How do people feel about redheaded people?

I've noticed some white people tend to make jokes and comments about redheaded people. They call them gingers. Is this an offensive term, is there a difference between gingers and redheads? Why are they singled out so much?

0|1
9|6

Most Helpful Girl

• I love red hair... wish I had it but it wouldn't look good on me. I think calling people gingers are stupid, their is no point... don't see where it's funny. When I see red heads (men and women) I don't think anything negative.

When people say ginger they mean pale/very light skin, freckles and they usually tend to have orange/red hair.

red hair- link link

"Ginger" - link link

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 6

• Ginger is not a derogatory term. At least I've never seen it used that way. I happen to think that redheads are hot anyway.

While I'm not sure if this started earlier, but I only know about gingers being made fun of because of South Park. Specifically Cartman. And while I have seen teasing with things like "gingers have no soul" it's always been in jest where the person singled out knows that it's not serious.

Redhead is very generic to refer to anyone with naturally red hair. Ginger is a little more specific which and has several specific features including red/orange hair, freckles, and pale white skin. This is my understanding of it anyway.

0|1
    0|0
  • I find it funny, the whole "gingers have no soul" joke. Guess it could sting a bit though. Don't know why them, maybe it's just because it's an uncommon hair color.

Redheaded girls can be very hot, so I like it!

0|0
    0|0
  • All the jokes by teens and young 20's today probably stem from South Park.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hot!...(:(:(:

0|0
    0|0
  • They are awesome. The term is mostly used in a joking manner.

0|0
    0|0
  • link if she is like this I am OK with it :)

0|4
    0|0

What Girls Said 8

• I wouldn't consider the term ginger to be offensive in any way. It doesn't have any negative connotations to it, as far as I'm aware. Though there are jokes about how gingers have no soul, and I can see why that would be grating. As to why they're singled out, well..I don't know I'd say they were singled out, but they're probably more noticed because its a fairly uncommon natural hair color in most places.

0|0
    0|0
  • Y'all should be proud of your uniqueness

0|0
    0|0
  • When I say ginger hair, I don't find it to be or even intend to make it insulting. I find ginger and red hair amazingly beautiful. I don't make jokes about them, I fancy their hair.

0|0
    0|0
  • I love red hair. I think it's really pretty, especially with green eyes.

0|0
    0|0
  • I dye my hair red so be happy urs is natural.id be happy to get best answer

0|0
    0|0
  • I love their freckles too

0|0
    0|0
  • Sick of this question, it's asked a million times.

link

0|1
    1|1
  • idk why they do that. but I like the natural redhead look.

they look so nice. redhead men or women look so cute with their pretty orange hair and freckles! I wish I was a redhead.

i know many people who think that redheads are ugly but we all have different tastes.

i think natural redhead people look really nice. :D

0|0
    0|0