Why is it when women reach a certain age, they cut their hair short?

Why is it when women reach a certain age, they cut their hair short? Usually extremely short or shorter than shoulder length.

Thank you to all who have answered. =) It seems the common answer is easier to take care ^_^ but I doubt that I'd do that unless I would have to. haha.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's easier to take care of. Old women don't have a time to make hairstyles and stuff like that. Also, I think sometimes the hair follicles become weaker as they age and they will suffer from too much hair loss, and usually the longer hair strands tend to fall more easily than the shorter ones. So cutting their hair will reduce this hair loss.

What Guys Said 3

• Easier to manage.

• ...when they are older? because they are oldeR?

• Yes for a long time she did. But now she's embracing her hair's natural color.

• =) that's good

• That's the way older women are!

They may think that short hair makes them look younger as well as easy to manage.

• I wonder about the same, but it's not exactly because of the age, it's usually after the marriage.

They often justify it with "easier to take care of" or "making other men less likely to pay attention" but the truth is that they're just letting themselves go - dirty and straightforward!

• i think women get tired of taking an hour in the bathroom on their hair. its tiring for me and I'm only 16. for a women who is older, they don't even have as much energy

What Girls Said 4

• Probably cause they consider it to be a more mature look. The biggest reason has to be the thinning of hair and having a cut that can hide bald spots. To hide balding, you need to have a hair cut that you can easily give body to. Also when you get older, you have less patience to care for long hair.

• Like sfauo said, probably so it is easier to take care of!

But I have also noticed that a lot of older women will have more difficulty growing their hair longer once they have chopped it all off. I would personally keep my long hair because it will take forever to grown back and also people tend to lose their hair when they get to a certain age (everyone's different).

• Because it is easier to manage. ;-)

• Its easier to manage. Short hair its like part of a mature woman look... Honestly I saw an 80 year old with hair long up to her breasts. I mean that just looked horrible.