What Do You Think of Black Girls' Hair?

I know I'm going to get some not so nice answers from this, but I am prepared.

Most Helpful Girl

• Im not sure I understand..hair is hair and we all have different colours, textures, movement, degrees of softness and managability depending on how well its taken care of or how many chemical processes have been done to it no matter our race.

Ive always gotten compliments and from the time I was a kid my friends who were not black would say I'm so lucky cause my hair can hold a curl and my style lasts all day, that its always soft etc. As I got older and learned how to better take care of my hair, it has the same swing and movement that I always wished I had...I can go from curly to straight and change up my style dramatically without cutting or having to process it with anything other than getting my hair relaxed every few months. And when I went all natural and had a fro..I rocked that too! I love my hair and the compliments I get on it... so I'm baffled about the not so nice answers you were expecting...Ive never had a negative view on my hair...

On top of that..within the black community you have tons of different types of hair textures...There is no one type of "black people hair"...it varies...its hair.

• Great response. You're highly articulate. A natural-born writer! (your response prompted me to peek at some of your other answers)

• The real reason I asked this question is because my (black) best friend's boyfriend (who is white) said that he doesn't like to touch black people's hair, and I've also heard a lot of other white people that think black people's hair is generally not as nice as the other types. Yes, I know that hair is hair, and yes I know that hair types can vary no matter what race. I expected not so nice answers just as I expected nice ones.

• Wow...It does make me wonder how many women they have come across (who would even let them touch their hair of course)

What comes to mind is the misinformation that black hair don't need to washed often, or to put a lot of oil into it... That is of course not healthy and will make it greasy and dirty to boot...definitely not touchable. But then...if a white person did that it would feel ick too.

So either way, how one handles and takes care of their hair is what makes the difference.

What Guys Said 6

• I'm white, but I guess I like pretty much everything about black women, including their hair. My ex used to straighten her hair, and then switched to braids, but I preferred the natural feel of her hair as it was. Guess everyone wants what they don't have. Black women straighten their hair, white women curl theirs. Black women want lighter skin, white women sit in the sun for hours trying to get darker. What a world!

• Not sure why you weren't expecting nice answers but I'll try to be nice. I like most versions of black girls hair, afro, braid, curls...it doesn't really matter too much so long as they've tried to do anything with it. I used to like the looser curls but I have no idea what the girl had to do to get her hair that way. Straightening seems like such a bother unless it's what YOU want.

Good luck

• I don't think it's bad or good, just different. If you are talking about black women wearing their hair natural then I think the best style is probably microbraids, or when you just relax it just a little bit with an iron but it's still really curly (like the girl Mary Jane from the movie "Half Baked" link ). Afros look good on black women if it's long/big and poofed out - it kind of gives them a rocker chick kind of look.

• Wow you seem to know a lot about black girls' hair. Would you have a black sister, wife, girlfriend, or something by any chance?

• I've dated a couple of black girls in the past.

• i am black so hehe I love black women..we have the nice face, boobs, and definately da ass. but we don't have the hair...lol. they can't get their hair wet...lol. I prefer black women's hair to be natural because a lot of times, those wigs or weaves just look fake and not real.

please I need ur opinion on my question as well so please check ma profile.

• I'm a black female and that is so not true:) as a black female I don't wear weaves or wigs I don't care about getting my hair wet because it will dry:) and I don't care if guys pull in it:))) actually I like when guys pull in my hair!

• I'd love to stroke a typical black girls' curly hair, but my beloved wife has objections.

I understand her, it looks lovely LOL

• I think black women often put out more effort than other women and are very creative ,I have talked to women that I complemented on their hair and they have told me it took 8hrs and cost 300 dollars it can be very beautiful, if nothing is done it with done with it ,i don't find it attractive

What Girls Said 14

• I find it as facinating as any other ladies hair. That's the beauty of the world. We are all so different. Some ladies have great hair and great style while others are very odd.

• i mean, when women with red and blonde cornrows I don't think it's attractive. personally I think the afro looks really good on black women.

• I'm black and my hair naturally grows realllly wavy at the roots but the only reason that I get a perm and straighten etc etc is because I kinda have sensitive scalp so when my hair is growing it itches and it hurts a bit so combing through all that new hair is painful at times ( but it feels great to the touch lol). Keep in mind though, that 'black girl hair' isn't standard; there are a lot of different kinds of textures and all that good stuff. My great great grandfather was an Englishman so I think we (my siblings) got a touch of it from it. Nothing wrong with going natural of course; I know tons of girls down here that rock it natural and look great!

