Do you think good looking people get special treatment?

My friend and I both went to the same job interview on the same day and he ended up getting the job while I was WAY more qualified than him. I have 5 years more experience and am just a way better of a candidate than him. I'm average looking and he's like 6'3 with the type of green eyes that girls go crazy over.

We got interviewed by the same people, 3 younger ladies. My interview went really well. He said his was lot of laughing and smiling and not much talk about the actual position. Do you think he got the job just because he was better looking?

Most Helpful Girl

• Probably.

I asked a lot of people this question after it was asked before regarding jobs, and everyone said yes. It is a form of discrimination nonetheless, but humans seem to be more inclined to listen and be interested in other humans who are good looking.

Hence the " Handsome Player Boys " and " Snobby Pretty Girls," portrayed in movies and society as stereotypically getting all the attention from the opposite and same gender. Hell happens in all parts of life.

Super hot chick walks into the office one day - suddenly all the other average looking hard working girls are put on the back burner.

Good looking perks I believe range from all aspects of life:

Attention - usually good, sometimes bad due to jealousy - either way, your still getting recognition of existing, typically of the " wow they're so hot," variety. People feel the need to compare themselves to you, your looks could make people instantly insecure, people tend to idolize good looking people - want to get closer to them, know them, whether negatively or positively.

Confidence - without having looks be a damper on life in a world where looks are highly regarded - good looking people tend to be really confident.

I say this also helps with " job " interviews, because confidence means your so comfy in your skin that more of your personality can show - making you overall more likable perhaps. You don't worry about judgement from others because you assume you have nothing physically to be judged about. It's ten times easier to start a conversation with people and enjoy being expressive when your lookin good. It makes you feel really good about yourself.

Love / Dating - That's pretty self explanatory lol :P

More options I'm sure - doesn't neccessarily mean in a good sense though.

Favors -

People just do stuff for good looking people lol, especially good looking women. Can range from simply going out of their way to be extra nice to that person, or buying them whatever they please.

Oy.

For a world that focuses on beauty - it sure is an ugly place : /

What Girls Said 5

• Yes. There has been numerous studies showing humans tend to be more receptive to better looking people. We tend also associate looks with intelligence.

• Absolutely...makes me sick. :p

• Looks and charisma help out a lot. with all the other ISMs in the world, I wouldn't doubt that he got the job over you based on looks

• Yeah

• yes. it sucks but it's human nature

What Guys Said 2

• Yes, looks do matter. Human beings are naturally attracted to attractive people. Beautiful people have a positive bias in their favor, even though the people giving the favoritism don't even realize what their doing. I'm glad I was born 6'1", as being taller at work as a guy makes people take you more seriously, especially if I stand up straight. Good posture, good clothing and good looks/height matter a lot, not just skills. Ideally, you try to maximize the most of what you already have in everything.

• 2 explanation:

1. you might be overqualified

2. you might be a fit with the company. in other words, they don't like your personality and you just do not jell in with their culture. For example, if you were the boss, would you hire someone whos super qualified but is a giant weirdo and non sociable - and you have to work with this person all year round. Or would you like someone who is not as qualified but is easy to work with, funny, and sociable. Don't know about you, but that is an easy choice for me.