What do you think when you see a black girl wearing her hair natural?

I'm black and I wear my hair natural and it seems to come as such a shock to people I interact with on a daily basis (mostly school). And it comes from people of every race and ethnicity. It just shocks them and they ask all these questions and want to touch my hair. Is it really that big of a deal that I don't relax my hair or put a weave in? I get why but at the same time it still baffles me.

So to my real question when you see a black girl with natural hair what comes to mind? What do you think? Are there any assumptions that you make?

I know why some black girls choose to relax their hair or put a weave in, because they feel that it is easier. But I have seen the time and money some woman spend and it is crazy. Yeah it takes a while to do my hair but it is strong and healthy, and yes you can run you hand through it because it is course and curly but not "nappy". "nappy" means not taken care of. my hair is very thick and very curly but I comb and brush it all the time and it is clean and taken care of.

Why is this such a big deal? I understand in the past why it would be a big deal, but in this day and age it seems crazy.

Please be honest, no judgement here.

Most Helpful Guy

• well I don't think much about it because tbh I wouldn't really notice her much in the first place. when it comes to women I don't like that kind of hair and you won't find many men who have a natural ,course type of hair as their preference. is that fair? prob not. guess that's how society is atm

What Guys Said 7

• My favorite is straight hair.

My second favorite is 'natural' black hair. I actually like most of the links in p.l.c's question.

My least favorite is wavy/curly. You know. Like mine -_-

• I love natural hair on black women. It looks great

• That is really great! Honest

• I like that and appreciate you for being a natural beautiful woman :)

• Not that big of a deal. Most black girls I went to school with had their natural hair, not all but most.

• I don't really think anything about it when I see it, really. I'm glad that you are embracing it the way it is, though.

• I don't make assumptions about it. I usually don't like how it looks though. It doesn't attract me at all.

What Girls Said 3

• Guys on here stress "natural" but they forget all about that concept when it comes to expecting girls to straighten their curly or African American hair

Mind you, a majority of users on here are white & aren't attracted to anything that isn't white to begin with, so you may not receive the answers you're looking to hear.

That said, healthy hair is better than damaged, unmanageable hair or suffering from hair loss. People complain when black girls wear weaves, yet expect black girls to put in all of these damaging chemicals, so it's a lose-lose situation

Do whatever you want

• You Go Girl!

• I see a lot of other black girls wearing their hair natural now. Maybe a good 30% of girls are natural now. I think its a good thing but I don't have any automatic stereotypes for a natural girl when I see one. Other than wondering about what products she uses if it looks good.