Girls: classic or unique beauty?

Hi, I'm a guy at 18, and a bit jealous of my friend. Well, not really, but he looks like the classic male model: short, sharp nose, small-medium light blue eyes and blond hair, oval face shape and relatively thin lips. Oh, and he's around 5"10 whereas I'm only 5"8.

I, on the other hand, consider myself to be good looking, but I still can't help thinking whether girls will find him more attractive than me, or if I'm just brainwashed by the media. I'm more "unique" looking, some of my best features are almond shaped green eyes, full lips and long, "thick" eyelashes and nice eye brows. :D

I was just wondering, because he looks good, but a bit boring so to speak. He's too "classic", or cliché or whatever. Am I the only one who has ever thought like this? I asked some friends and they said yes.

It feels like, with the media 'n all, there's only one correct way to look beautiful / hot.

PS -Bonus question: which type of nose do you prefer? A Zac Efron one, or Sacha Baron Cohen?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's just a matter of preference.

What Girls Said 16

• To me, your friend either looks like a model or he looks plain, I can't see him being both. I don't care about hair color, I don't care if he has a tan, etc. Eyebrows- so long as they're not owlish or wildly unkempt, don't care. Eye color? Doesn't matter. When I think unique I think broken nose or a funny ear or something, not almond shaped eyes. That's not a rare shape, so I find it difficult to label it as such. A few characteristics do go a long way, as well, so if the nose is very striking, on top of a bunch of other striking features, it derails me more than someone who looks "plain". I honestly don't pay attention to the fashion here so I may not be picturing your friend quite right, either. After all, I watch British tv, where airbrushing is unheard of, and people look remarkably normal. Those people I find attractive. They have flaws, they're up front, but it's not over board like you'd say "whoa, that person had a unique look to them". That's basically the treatment of models, I assume.

BBoth are fine, really depends on the overall effect. Small nose on giant man? No. Large nose on tiny man? Also no. Straight vs. break, go with what looks subtler. I particularly like Jensen Ackles' nose, whereas Jared Padelecki's nose is not really up my alley.

• I'm sure it does depend on the girl, but I'll still share my opinion.
    Your friend sound like a "pretty boy", you know, like the cute blond athletes in high school chick flicks. Personally, I'm more attracted to guys who are more...Tough? For lack of better word.
    I don't know, I like guys who have darker hair and more masculine features...
    You brought up Efron and Cohen, Efron is a perfect example of a pretty boy...And that's not bad at all, just what I think he's more like.
    I've liked mostly "tougher" guys (not that the more classical beauty guys can't be tough, but again, I can't quite find the right word), although I have a friend who is a complete pretty boy; blond hair, blue eyes, tall, thinner-sharper features. And I think he's pretty cute too...
    I think really at the end of the day, all guys are attractive and handsome in their own way. Don't be jealous! Being who you are makes you you. And don't be fooled by the media, it's all fake. You're awesome the way you are!
    About the nose thing, to be honest, I've never really noticed mens noses lol...I think either is fine and wouldn't like another guy just because of his nose...
    BTW -I totally get your jealousy thing. I'm 5'2, pale and not a stick, so I look nothing like the girls who are shown in the media...Though I try to keep my chin up :)

• Best answer :) and you look beautiful! :D

• Hmm...well, I would consider a unique person more attractive. Society has made their vison of a "perfect person," and there are too many people trying to reach these near-impossible standards (I'm not saying your friend is a 'conformist" to these standards, so to speak). A change is always nice, and the 'same old thing' can be very tiring.

But it all really depends on the personality of the person, no?

Judging by looks alone, I stick to my former statement.

As for noses, I don't know either of those people, so I couldn't really answer that.

• Honestly, you sound more attractive to me. I don't really go for 'classical beauty' as you put it, I'm more interested in unique features. There are plenty of male actors and models that aren't blond and blue eyed. Take James Lafferty for example: link He's dark haired, has blue/grey eyes, nice eyebrows etc. I find him very attractive. I'm sure there are other people who have thought that.

