Women should only wear skirts, is he out of his mind? Am I overreacting?

I usually do wear skirts or dresses, so that apparently yesterday was the first time he saw me wearing jeans, in out 5 months long relationship.

He was like "Are you sure you wanna go out like that, shouldn't you wear a dress" I just went to visit my brother nothing formal, so I asked why I should wear a dress and he said "well girls should always wear skirts"

We got into a huge fight after that. He is not kidding that is what he believes and he does not want me to go out in any kind of pants.

I often wear sweatpants at home or when I work out (although I play field hockey and tennis, where we usually wear skirts) and he never seemed to mind that.

He didn't see at what I was so upset about. He said that I always said I didn't like pants and I don't, but I still want to be able to wear them.

Am I overreacting? What am I supposed to do with him now?

Most Helpful Girl

• well, that is very controlling. just because he likes it better doesn't mean you have to change. we all have our preferences. talk to him about it. tell him that if he does not let you wear pants, which is a totally irrational thing, you are going to break up because you feel like he is controlling you.

What Guys Said 6

• What the...is he Amish or something? At the very least he's a control freak. I say wear your tightest jeans and rub it in his face. He's being an idiot.

• You're not overreacting or anything. IMHO: As long as you aren't flaunting your stuff to the public, then your man shouldn't be bothered in the least. If you were doing something to show off your body, then yeah there will probably be some issues.

• He is out of his mind

• Well I love when girls wear skirts and dresses, but wearing them all the time is a little to much. I would never tell another person what to wear, if they asked what I though they looked good in I would say. You could try asking him why he feels this way.

• Crazy. Women don't have to always wear dresses. That's just odd to think so. This is 2012, not the 1930's.

• you should wear whatever you want to wear. It's kinda weird that he thinks you should always be wearing skirts and dresses.

• I agree with that statement, Lj236. I, to be perfectly honest, love seeing girls in skirts or dresses, but have no problem with seeing them in jeans. Ultimately it's her decision as to what she wants to wear, not his. She should wear what makes her feel good, what feels comfortable to her. He has no say in it. I agree with DeepBlue's response:...definite control freak.

What Girls Said 6

• what the hell? what a control freak!

• wtf its the 21st century!

i would never date this guy

• I think you are overreacting. You've been together for 5 months and you've never once let him see you wear a pair of pants? Obviously you never wanted him to see you in pants in the first place. Its just natural for a girl to want to be pretty and feminine for her man. If you know he's an old fashioned guy and he likes you to wear skirts and dresses, and you wear skirts and dresses 99.99 percent of the time, why wear pants that extra .01 percent of the time? Especially since you claim you don't even like wearing pants at all? If you love your guy, make him happy and wear sskirts and dresses 100% of the time! Also, for working out, toss the sweatpants (ugh!) and wear a cute exercise skirt instead. You can buy thrm at skirtsports.com. There's no reason anymore why you have to be unfeminine while you work out.

• lol we resolved this issue quite a while a ago, but you have to be insane. There's no way I'll wear an exercise skirt. I'm there to workout and look good. That's taking it too far.

No I don't particulary like pants but sometimes when it's cold or windy outside I like wearing them anyways

• My finance is the same way. When we were first dating, he told me he believed women should always wear dresses and skirts, never pants. The thing is, he's such a sweet, wonderful guy that I was happy to give up wearing pants for him. In fact, he's into rockabilly music and vintage things and I got into the whole scene too. I wear vintage 50's dresses everyday with petticoats, stockings, the whole works. I haven't worn pants even once in almost two years. Even when I'm working around the house I wear casual vintage housedresses like a 1950's housewife. We're getting married in June and I don't see myself ever wanting to wear pants again. I like being an old fashioned lady.

• I agree with what everyone else is saying. Dump him. He is being a sexist control freak. He's controlling because he's trying to dictate what you wear, and he's being sexist by saying "girls should always wear skirts." Break up with him and find a guy who is at ease with his manhood enough to find a woman in pants acceptable...Which is like, pretty much every other guy on the face of the planet...except maybe in the middle east.

• Dump him. You don't want to have to deal with somebody who tries to control what you wear when you go out - who knows what else he's going to try to take over?