How do I get my boyfriend to stop wearing this one shirt?

Before I come off as controlling, let me tell you, it's a nice shirt. I have nothing wrong with the shirt. It's his favorite, though and he wears it ALL the time. Which I'd understand if "all the time" meant once a week. But it means three-five times a week. This is called not only weird, but poor hygiene.

I've tried to drop hints to him. I think they're obvious. I don't want to come out and say it because he REALLY likes this shirt.

I've said stuff like, "wow, you certainly wear that shirt, a lot, huh? Why not give it a break and wear a different one?"

And he always answers with, "Don't you like this shirt?" and when I say yes he goes, "Then don't be hating. It's a good shirt and I like to wear it."

Most Helpful Guy

• its alright as long as he washes it regularly. try buying similar shirts, most likely made out of the same fabric. iam wearing my fav shirt in my photo. fits me perfectly and is very comfy. tapout makes awesome shirts I also have another one. I have a bunch of shirts actually...probably like a dozen. my ex claimed I had a shirt addiction

• Lol that's funny. A shirt addiction. My boyfriend, other than this shirt, doesn't seem to like to wear shirts at all. I don't get it lol

What Guys Said 6

• Anyone who says 'don't be hating' in response to reasonable criticism is beyond hope of moral redemption and should be dumped immediately..if not sooner...

• You shouldn't have answered "yes", you should have said "I like it when you wear it no more than once a week, but when you wear it so often, it's very unattractive."

• I should have, but I wasn't thinking then I guess :/

• My advice is to get used to it if you can. If you can't, then ask him why he wears it so much and tell him that you think it's weird that he wears it three or more times in a week.

• "Your shirt smells"

• I'm afraid you're going to have to be blunt with him. Uncleanliness is not attractive.

• Honesty is the best policy here. If he wants to wear it so often, tell him he smells because of it. If he still doesn't listen, it's time for a new boyfriend

• Maybe I'll try that lol

• Very true. Next time I see him, I'll bring up the shirt.

• You should add me, you sound cool!

What Girls Said 5

• Buy him some more nicer shirts or ask to borrow the shirt and then don't give it back for a little while, meaning he'll have to wear different things and then you can say "wow you look so much hotter in that.." that's what I'd do anyway! Good luck.

• you could buy a similar one like it(same style different color) and hope he wears it.. but honestly who cares? he likes it, eventually it will wear out or it won't... my dad still wears his shirts from the 80's, my mom hates it.. but even if we were billionaires he'd wear the same shirts, he is like that, and I'm the same actually, maybe it has sentimential value.. or maybe he knows it bugs you and is doing it on purpose..

• Do his laundry for him and then hide it for a while. He will have to wear another shirt. I did this to my boyfriend with a pair of shorts he wore like that (clean boxers under every time). Or you could mention to him that if it is his favorite shirt he could: (a) get more of them, (b) be careful because wearing it all the time will wear it out very quickly. Or you could offer to take him shopping and find more shirts that he likes so he at least has enough to last him a week...

• It's his team shirt, so it'd be impossible to get a similar one, and we don't live together so I can't do his laundry.

• Dispose is ASAP :D

• Perhaps take him shopping, say something like, let's find you some more favorite shirts, then you can alternate them and you can look fresh all the time. :) This is just another hint, you'd still have to tell him sometime or another that you want him to wash his shirt.

Is he lazy with his hygiene in other areas?

• No, he showers regularly, brushes his teeth and hair, wears deodorant, flosses, washes his face, keeps himself groomed...the only thing is this shirt. It's like a part of his body or something. lol

• Wow lol

• Yeah...I don't get it either.