How to tell my boyfriend I hate some of his clothes and I'd prefer for him not to wear them around me?

My boyfriend has this one pair of shorts I absolutely hate & never ever want to see again--and it bothers me that he wears his hats sideways...but how do I tell him this without being a meanie? :/

Most Helpful Guy

• Hopcount has it right. POSITIVE reinforcement works the best.

Instead of telling him you hate those shorts, pick him out some you like, and then tell him how attractive he is to you when he wears them instead of the other ones. Do the same thing with his hat: tell him how much better he looks with it on straight.

This approach usually prevents people from getting angry and defensive, so you have much better results that way.

• hmm this is a good idea thanks :)

What Guys Said 5

• If you're on the GAG site asking such an insipid question anonymously, how do you think you'll ever get the nads to tell anyone anything remotely meaningful to their face? Just say, "Hey "Lil' DogBreath, quit dressin like a tard or kiss off!"

• Pay some of his pals a couple of bucks each (or just ask them if you know them well) to humiliate him the next time he wears the offensive shorts in question around them. Some men respond to this kind of peer-group criticism more strongly than from their SO's. So I guess I'm saying you may have to be a meanie in this instance, but it's for his own good.

• dont be such a bitch! let him wear what he wants to wear for f*** sakes!

• It's just the one pair of shorts--all the other ones I like--except this one pair--they're printed & for working out. I don't want him to throw them out if he likes them I'd just rather he not wear them to hang out with me.

• it bothers me and if he doesn't like something I wear, I just don't wear it around him anymore

• to each there own...

• Go shopping with him and help him pick out stuff you like, but he likes also. Playfully turn his hat the way you like it and tell him it looks good that way.

• We don't have ca$h moneys for shopping, but that was a good idea. Got another one? :)

• Just tell him straight up. If he is a real man he won't bitch about it. Tell him he looks like a p**** and you think he'd look hotter wearing such and such.

What Girls Said 1

• I would say let the man wear what ever he wants. He's not a baby and you don't have to dress him. If you want someone you can dress up buy a dog. Leave the man alone. Get over being so shallow that the type of clothing he wears offends your sense of style, that's so childish it just makes me laugh.

• It's just one pair of shorts I dislike anything else he wears I couldn't care less...