I don't understand black women and hair?

I am Black. I hate going to the salon. I only go when I really need to. I can not braid. I always I had bad experiences with Black women doing my hair either they want to cut or rip it out. That is why I do not to get my hair done. My hair has always been longer when a man did it. I got my hair braided yesterday and the stylist just it out when blowing drying. I had a lot of breakage. I do not get that much when doing my own hair. I always had this problem with women. She said it shedding its not when most of my hair is broken short pieces. And she said it will grow back. OMG. Has anyone ever had this problem? White, Asian, or just women in general? advice...I am sad.

Most Helpful Girl

• This has only happened a couple of times. Once when I got my hair braided for the first and last time. The lady wasn't combing the tangles from my hair, she was ripping it out. I don't even have very coarse hair so I can only imagine how it would be for someone with very kinky hair.

Then another time I went into a salon to get trimmed and get straightened and not only did they trim way more hair than they needed too but they also weighed down my hair with a lot of oily hair products. Keep in mind that I have very spongy back length natural hair so they must have really used a lot to make my hair that weighed down.

I think it just comes from years and years of not knowing proper hair care. Whenever my aunt visits she always says my hair looks dry and that I need some grease, meanwhile her hair greasy with no movement and broken off at chin length.

Next time you might want to go to a somewhat of an upscale salon. A lot of these old school stylists need to go back to beauty school.

• I agree but its so hard to find a good one.When I first started going to this Lady she was gentIe. Now since she got a promotion she just ripping my hair out. I asked her how her natural is going.She said it faII out because of her surgery. I knew she had some hair problems.

• Oh well in that case, I think she just has issues. Don't give her any more of your money. She obviously doesn't care if she has an return clients if she's ripping hair out like that. Tell who ever is in charge at the salon that one of their stylists is ripping out people's hair. It might get her in trouble but it might save many other people the misfortune of having their hair ripped out.

What Guys Said 4

• What better advice than from a white guy? :-). Once married to a Black now an Asian.

1. If you can't manage rows, keep a short Afro and be done with it.

2. Use a very mild soap like dove or ivory when you wash your hair. Alternately rinse it with no soap. Your natural scalp oil is the best for your hair. Pick your hair so the oil works its way down.

3. A romantic disadvantage you have is that processed black hair (to make it straight) is fragile and unpleasant to the touch (as in running my fingers through your hair). A short Afro is neither and is immune from messing up.

• i just think its actually a genetics thing with people of african decent. your hair is just much more fragile and breaks a lot easier. that's why a lot of african girls wear wigs. from what my ex has told me anyway.

• Whatever! My hair is long! I only got braids because it is hot and I am tired of doing my hair everyday because it is get longer. I do not wear wigs and pray I never have to!

• no need to caII people out their names!

• Dominicans do hair the best!

• I like the results because I've been to Dominican hairstylists, but they use too much heat, and too much heat can cause damage.

• I have, it seems like only black women get jealous over hair it's stupid.I

• I just do not understand. It pisses me off.

What Girls Said 11

• Don't let just anybody in your head. If you have long hair, some women can be jealous and f*** your hair up on purpose. This isn't how most stylists are, but some are like that. Then you have some that really do not know much about healthy hair care and keeping the hair on your head. Sure, they can get you in the hottest styles, but other than that they don't know too much about the actual health of your hair. I was lucky to find a great stylist who can make my hair look great AND she cares about the health of my hair! To find these stylists, you might have to pay a little more and go to pricier salons.

But back to the hair care thing: a lot of girls hair isn't growing because they don't know how to truly take care of it! So when they start doing your hair, they're gonna be using those same techniques and giving you the problems they have. But of course, since many of us do the same things to our hair, we experience a lot of breakage and (falsely) think well black hair doesn't grow. If black hair did not grow, why would we need to get touchups? There would be no such thing as new growth if our hair didn't grow? Most stylists just don't know about healthy hair care.

