I'm only 5'8". Could I have played basketball?

While I'm out of shape and wouldn't have wanted to anyway, I was curious as to if I had wanted to play, would my high school basketball coach have asked me to play. I sometimes wish I had played. I'm too small for football and I'm not fast enough for baseball.

Most Helpful Guy

• Nope. A smaller-than-average player in any sport needs to be quick and agile to compensate. If you were too slow for baseball, you'd definitely be too slow for basketball.

5'8" is actually a pretty good height for a tailback, slot receiver or corner, even in the NFL (eg. Ray Rice, MJD, Darren Sproles, etc) - again, you'd generally need to be fast, but there are exceptions - Wes Welker is only 5'9" and not particularly quick, but he makes up for it with precise route running and good hands.

• Hahahaha Wes Walker is a super fast dude compared to non-atheletes

• Yeah, of course he is - even a 250lb NFL linebacker is super fast compared to a non-athlete. The point is that Welker has average-at-best speed compared to his peers. The OP is talking about high school sports, so he only needs average quickness compared to high school players.

What Girls Said 2

• yes,maybe not defense,but short guys are usually playmakers or whatever they're called (I know nothing about sports,this is all what I've heard from hearing guys talk about sports,so I might just be confused)

• Probably not...

What Guys Said 5

• When talking about high school sports, you really can't be too small or too slow unless you are exceedingly small (5'8" is not exceedingly small) or run at a glacial speed. You can be quite successful with good technique and knowledge of the game.

• Since when do you need to be fast to play baseball? If you learn to hit well or have a good arm they'll find a spot for you. Height really doesn't matter too much in baseball either.

• Maybe if you learned to be quick (not fast) and saw the floor the way a John Stockton or Danny Ainge did. If you learned to got open to shoot 3's then yes. If you were excellent at free throw shooting then yes. My father played for Virginia Tech and was only 5 foot 9. Boy he could shoot a basketball. Having a big heart is what is needed when not naturally gifted athletically.

• Of course you could. I'm 5' 9" and I started two years. I was a really quick pg with good vision and great defense. Couldn't do a ton of scoring but if you can play defense you usually are an asset to the team.

• link You're taller than some of these guys.