Why are skirts acceptable in a hospital clinical lab setting but not shorts?

It was 92 degrees when I went into work today. I am required to wear black or khaki dress pants to work as part of dress code, as well as a collared shirt or polo. I was baking on the walk in, and was grateful that I'd kept extra anti-perspirant in my travel bag. All the women at my work were wearing skirts, some even above thigh height. Why is this acceptable, but not knee-length shorts for men?

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, I don't know men in shorts kinda gives off the too casual vacation vibe not very work-like. Whereas pencil skirts still say work. Also in a hospital setting hairy man legs seem I don't know less clean for some reason. What would you think if your DR. or something came in with Bermuda shorts on, I would think he wasn't taking his job seriously, esp since I like most people are nervous enough in the hospital. Plus isn't it usually cool inside?

What Girls Said 1

• Wow if you think that's bad I would suggest avoiding France! I lived there for 7 months and never did I see a guy wearing shorts in public. On the other hand most of the women wore skirts, etc. Apparently women are even allowed to wear mini skirts to work whereas guys by no means are allowed to go to work with shorts on... Oh the french...

What Guys Said 1

• Since men have high growth of hairs on legs and other parts of body which looks awkward so men are not allowed to wear shorts. on the other hand females always keep their clean and wax so its looks nice pretty.