You should probably do your hair yourself and only go to certain stylists for major procedures. Well if you have any questions or comments feel free to comment back, hair is my passion

• I've heard a lot of black women say the same things.

I think they could be jealous and also just plain old not doing a good job, trying to get away with making money off sloppy work.

I love this video where she explains what happens when she tries to get her hair done.

link

• You need to do research on a good hairstylist first. You need to do research on your own hair and figure out how it likes to be treated. You can't just go anywhere and let them f*** up your hair. Its your fault that keeps happening to you because you didn't know. So research it. See it through.

• i've never heard of a hairdresser purposely fck up someones hair but its so possible. the girl I go to get my hair dyed is a black girl but I've known her for years and her family so maybe that makes a difference? never let someone you don't trust touch your hair.

• I agree with most of the ladies. I don't go because they always want to charge double because I have so much hair. The last I went to a white lady and she did really well to my surprise except she thinks No One needs to use oils in their hair. But anyways. I think it all boils down to jealousy. I know exactly how you feel and the only advice I can give to isjust give yourself time and do your own hair. It takes me about five hours to do mine and come out looking like I went to the salon.

• That was usually happened also to me when I wen to women hair dressers or gay hair dressers, They are seems got jealous to your hair, That's why they will end up you hair got damage and breakage. I have experienced that too.

But you can use hair treatments out there. I used Reloxe for growing my hair fast.

• A girl I'd never go to a female hairdresser. Women are always jealous :D

• I've never had a problem really, but every hairdresser I've ever had has commented how easy my hair is (because it's naturally quite thin and straight) so they don't have to control frizz, or straighten it, or anything like that.

I think it's more to do with how trained the person is and possibly their own hair is like. I wouldn't have a clue how to deal with thick, frizzy, curly hair for instance. Maybe you should try and see stylists who have a similar hair type to you (and obviously if you like their hair...no point seeing them if you think their hair is naff!)

Also, I've seen some of your comments to people. I think it's quite rude you attacking them when they're trying to help you. Have a little bit of respect and treat others how you wish to be treated. Nobody is trying to be racist towards you or insult you, they are trying to help you. Take Cuddle_Muffin. She was just trying to say if you know what treatments do and don't work on you, you can tailor which salon you go to, so if they tried to use a particular product, you'd know in advance if you're hair did or didn't like it. You could try an organic salon for instance. That's what she meant by research. And beastman88 was just repeating what his ex said...

• I am so glad you are the spokesperson for them. Get off my page!

• Gladly you ungrateful woman. Don't ask a question if you don't want to help.

• Shut up! and move on!

• I know exactly what you are talking about. I once had a black hair dresser and she tried to cut my hair off. She actually cut most of my sister's hair off saying it was "damaged". After she fixed it she cut it off again. Never went back again either. I have noticed that male hair stylists tend to preserve hair better than a female hair stylist.

• Lol, last time I went to the salon I swear she caused more breakage to my hair. I haven't been since late September, because I really do not trust anyone with my hair because it's so f***ing fragile. Only I have had the most amount of experience and patience with my hair - I know it best, I know it's weak, so I do what I have to in order to not rip my hair out. It's irritating I know, and I know stylists sometimes lie when something's gone wrong, and I'm sure they always say that it grows back. It sucks that happened to you and you don't even go that much in the first place, but I can only suggest learning about different ways you can do your hair yourself. There are a ton of communities online that cater to black hair, like websites, forums, YouTube videos - that can all guide you in the right direction because the people that put out that content are like you.

link - full of black chicks that share your pain lol and if you search around the forums you may find some answers to your questions :)

I'm subscribed to a few black girls on YouTube that are big on hair, so if you want some recommendations let me know.

• Right now, I just need braids. I can do everything else but braids.

• Well my hair is quite easy to handle but that doesn't stop the hairdressers from butchering it or being flat out rough. I cut my own hair now. Can't trust a stranger.