque) link link

i'm relatively broke, but if that doesn't sound professional enough I'd find the money somehow lol. To each interview I work skirts and they hired me; I did not get any weird looks or anything... but I'm still unsure.

so are skirts and feminine things unprofessional in situations like mine?

• Its fine
  • I would see that as unprofessional
  • Its okay, but I would buy pants and wear those more often.

Most Helpful Girl

• I had an internship at a sound studio where I was the only girl, and I felt out of place wearing anything feminine, so I never did. Then they brought in two other girls who did dress more feminine, and they treated them so much better than me. I wouldn't have been comfortable wearing skirts or dresses all the time (that wouldn't be professional at a sound studio), but I realize now that trying to blend in with the guys worked against me. In fact, studies show that women who show more feminine traits in the workplace get treated better by male coworkers than women who take on a more masculine role. So, as long as your skirts aren't too short/tight and your tops aren't provocative, go with it. It's still professional, it's what you like, and it passed the interviews.

What Guys Said 8

• Skirts are more formal then pants for women. This includes in a professional environment.

You're fine.

• If they're knee-length, it's fine. Lots of women in professional places still wear skirts.

• I guess I'm also concerned that I'd look too different and they'd treat me differently... which might sound silly, but it happened to me a few years ago at a job on the hill :/ its hard to tell if it was just that department, if it was because I looked too feminine, or because I'm a woman.

do you think looking different might have changed it?

• Sounds professional to me.

• it depends on the dress code, but if it's allowed, then it isn't unprofessional

• Where those skirts girl hee hee. I think they're professional looking AND sexy too ;P

• Yes, feminine things are unprofessional. You should probably cut your hair bald too.

• If you look online you can find numerous studies showing consistantly that people (both men and women) are nicer too and respond more postively to woman in skirts/dresses over pants:

Also, for the same career and experience, woman who wear skirts/dresses consistantly make more money than their pants wearing peers. (look it up, US, UK and Dutch studies)

In the last century, everything feminine was considered weaker or worse than the male counterpart. Thus the current PC culture focuses on woman getting to wear pants/be masculine. HOWEVER, in the new century, females are considered strong or even better than male equivalents. Also many woman are either uncomfortable or intimidated by skirts/dresses, so those who choose to wear them have a pretty massive advantage as they are now considered more confident, attractive and empowered.

The important thing is to wear the skirts for more than the first week or so. In the first week you wear them if you have not previously, you are likely to be slammed with TONS of male attention and even them treating you differently. This is actually them trying to encourage you and/or seeing if your tough enough to be an equal. The trick is to act as an equal and politely do your stuff yourself (dont accept their chivalry as it is a form of sexism). After they realize you are strong AND feminine you will find yourself in a perfect position long term.

Tell only your friends about this little trick, it gives a huge leg up on your other female competition (pun intended).

One other thing that is not discussed much: Woman in pants tend to be thought as weak males/omega males or if strong as the b word, even by other woman compared to strong minded feminine woman. There are obviously exceptions, but this is the unspoken truth.

As an example, I once heard the following. While for dating, it holds true for work to a degree.

Should I wear a skirt or pants suit on a date?

***Think of the most attractive man in the world.*** Now picture him in a pink lacy dress with ruffles.*** Still find him attractive? How about if he made it more masculine by wearing a sports coat and dress shoes? Most woman would NOT. Just because society says woman can wear pants, does not mean males will find them as attractive.

This translates to work. Woman in pants come across insecure because pants are "safe" and they tend to more easily fade into the background. Woman who are strong in personailty and feminine (skirt/dress wearing) stand out as compentent, empowered and self-assured. In business these are the key features to advancement and future capital. Remember that in all business, PERCEPTION is the most important aspect of your career.

• Based on the fact that you wore them to the interviews you should be totally fine wearing skirts. Although looking at the other answers apparently skirts are more professional anyway... I didn't even know that haha.

What Girls Said 9

• Personally, for me, I find knee length skirts on a woman looks more professional than trousers.

As long as they're business formal, and you know work place appropriate (so wearing a top under a sheer top) then they're definitely okay for the work place.

• It all depends on what you want.

Those skirts are form fitting, and scientifically men are going to be sexually attracted to you for wearing it. If men didn't find women attractive (and vice versa), we would not reproduce as a specie. If they see you as sex object it's going to be harder for you to let them know where they stand. You want them to know you're serious.

If you want them to take you seriously, and help them focus on your work, I suggest you wear pants.

Personally, I would wear the skirts only on Friday because I like the skirts.

When you get the job, wear what you want because you have already proven yourself.

• i already have the job :) but yeah... I'm afraid they won't take me seriously :(

• Sorry I usually don't think internships are jobs. Unless, they guaranteed you a position after that. Anyway the point is, healthy balance. If you care what they think, I say Mon-Thurs stick to pants and on Fridays wear your skirt and embrace your womanhood! :D

• I don't think that's unprofessional at all. you're not a guy, but if you want to keep at masculine while looking stylish wear blazers or something

• No as long as its not too short and if it is maybe tights would make it look ok

• No I think you should embrace being the only woman and stand out

• No I thought back in the day woman wore skirts.

• i think skirts are classic professional more than pants really.

• It is professional you should not have a problem.

• Wear skirts or you'll be seen as the man.. or manlier or not feminine lol. Just yeah, make sure they are knee length.