Question about gauges

I see a lot of people with gauges now and I can't help but wonder if in 20 years they will still be happy with the large holes in their ears. I never wanted to do anything to my body that I couldn't take back when I got older cause I guess I'm just a prude that way LOL

have you guys thought about this or is there anyone out there with buyers remorse about gauges?

Most Helpful Girl

• Quite a lot of people I know have them, they do shrink up overtime but there's a limit of what can be rescued skin wise. Everyone seems to be jumping on that band wagon at the moment, I don't see the appeal so much but c'est la vie. They can be sewn up and glued by piercers over here in England for about £50 so it's not considered all that much for a fashion statement like stretchers.

I personally am not a fan, they look okay on some people but I'd never do them myself despite having piercings and tattoos, I think the gauges without the plug in it look like little cat bottoms and that's enough to put me off. There are far more stranger body modifications out there which are more cause for concern such as people who get their tongue split in two - that I really do find quite grim.

• yeah IA with you it's not super over the top like some things are but it's still something that you have to fix if you no longer want it unlike clothes or doing crazy stuff to your hair.

• yeah, I really don't see the point.

What Guys Said 4

• The message they're trying to convey by wearing gauges is usually "I'm not going to live long enough to be old!" or "I don't care what my ears look like when I'm old!". I disagree with both, of course. I think gauges are hideous and I tend to dislike anyone wearing them.

• well I don't care for how they look myself (ok they honestly kinda freak me out) but ya know...not really my problem I just kinda don't get it that being said I was curious how much thought goes into them.

• A friend of mine's sister had them.

Then her parents paid for the surgery to close them up.

Which is thousands of dollars, btw.

• yikes that's alot...

• It requires a plastic surgeon, its not like you just walk in and they throw a suture in and you walk out.

• yeah that's what I was wondering. it seemed like it would be quite an ordeal to make your hear look normal again

• Never liked them

• looks so gross

What Girls Said 3

• well they're not permanent unless you go too far,even then they have surgery to fix it. I say do what you want,it can look good,it can look horrible,it's a personal decision.

• oh IA I just always wonder when I see it and it's not like I'm gonna ask a random stranger this question that's why I asked on here ;) I often wonder how much if any thought was put into it cause usually they're young.

• well people do it in africa for spiritual reasons,and well in many ways,style is a spiritual thing for people in developed countries-it shows us and our place in our world-gauges are common for punk/emo/hipster teenagers cause it's a sign of protest and originality-something teenagers have always been trying to express since the dawn of time.

• oh it's for rebellion purposes or for someone to show their originality but it's not like dying your hair large gauges are kinda permanent unless you want to have surgery. I know all about why and such I just wanted to know about how people decided to do it and if they were thinking long term.

• I have my ears stretched. I don't see myself regretting them because I have kept mine small enough (8mm) that I can hide them if I ever needed to. I've had them done for 2 years now and still love them :D

• So you've purposely kept yours to a size that won't require surgery to fix them?...that was smart. How would you hide it?

• Oh no I doubt they'll ever shrink back, but they are small enough that certain jewelry I wear looks like big earrings.

• Live in the moment, who gives a f***

• I guess I've just never been a "live in the moment" kind of person. I'm more the "consider the consequences of my actions" kind of person lol