Best Salon/Drugstore Shampoo?

I am losing hair like there is no tomorrow, my theory is because I used to tease my hair a lot, and I noticed the hair loss started to kick in, when I first began teasing. It's been 3 months and no teasing, I will never tease again. I used to have really thick hair, now it's really fragile, dry, and thin. I lose about 4 to 5 fists full of hair, a day. I hate taking showers now, cause I am so scared to see all that hair fall out. Can anyone recommend a really good shampoo and conditioner that will help fight against hair loss, and make it strong and healthy again please?

Most Helpful Girl

• Oh my goodness... I've got something to share with you on this hair loss issue..! I've been wanting to share this with others, but I didn't really have anyone around me who suffers from hair loss and severely dry/damaged hair. Haha ok.. So I've been on this acne medication called Claravis for about 3 months and a half, and it's really drying my skin out and unfortunately my scalp and hair too. My scalp started getting so dry that I even started getting headaches from it. It was also really sensitive and my hair started falling out. I didn't have bald spots or anything, but I definitely noticed some thinning of the hair. especially along the hairline and where I parted my hair.) I was pretty upset since I used to have beautiful thick hair. Then I started searching on the Internet for some information on hair loss and dry skin, and that's when I found 'castor oil'! I had never even heard of it until a few weeks ago, and I'm absolutely in love with it now! I put it on my scalp and all through out the hair at night before going to bed and put a shower cap on, go to bed, then wash it off in the morning. It moisturizes my hair and scalp. And the best thing about castor oil is that it promotes hair growth! I've been using it 4-5 days a week for almost 3 weeks now, and my hairline's gradually coming back to normal, and I have a ton of baby hairs all over my head, and they're getting longer too! It's amazing. I don't get random headaches anymore from dry scalp, and my dry/damaged hair has gotten so much softer/healthier too. Another thing that helped with my hair was switching the shampoo from Dove/Fructis/Herbal Essences/Aussie to Aveno shampoo and I love it. You don't have to get Aveeno, but you need to make sure it's a "sodium lauryl sulfate free" shampoo. SLS dries your hair out and can cause cancer. And if you don't have one already, go get a wide comb brush! I use a wide comb brush to brush my wet hair after washing it. It's much eaiser to untangle your hair with it and therefore you lose less hair in the brushing process. Lastly, take some iron supplements! I know this doesn't help with dryness of the skin, but a lot of women have iron deficiency and that leads to hair loss. I've noticed that I lose more hair towards that time of the month, and it all makes sense cause you lose a lot of iron through the blood during that time. I've taken biotin before too, but it made me break out and made my nails like little rocks and my hair really rough. And drinking water is always good. Good for skin, hair, brain, etc.

1. Castor oil (100% pure. Either Jamaican Black Cator oil or the original one)

2. Sulfate-free shampoo

3. Wide comb brush

4. Iron supplements

I know how it feels to go through hair loss. It's devastating. I'm not a doctor nor a dermatologist, but these are some of the things I've tried that have done wonders for me with my hair situation. I really hope you recover from it soon too! But remember, you're beautiful no matter what! :-D

What Guys Said 1

• It's normal to lose hair. It's just very noticeable when you have longer hair.

Try to shampoo once a day at the very most. More chemicals aren't going to help your cause. Let the natural oils reinvigorate your hair.

What Girls Said 5

• Goldwell, Bed Head, Paul Mitichell.

• that happens to my hair brush it before you get in the shower. and go to the hair stylist and cut it, and ask her what to do.

• for stronger hair, use macadamia natural oil based hair masks.

if you have the money, try Fekkai or Biolage.

i usually use Pantene Pro V, I should probably switch it up, though.

have you tried asking your local hair salon for recommendations?

• Sebastian or Biolage are really good shampoos, I get great results.

• Have you had any dramatic hormonal shifts in the last 6-12 months? like starting or stopping the pill, getting pregnant, or entering menopause?

Have you had your thyroid checked recently?

Is it possible you have some sort of scalp fungus?

Just some things to think about, definitely see your doctor to find out for sure.

• oh and also if you're extreme dieting/exercising or if you're under severe stress, that will do it too.