EYES: Why do we have color in them?

No other part of our body is capable of color right , including hair? Why are eyes the only exterior part of the human body that is allowed to have blue and green colors?

Most Helpful Girl

• Genetics. <--- To answer your question quite bluntly. The colored part of your eye is simply an iris that expands and contracts to control the light let into your pupil. It's just a little feat about humans (and animals) that genetics give them color and depending on the alleles from your parents, they can be green, blue, brown, amber, etc. :)

Fun Fact: If you look closely into someones eyes there are little flecks of different colors... The majority of those flecks are the same color as your hair because they share the same protein. :)

• I liked the "fun fact" I have

to try that sometime ^-^

• I was pretty shocked when I found that out. You can see it in a mirror to test it out. :)

• For me, the eyes and the brain are the most interesting thing to study in medicine. I like to read anything about them. Thanks for this "fun fact". ^_^

What Girls Said 4

• Lighter colored eyes began as a genetic mutation, just like light skin did. The mutation persisted because it was viewed as an attractive characteristic, so people with light eyes would mate with each other (or a dark-eyed person with one light-eyed gene) and produce light-eyed children, and so on.

• Also we do have color other places. It's just not a wild coloir like naturally purple hair. Albinos are the only ones with no pigment thus no color.

• i don't know, but I do know that brown eyes have full pigmentation and that with lighter colored eyes you are actually seeing more of the actual eye. dark blue eyes are actually the least pigmented and have very little "color" to them. light blue and green and hazel have progressively more pigment.

• Our environment affects our genes, so that's what chooses the color of your eyes..

Bio teacher told me! :D

What Guys Said 4

• Blue and green eyes are mutations.

There are many different genes affecting eye color and when a mutation showed up, sexual selection favoured it.

• Intriguing. That explains that purple polar bear in the news. Why hasn't our hair caught one yet?

• sucks right, I would have liked to see blue and green people, like those from avatar and mars.

• the color is for blocking excess

light that would reach our pupil.. ^-^

• So we know what nationality everyone is. Blond hair & blue eyes=Dutch, German, Swiss etc. Brown eyes = African, Jamaican etc or their just full of sh*t. Red eyes = devil, evil or hungover. Yellow = leprechaun, Irish. Green = mixed race & so on.

• Man this guy is good... I thought only green and blue existed, not anymore. :D