The great debate: Makeup!

I am a girl, and I don't wear make up, heck I don't even own any!

Guys, do you prefer girls with make up or without? Or maybe in moderation?

Honestly, if girls wear make up to feel confident that's OK, but don't over do it! :)

I personally don't see the need for make up most of the time. No one has flawless skin, so having a pimple or something isn't always bad, everyone gets them! Seeing girls who wear makeup 24/7 and than without, they don't look much different to me. Make up when your out on a date is OK, but not caking on everything! Embrace your natural beauty! :)

So what is your opinion on make up and girls these days? Do you think the media is giving the wrong impression to younger girls coming up into their teenage years?

Most Helpful Girl

• I know a couple of girls who actually have flawless skin. It's sickening. Yet, they still wear a little eye shadow, some mascara and gloss up the list. It's simply a nice way to polish up and step up your final look. Some women do need the magic of the brush and hey, it gives her the confidence to step out and be the best she can be. Whether she cakes it on or not is her prerogative.

The only natural beauty that is worth being mentioned is the one from within. I think make up, as well as style should be an outward expression of who you are on the inside.

Teen magazines have a tendency to show only one kind of beauty and I think they could do a much better job at showcasing the true spectrum of beauty that exists in all of society. We cannot count on magazines to do this though. We have to force them to give it to us by demanding it. We make fun of fat people, people who look different, short people ect. If we loosened our own definition of beauty, then they'd be forced to as well. They only show us what we want to see.

What Girls Said 15

• This is not the great debate because it's been asked a million f***ing times

If the girl HAS natural beauty, then no makeup. If she's ugly, then she better do whatever she can to look good.

• Everybodys view of a persons looks is a different, so not everyone can see someone as "ugly" If a person is confident without makeup then let them be, wether you view them as "ugly" or not :)

• Then why are you asking? Obviously no guy is going to say "yeah, I rather the ugly chick with no makeup over the attractive chick with some."

And guys and girls both have views on ugly, so I never said my opinion on ugly was standard

• I wear makeup as a way to express myself creatively. I see it as an accessory to my outfit more than anything else. Some days it's rainbow eyes, other days it's bright red lips, and some days it's more natural (or none at all) because I'm feeling more subdued and less bold.

As a teenager I had moderate to severe acne and my mother flat out refused to let me wear any sort of makeup. Due to that I have no problem going out without it (especially now that my skin has cleared up). However, I wear it to work every day so that I appear polished and professional and I wear it on casual days if the mood strikes me.

• No. Some girls have flawless skin. I have seen this myself.

Anyway, I spent majority of my life not wearing makeup. But I really got interested in it one day. I loved doing the face painting. I loved doing artistic looks

.and glamorous ones. I liked changing it up. I have a passion for makeup. I don't just like it for fixing imperfections or enhancing features.

The media does give girls false hop. But I never cared for the media. I personally just decided makeup artistry. I am comfortable without makeup and f***ed up skin. When I put it on I tend to do natural looks on myself. I don't pull off the edgy stuff too well. But I love doing it on other people.

• I honestly only clicked on this question because you said you were a girl and it had a guys icon.

I used to never wear makeup then , I don't know why, but I started wearing it more and more. Now I wear it all of the time. Media could possibly be giving off the "Do this and look like this" vibe. I know a lot of girls feel pressure to be pretty.

• I'm confused. Are you a guy or a girl? :p

I think that makeup is fine as way/form of expressing yourself creatively or enhancing a girl's features. However, I think that the average amount of makeup women wear is a bit too much.

A girl should be able to wear makeup, but not so much that she cannot be seen without it. :)

• I personally love wearing make up. Not just because of the customization aspect, but because it doesn't make me look so plain.

As for younger girls wearing make up, I think it depends on the age. I guess if they're not going overboard with it, it's fine. But if they're spending hundreds of dollars on make up, or hundreds of dollars on make up at places like Sephora or MAC, and they're 13/14/15, that's a little overboard. Especially since they're not even spending they're own money at that point for top grade stuff.

I'm rambling. I'm stopping now.

• *Scratches head* You're a girl? But your icon .. is ... a ... !? ... nevermind. I too don't wear make up. However, I don't knock those who do. I guess it's what makes your comfortable.

• I will choose the guy loving me because of my bare face. But I love light make up, and I do it for my own sake. Light make up will always make girls look brighter and prettier, regardless her skin 's good or not.

• I'm too lazy for make up, but it's fun applying it. I don't feel any different with it on, I just feel like me but with paint on my face.

• some people are beautiful without makeup. you don't need to paint your face so much pretty lady, just a touch of color here and there should be fine :) I personally just go with eyebag concealer, mascara and some blusher (on my pale days).

• never do unless its to "cover" stuff

i don't care if people don't like my natural face, I do. at the end of the day, if a guy is gonna be with me, he is gonna see me without make up at some point so why put on a front?

• make up rocks

• Enough with this f***ing question!

A word to the clueless: Wear what you want, be who you want, stop trying to please men! Please yourselves!

• What about if you enjoy makeup? People always assume girls wear it because we're insecure or hiding. No some of us just enjoy it as a art form, like putting it on and are really into it. I do what the f*** I want lol

• Natural beauty is great but you don't own any? There are some occasions that you need makeup for its part of being a woman. I like to look good when I go out on the town.

What Guys Said 6

• First switch your gender and icon here on GaG to female. Then you will discover you need less makeup.

• I don't mind light make up and sometimes it makes a girl even more cute, but the most beautiful girl I've ever seen didn't use make up. So it's definitely not necessary. Strong make up only works if it's for a certain occasion for example the prom we have in Finland. It's a bit different. We dress up in the style of 18th-19th century Vienna and dance old dances like waltz and tango.

So anyway my opinion is no make up or light make up.

• As long as you're comfortable in it, I don't really care if you wear it or not

• Anyone can do anything they like...and I am free to not date them if I choose not to...(:(:(:

• Calling it a "great debate" is giving it too much credit. I'm pretty sure this is how it goes. We men claim to like no makeup, but in reality, we don't know what we're talking about and we really do like makeup (in moderation) because, in effect, it makes the girl look better. Women understand that men don't know what they're talking about, and most women approve of / wear makeup (in moderation).

I myself think that if a girl can pull off no makeup, then she should by all means go for it. But most women look better with a bit of makeup so they should go with that.

I don't really think it's a great debate though. You may not wear makeup, but most women do, and most men like a bit of makeup (even if they don't admit it).

• Peacelovecouture gave a great answer- you may not like it but listen to her