• it can look kinda garish if it's not your natural color.

• I think it depends on how youn look I really like black girls hair that is abit like an afro for example Sasha out of hollyoaks but then again she is really good lookin girl so can carry it off.... its ok likin a hair style but if it doesn't suit you what's the point best going to a salon and askin a hair stylish what they think would be best for you they may think it will look great on you or if not offer you an alernative.

• I agree with both of you, because as ivarei said "it can look garish". But it depend on what color you color your hair meaning whether or not that color fits you. Like Rose202 said.

• this question seems weird lol ... seems a bit fishy 2 me. did your friends boyfriend REALLY tell you that.. or did you just want to ask this question but didn't wanna seem racist. 'cuz white bfs I've had in the past loved my hair especially when it was in braids, said I looked exotic and ethnic.

Life is about being openminded.

• No, my friend told me that her boyfriend said that. She seemed really bothered by it, so I guess it started to bother me because I hadn't thought of that. So yeah, no fishiness here.

• Oh sorry hun, I misunderstood ur question, I thought you were sayin that he told YOU that he didn't like his GF's hair. my bad >.>

• Darkangelina....based on your profile pic, I love your hair...and yes...I'm white, but that doesn't stop me from loving black women....as a matter of fact, I'd like to pull your hair while I sex you up!!! In return, I'd let you shove my head wherever you like!! I LOVE BLACK PEOPLLLLLLLLEEE!!!!!!!!

• well I'm going to completely honest there is no such thing as " black girl hair" like it has already been said there is sooooooooo many different types of hair and ofcourse there is because everyone has diff genes and DNA and blah blah blah.. no ones hair is identical.. I ( being mixed) inact have to diff grades of hair on my head LITERALLY lol.. its called curly wavy.. I wear my hair natural and blow dry it wear bangs all that good stuf depends on my mood and the season.. lol because in the summer curly is a breeze!f.. my mother has completely diff grade of hair however and so does my sis..

• I'm a black girl and my natural hair is curly and totally frizzy and everything. I use the mosturizing products just because it keeps it from being dry and that's unhealthy and is easier for split ends. I also just straighten it but before I do I use the heat protect stuff you can get anywhere and yaa. I don't know I just like my hair straight, it's kinda the style for everyone now even other races that also have curly or frizzy hair straighten it with the instyler and I LOVE my hair. Black women have it hard because it takes so much to take care of our hair. But my advice is to not get fake hair just to make it easier. It usually looks unnatural and its worth while to just take care of your own natural born hair. Trust me its possible. If you have curly hair you are lucky because I absolutely love the brown curly hair unlike my natural before straightened frizzy hair. lol. I don't hate my hair I just like it better straightened. But the sholder length curly hair is absolutely adorable! Kinda like an afro but curlier and too long to be an afro. It looks better once you get product too just make it not sooo curly though. My hair is way past my shoulders about mid back and I am trying to grow it a little longer. Just take good care of you natural hair there are tons of products so you won't have to result to sigs or weaves or extensions =]

• I don't like this question..

But I'm a black girl and I have stright black hair so some black girls fall into stero type with nappy hair and some black girls dont..and for the record I'm not mixed with anything.!

• I agree, I don't like this question either, there's no need to ask this question unless you don't like black hair..

• I like black hair. Read the comment I put for missnicole to find out why I asked this question.

• black girls hair is perfectly fine if you keep it up and take care of it.

• why are you asking this? are you black?

• Yeah and I'm asking because I want to know.

• Im native american and black and my hair is very curly I love my hair :) ! it unique and different !

• when it is taken care of of and maintained, I think black girls' hair is very beautiful especially when it is left natural instead of straightened.

• We don't all have the same type of hair or wear it the same. I'm black and I don't care what people think of my hair, but I do hate when people randomly ask me if its all mine or something. Get the hell outta my head! Other people's opinions don't matter to me, I don't need their approval!

• I think it can look cool when black girls have like a tight fro. I think it is weird when they get weaves or perm it straight. They should just be who they are and wear their hair natural.

• Theres nothing wrong with weaves or perms, african american women likes to try new styles, and believe it or no, weaves makes some of our hair grow.

• Ahh. Interesting.

• We do like to try new and different things. But the part I hate is when we do it for the benefit of someone else liking it. Instead of us liking it for ourselves first.