Any ideas on how baldness is determined?

I'm kinda worried that I'm in the beginning stages of going bald..scary man. I know it's superficial but it still would hurt. My dad's bald but my moms dad has a good head of hair. The other picture I have shows hair but recently I buzzed and realized how thin the hair on top is. Any genetic determination on this?

Most Helpful Guy

• Know how to do Punnett squares? They're great fun and the possibilities are endless!

I'm joking, sort of. They are fun but they probably won't help for this.

Personally, I think it's pretty random chance. I mean, my mom's dad had a great head of hair til his dying day. My dad's hair is super thin but no bald spots. My brother started shaving his head in his twenties to hide his baldness, whereas I have amazing thick hair. It's crazy hard to figure it all out.

Even if you can trace it to someone, looking at them doesn't help because they could have a dominant and recessive allele of the same gene, and when that happens, at it's simplest, depending on the combination they breed with, there's a crazy number of combinations it could work out to. If there are multiple genes involved (I don't know, to be honest) it just becomes exponential.

Like I said though, at my age my brother was practically bald, and my hair is like a rockstar. It's just random.

What Girls Said 5

• It's x-linked, so if your moms dad has good hair chances are you will too. It's male patterned because it's a recessive gene on the x chromosome--so a guy would need to inherit only a baldness gene from his mother to show it, whereas a girl would need two recessive xs for bald ess from both parents. Don't worry, seems like you'll be ok.

• If one of your parents has the history of baldness then you probably inherited by your parents. I found this useful article about how to cure for baldness. link

• i believe its passed down through the mothers side of the family. so you should be okay! but its not the end of the world. I have a friend whose only 20 and he's balding. but I still think he's cute! and he's still able to pick up hot girls.

• it is casued by a genetic mutation, it all depends on whose genes you got and which ones were dominant

• Depends on how many receptors you have on your head

What Guys Said 14

• As was confirmed in a German study in 2005, the gene for male pattern baldness, funnily enough, is carried on the X sex gene, not the Y. Which means it's inherited along the matrilineal line, not the patriarchal line.

If your mothers father was bald, or your mothers brothers were bald, then there's every chance you will be as well.

• I have heard that the pattern is passed along the mothers line, also. BUT, looking at what you said, (If your mother's father was bald, ... then there's every chance you will be as well), if the father is not the one passing the baldness along, then how did your mother's father pass it through her? It should have come from her mother's side.

• you have some answers on the genetic aspect. Just to add, that it's really not a big deal. I'm heavily receding, shave it, and still do well with the ladies, getting a lot of female attention and such. One thing I will add, that might be useful to you, if that it's generally a slow and gradual process. Mine started at 18, is rapid, and yet still have lots left. Generally, the later you start, the more likely that you'll still have a fair bit left well into your 30s and 40s.

• According to some scientists, it's from your maternal side, i.e. from your mother's lineage.

link

• Yep, as Belgie said, if anyone on your mothers side is bald then you'll probably go bald too.

It's kinda scary at first, but take it from me, I started balding at 19, I still have a head full of hair but the front is pretty thin now. I just shave it down and don't care. It'll be hard at first but once you understand that most women really don't care, you'll stop to care.

• It has nothing to do with your mother or her dad. Evidence shows the opposite. More evidence points to baldness occurring due to the Y chromosome meaning if your dad is bald your much more likely to go bald. It's amazing how urban legends like your mom's dad making you bald hold so much power.

• I'm already balding a little.. and I'm only 21.. and I have long hair to which pisses me off even more. Both my mom and dads side the men were bald by 30 so I'm right on track...

• Apparently the hair in males follows that of their maternal grandfathers, so you should be fine.

• Go look at your mom and your aunts and see if they are balding. Try doing it without being to obvious, you don't want them to feel bad lol.

• It is happenstance in my opinion and also is genetic. It is called male pattern baldness. Some doctors think it is from the mother's side some doctors think it is paternal. It also could be from environmental causes. I don't think you are being superficial as I love my hair and would be not so happy to lose it. Don't wear hats and keep your scalp as clean from oils as possible.

• I think its mostly genes

I think the fat that your dad is bald out weighs your mom's dad being bald

Plus if your hair is thin then its a no go

• i know for sure its in your DNA and it has nothing to do with your father's side. it only comes from a mothers side. weird I know.

• It comes from taking shirtless pics.

• I have the right answer.

You need the right combination of hormones and genes to go bald aka you need both.

Bald gene can be inherited from either the father or the mother's side of the family ( unlike the popular myth of it only being mother's side).

• Genetics, recessive, carried on the X chromosome. Women are less likely to give it, because they have a second X. I believe the genes code for something to do with testosterone, as men with baldness tend to have more testosterone then those not going bald.