Should I lie about my clothing?

It happens all the time. people tell me nice jacket where did you get it. So I say Versace, and they're like ooohh and there's an awkward silence. Or nice shades how much were they. If I'm honest it becomes awkward. is it OK to just lie and say its gap or something

Most Helpful Girl

• If it makes you uncomfortable, and you do not want to lie, then you need to come up with something that is not a lie & that makes you comfortable. Correct?

How about saying, I shop so many places, "It could be anywhere." About price, "Do you really expect me to remember?" Then chuckle, and move on. This will work mainly because you're a guy & most guys do not pay attention to this stuff. NOW, these are not lies, so you could honestly say them.

Remember, just because someone asks you things, does not mean that you must give them the answer. Esp. about money issues, case in point, "How much do you make?" You should not be answering that to everyone who asks, right? You'd probably say, "Enough for now," and leave it at that.

Hope this helps.

What Girls Said 14

• who cares where you get it from? or how much you spent...its your money! if you really cared, just spend less ha ha who the hell lies about clothes. I mean, its a different story if you felt embarrassed cause it was cheap. but it was a fancy place! I don't get it :/

that camera is hot, whered you get it from? A THRIFT STORE! you jelly?

whered you get that dress? someone gave it to me...but the tag says gap

if I know I spent too much and they found out...ill just be like STFU

at least make it into a joke.

• Who cares! Just tell them the truth. If its affordable clothing, then it makes you're a smart shopper and get your moneys worth.

• Its affordable for me not others

• Oh, so its expensive. Wow.

Just tell them you don't remember.

• hmm just be honest. it might b uncomfortable in the manner in which you say it. if you say it in away that you know your clothes are expensive and you want to make sure everyone knows its gonna be uncomfortable but if your honest and just b normal about it...its whatever.

one of my good friends is from the arab gulf and he dresses in really expensive clothing and always gets compliments but he's always flattered when people compliment him and is super casual about where he gets his clothes. nothing to be uncomfortable about.

its usually how you come off.

• Say you forgot where you got it, but thank you for the compliment!

• It would seem the fact that you feel uncomfortable with your own truthful answer may be an indication that you don't like the items as much as you think you do. Why not just shop at Gap? The extra money could go somewhere else, like a sandwich for a homeless person or persons... Just a thought...

• Its my dads money and he already gives 20 percent of his income to charity

• Don't matter. If your uncomfortable, just lie cause it's not serious in this situation. Say it's from the liquidation of Versace? Anyway, the fact that they get dumb founded by your answer is more amusing than awkward.

Alternatively just find something to follow it with like some detail about it "I chose it because of this..." Flows out better into another conversation.

• No, don't say that, lol. If you don't really want them to know where you got it from, then just tell them you can't remember, because what if they find out that that's not where you got it? What will you say then?

• no it does not mean that you should lie it means that they should not be so close minded so keep it honest and enjoy your clothes I wish I could afford such prices ;)

• Don't worry about what other people say. You've got money, so what, that doesn't change who you are.

• I would just tell the truth. I tell people I model. So what. I'm not gonna lie, it like, ya know, a part of who I am I guess you could say. I'm not ashamed to be me. You should think of it that way

• tell the truth. Yeah they'll think you have money, but that's the truth, isn't it ;) don't worry abou them :)

• just tell them you can't remember where it's from

• It's not okay to lie. :P

• Why lie, sweetie YOU make the clothes look good. The clothes don't make you.

What Guys Said 4

• If you lie, you suggest that the elegance they see is only due to your beauty. Is that OK?

• Just say it was a gift

• If you just buy Gap, you don't need to lie.

• Versace ? Look good ? Impossible.

Anyway, stop being so superficial, buy cheaper clothes.

• LOL, love adbrupt comments like these. Make my day. Thanks, guy.

• I happen to be a big fan of versace. I love there suits, shoes, and ties