Um... I guess Sacha Baron Cohen's nose. Strange question :p

P.S. If you're 18, why does it say Age:25 to 29?

• Thanks for your quick reply :) and I don't know about the age thing, gotta check up on that soon.

• My quick reply? Your comment was super fast :)

• I, personally, prefer a nose with character (think stereotypical.. Italian nose? something kinda big haha) And I prefer my men big and semi-unique looking. If they look anything like what the media think men should look like, I personally wouldn't be interested. Mostly because I prefer people who have some kind of unique "flaw" about themselves. Ruggedly jovial would be the proper words to describe the "perfect" guy in my eyes. (aka a giant smiley lumberjack)

• Ok. Guess I have a roman nose. :D

• Believe me, there's girls that like them ha ha There's a girl for every nose. ..Or a nose for every girl?

• Ditto to the smiley lumberjack, ruggedly jovial is the perfect way to put it! I like it!

• I would probably find you more attractive.

I'm not really as interested in those guys everyone finds so "hot", they're too in demand. :P

People have different ideas of what they like.

I'm currently dating a guy, and I pretty much love all his physical aspects. He's attractive, but probably not what most other girls would choose. He's exactly what I like though!

As for the nose, it doesn't really matter much. Personality is more important than looks. Looks do matter somewhat, of course, but it's not going to come down to one body part! (in most cases)

• totally depends on the girl. by the description, I personally think you're hotter, but I perfer green eyed - dark hair to blue eyed - blond hair. The height doesn't really matter all that much :p that's also because I don't like mainstreamv looks/relashionships, they're boring and... lack surprise/mystery/interest, for me. I agree with you in the media part, but you just gotta look past all the people who agree with them and who are mainstream and boring, and look out for the ones who do realize the same things you do. Yes, yes I know it's hard. Trust me.
    Ps - Zac Efron because sacha's to pointed down. honestly as long as it's not abnormaly big/curvy it doesn't matter. IF you have sacha's nose, well it doesn't ruin things either.

• HI, thanks for your reply, very interesting :-)

And no, I don't really have a nose like Sacha's, but mine too is a little big, although not turned down. But I do have some weird cartilage thing inside my nostrils so you can't reallyseem them.. lol

• If you mean by classical cliche or sterotypical I choose unique..I'm not a fan of blond hair blue eyes but then again I'm not white

• You both sound handsome and in my opinion I would prefer a unique look, I like it when guys look different from anyone else but are still really good looking in their own way. And the nose thing really depends on the proportions of your face and rest of your features.

• You shouldn't be jealous. Not everyone is going to think the same. I, for one, adore green eyes.

Most models and famous people who have photo shoots get their pictures photoshopped and THEY don't even look like themselves. link

• girls like unique looks guys like classic looks because they are closed minded and only want what they jacked off to when they were kids which is a playboy magazine.

• Uniqueness

• Also considering our height? ;D

• Ya its not a problem since I'm 5'2..but I find blond hair blue eyes least attractive and pale skin; the darker the skin&hair&eyes the better!

• I think it's all based on the girl looking at you. I mean, my best friend dated a guy I thought was super cute and said he wasn't that cute.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

(but you sound cuter to me)

• zac efron. I personally like unique better and green eyes are amazing. also f*** the media

• I didn't really pay attention to guys lips until recently and think lips freak me out its like there's nothing there and good thing most black guys don't have that problem ;D

• I don't think I can tell how hot your or your friend are simply by your features. Some guys with nice features are just not attractive. Or some guys with features that I am generally attracted to, for some reason might not appeal to me.

The msot important thing is that everyone has a type. Some girls migh tthink you friend is hotter, but some girls might prefer you! It all comes down to the girl and her preferences.

The nose question. Zac Efron is really hot, but his nose is a little feminine in my opinion, whereas Sacha Baron Cohen, although I'm not attracted to him, I like his nose better, his features (including nose) are stronger, more masculine and defined!

What Guys Said 1

• Make friends with someone who is ugly, and you'll feel better instantly.