How come these clothes fit?

Okay, so I have measurements of 40-35-40 , which is obviously pretty big right ? Well , according to most size charts I should be xl. Well when I go shopping , I can always fit into mediums ! I don't understand it. like yesterday I was at forever 21 and I tried on this dress

link

in a size medium and it fit perfectly ! wtf is going on. it gets really annoying. maybe I'm not measuring myself right ? if it makes a difference I'm 145lbs and 5'2. whenever I shop I usually were mediums , sometimes smalls and sometimes larges

Most Helpful Guy

• Clothing stores and clothing labels deliberately put the sizes wrong, because female psychology makes them buy things that fit if the size is smaller than expected.

A girl goes into shop A, tries on a dress that she likes. It's a size 16 and fits perfectly. She is upset, because this means she is a size 16. Even though she likes the dress, she will not buy it because it is damaging to her self-esteem

The same girl goes into shop B. Tries on a similar dress. It's listed as a size 12.

She'll buy it.

• wow that's actually pretty clever. never thought of it like that

What Guys Said 3

• Store sizes can be all over the map. It happens for guys too but much,much more for women. Also womens clothing manufacturers lie to women about sizes to make them feel good. Women can actually buy a size 0 dress.

• Don't wear a flower pattern with a body like yours. It is not flattering. Choose to believe me or not. Some places are deceiving with sizes also so you are probably the size you say you are and the clothes are probably mismarked. Women are tricked in so many ways with fashion I am surprised there has not been a revolt yet :D

• Some stores size their clothing differently a small for some might be a medium by another stores standards. It's also possible that you're in better shape than you think and actually picking appropriate sized clothing for your figure.

What Girls Said 4

• well 40 - 35 - 40 isn't that big, I wouldn't have thought you size charts would tell you to wear xl. But ya I noticed the same, I'm thin but not tiny. When I went shopping the other day I put on jeans that fit perfectly and when I looked at the label they turned out to be a size 0. I was like wtf, I'm not a size zero. According to most size charts I'd be a size 4 ,maybe 2 but not 0. And then in other stores a size 4 is very tight and go for a size 6, it's stupid and makes it really ard to buy online

• It depends on the material.

• Same here I am pretty big, but one store I went into I was a size 6 (expensive), size 8, 10, to even a 13. It all depends on what store you go to, what brand and the quality.

• Clothing sizes are different store to store and can even vary a lot within a store itself.