People always say girls are not as hung up on looks, physical appearences as guys are, how is that accurate?

I always have seen hot, cute, pretty, good-looking girls dating, with good-looking, handsome-looking guys themselves, yet girls always claim they are not as attracted to looks as guys are, so where is the logical evidence that guys are more attracted to looks, physical appearences than girls are? I would love some elaborate information here.

Most Helpful Guy

• something tells me that is true, but I'm not sure if I completely believe it or not

What Girls Said 13

• I think that both men and women are attracted initially by looks but that kind of makes sense because we as animals look for the healthiest and best potential mate, they often look for features that they would like in their offspring. However, I think males are more visually orientated biologically anyway, and its probably down to the fact that in the animal world a lot of males don't stick around for long after the mating. Although, there are traits other than appearance that affect males too, based most likely on how likely are his offspring to survive if he mates with a certain female. Also you have to take into account the fact that we have evolved quite a bit from our animal relatives in the brain and emotion department so I'm no scientist but I'm sure there are much more complex reasons behind why we behave the way we do. What I do get from actual life experience myself is that although women do focus on appearance too, women's brains seemed to be swayed an awful lot more by other traits such as personality, again this has probably a lot to do with mating and offspring and how we are biologically tuned.

For example, a guy might watch a film with a hot actress in it and will think wow look at her chest or legs or lips or whatever and think 'shes hot' but a girl might watch a film with an actor in it who she may not find really physically attractive but his character is cute and funny and really kind and be like to there friends 'aww he is so lovely, I love him!' ...what I'm trying to say is that girls often fall in love with the 'characters' portrayed by an actor.

• Looks are what first attract me to a person but I can look past it. There are guys that wouldn't be considered 'attractive' at all but there's just something that attracts me to them. Even though I'm not attracted to their physical appearance, there's just something that causes me to gravitate towards them.

Beauty can develop though.

• I would say girls are more likely to date an obese boy then a guy dating an obese girl, but that's probably inaccurate now. Even if they don't matter that much, everyone is still shallow to an extent. Hey, they're only human.

• Whether we like to admit it or not, it's human instinct and ANIMAL instinct (yes, we're animals) to get with someone based on a physical appearance. All humans find different traits of a person attractive.

I happen to be attracted to men that no one else is attracted to. I couldn't tell you why I find life's freaks attractive. I just do.

• It all depends on the person

• I have no idea where all this comes from. Girls are very much into attractive guys. We are all visual creatures

• This is my oppinion, but I don't think you should judge anybody just based off of what you've just said. Everybody is different, if a man was so great looking, if he didn't have a personality that was worth loving, I wouldn't be with him. But not everyone agrees truly, because everyone has different ideals. If a girl doesn't want to be with you because of how you look than she's not worth it. But this is for everybody, for men and women alike.

• Depends. Sometimes I'm all for a hot guy, other ones I want to know someones personality completely. Same for men I think.

• Women judge on looks

• I think it's true. I've seen beautiful girls with guys who people wouldn't say are hot. I've never seen a hot guy with a below average girl. It would never happen. Guys care about looks more than girls.

• debateable but I think you are right, hard to say

• I think also girls like attractive guys, of course...But I think we feel that there's more pressure on women to be this ideal image. Women feel that men have to have the girls on the magazines, which very few of us resemble.

I'm not saying there's no pressure on men, I know there is! But women are objectified and compared to these idealistic images. So to a lot of us it may seem that men only want the tall, skinny, blond girl. While we still have our regular standard of wanting average guys. So maybe that's why we're not so hung up on the physical? I think, though both male and females like an attractive partner, men are more visual then women. Or maybe that's just me..I don't know. That's what I think.

• We say it but don't really mean it.

• Why do you lie about this?

I'm not being accusatory, I'm just curious.

• Hmm...cause regardless of what any other guy says a not so great looking guy can be just as much of a jacka$$ as a good looking guy can be. Some of them may be even worse...

• I guess to get more attention? Some people just need to feel wanted

• Cause more women than men tell my obese ass that I'm beautiful or pretty.

What Guys Said 8

• Girls base things less on looks then guys do.

That doesn't mean looks don't matter.

A lot.

They just matter a little less.

• Most people take the best of what is available to them.

And since since looks matter to BOTH genders (slightly less for women than for men)...that's why you typically see the best looking people with the best looking ppl.

• The very best looking people of both genders are always going to have a lot of people to choose from. Can you really blame them from taking the best? Average looking and ugly girls have to settle much more than attractive ones.

• bullsh*t, they judge us on every detail.

• My sight begs to differ every day.

• There is none. Women are as looks driven as men are.

• blame the media

• DEBATABLE