Unattractive girls vs unattractive guys... who has it tougher?

We had a silly debate yesterday about this at work yesterday about who has it easier in the dating scene, guys or girls? The majority, including me agreed that girls have it easier. I've never been turned down for a date.

Then one of the girls brought up the fact that ugly girls have it harder than ugly guys. She thinks she is ugly and says she gets rejected all the time... although she isn't. She's actually a cute girl, and many guys at work and outside of work (we're good friends outside of work too) are attractive to her. She's just too shy.

Anyway I think she is right. Not in her case, since she isn't ugly. She just needs confidence and guys will like her. But she is right that women who aren't pretty have it a lot harder than men who aren't attractive. I've seen some men who women won't look at twice attract girls who are pretty. However, you will never ever see an attractive man with an ugly girl. You will rarely see an unattractive man with an ugly girl. Ugly women simply aren't dateable.

Anyway, that question was kind of divided. Some people agreed with her, and many people disagreed.

Just wondered what people here thought.

Most Helpful Guy

• She's definitely right. Unattractive girls have it tougher for a simple reason - the man is "programmed" to find an attractive female counterpart that he finds worth forwarding his genetical information to. The woman, on the other hand, is "programmed" to find a male counterpart with the easiest "access to sources", which in today's world almost always means "rich". So a guy can be as ugly as an ass but if he's got a lot of money, he's still okay - women still find him "attractive" because of the easiest "access to souces" he has.

What Guys Said 8

• Unattractive girls and it's not even a question. Physical attractiveness is simply more important to men in picking a mate than it is to women. This is not because men are "shallow" it's just because of how we are wired.

• Women I guess, guys go by looks when they meet someone, I don't know about girls but kinda need the attraction there. With that said girls who don't look 'like a 10' are sometimes asked out more due to less intimidation.

• Youre right that unattractive girls have it harder. You're also right that all other girls have it easier. And tell your friend I wish I could find a cute shyer girl! Lol

• A girl might be below average in looks, but having a smokin' body goes a long way. A girl with a very pretty face, but is over weight is even better, because she could lose weight. A hot girl in every category with a bad personality, is not for me. An average looking gal with a great personality is the best!

• Unattractive men have it tougher. Assuming he's socially acceptable, a woman can and sometimes will be extremely shallow. However, most men, whether it's a one night stand or not, will f*** you. That's the ultimate goal, right? to f*** and be f***ed!

• I think unattractive people in general have it tough. But I'd say unattractive girls have it easier. At least there's still a chance they will get approached/asked out. Only the top ~15% or so of guys get approached by women.

• I think unattractive girls definitely have it tougher.

• This is a really tough question when you look at it honestly from an objective viewpoint. How unattractive does a girl have to be before she is totally shut out of the sex and dating marketplace? She would have to be like an actual freak show attraction! And even then, there might still be men who want her. So it's hard to see any non-freak show "normal" woman being totally unwanted. If a woman can offer sex, there will be takers! This is reality!

When we look at men, the picture is different! Most of a woman's sex appeal comes from the looks of her face and body! If a woman looks good, she is automaticaly accepted by the opposite sex. It's basically a done deal! Women don't need to be very interesting or charming or socially adept. For men, it's not that simple! A man can be blessed with good looks and still be totally unwanted if he lacks the confidant "bad ass" demeanor that many women find "attractive". And perish forbid if the man is physically unattractive bedsides! An "unattractive" man having money doesn't really change anything. If women are only attracted to the money a man has, he basically only found whores. He knows he is still unwanted. You can't buy love!

We could call it a toss-up! But I think the "unattractive" man has it a worse because women can mark a man as "unattractive" for any reason or even no reason at all!

What Girls Said 8

• ugly girls simply have it harder. ugly guys only have to get money,power to get a girl and a lot of the times a ugly guy that is funny and has a good personality can still get girls. I know you are about to say not all men have money and power. they don't but all men can get money and power if they worked at it, it is something that is obtainable for almost all men. women on the other had have two things working for us. youth and beauty and if females don't have beauty then we are screwed. doesn't matter how good of a personality a female has..if she doesn't have the good looks to back it up then she is screwed. a hot female can have a stank attitude all she wants to, men will still want regardless. women know our looks is everything that's we have so much pressure on us. its to the point now where men think its OK for them to be ugly but not the women. ugly women simply have it harder hands down.

• uh, I totally go against the last sentence of your third paragraph. ugly, but funny or smart women are IN FACT dateable.

funny thing is, I see a lot of guys (especially younger guys) around here with women whom one would consider sub-par in terms of looks...which gets me thinking- do guys really prefer pretty girls over homely ones? ...i know it goes against logic, but yeah, in the end, I think guys (the average guy, with the average income level) really want companionship and security. I don't know about the uber-rich, spoiled men, though- they probably have higher standards for looks in women.

• Ugly girls. We are largely based on looks. Men can get by with money, or a great personality. Even if a girl is rich, or lovely she still has to struggle to keep a mans attention.

• Ugly girls I experienced this myself. I never had a date.

• really? If that is you in the picture you look beautiful

• Unattractive girls.

Guys pass them up, even guys who are 3 or 5 out of 10 pass up unattractive girls. -.-"

It happens.

• Soo true !...long story short ...im a

college student going to class I recognize a class mate and so from an impulse I said hi ! :) I yeah he took it the other way and completely ignored me lol I WAS JUST TRYING To BE NICE embarrassing lol and yeah this guy was UGLY! Huge beard like he hasn't saved himself for months he's really fat and to top off he's short and he's a ginger SIGH ! this guy was a 2 out of 10 seriously

• Unattractive women

• I believe unattractive men have it a lot harder.I have seen many unattractive girls who end up getting the "hott" guy . >_>

• unattractive women. unattractive women not only get passed over by men, but they get passed over in the work place for jobs.