Is beauty really "in the eye of the beholder?"

Or do people just say that to make the uggo's of the world feel better?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't see how anyone has the right to call someone ugly. If you believe you are beautiful then so be it. I mean it's not like anyone else can tell you no you are ugly because there is no universal standard that decide what is ugly. It's entirely subjective and anyway a degrading word that shouldn't be taken lightly. You are born a certain way and never asked to look the way you do. There are things that can be fixed but ultimately you were put on this planet not by choice and had no say whether you wanted to be "beautiful" or "ugly". Why should that be held against anyone? Calling people ugly is anyway completely unnecessary and irrelevant. If you want to believe you are stunning and amazing then you have every effing right to do that because no one can tell you what you are and aren't. If people do call someone ugly then it's merely their little opinion. So yes beauty can be in the eye of the beholder.

What Guys Said 6

• Beauty are way different things in different contexts. There is a common idea "picture ideal" that most people would agree upon with less than significant variation. But this picture ideal does not carry over to the emotional experience between two people interacting.

When I look at pictures of Charlize Theron there is no doubt that she is a beautiful woman. But I have no emotional reaction beyond what I would feel looking at a beautiful painting or a beautiful car. When I look at my wife I have no delusions that she is more beautiful than CT, but I get all warm and fuzzy inside because my wife is perfect FOR ME. Her face is what makes me all warm and cuddly.

• How cynical you are! Beauty is most decidedly in the eye of the beholder! It's just that ugly people are less often beheld.

• I got into a lot of fist-fights in high school because guys said the girl I liked was ugly, whoever she happened to be at that time. They really believed that, and I really believed she was beautiful... I mean, not that it necessarily ends in fist fights, we were just really unstable, LOLLL, but there is so much disagreement over what beauty really is I think that statement is true.

I think, however, it is possible that we should look at Beauty as an emotion, rather than an adjective. I'm not going to do that, though, if that happens at all that's hundreds of years down the line.

• No. It's in the media's eye

• Most people would agree that link is beautiful and link not so much

• okay. agreed on the last part. :)

• Speaking as head of the uggos: Eff you.

• It really is in the eye of the beholder.

Guys have very varied tastes, the world over. And it's not always about the cultural biases either. Even in a country where, say, fatter girls are held up as the standard of beauty, there'll be guys who fancy stick figure skeletal types.

No matter what MTV or Vogue or whoever is setting the trends these days would have you believe, Megan Fox and her ilk are not universally lusted after by men. I know plenty of guys who think she looks fugly, like a badly rendered computer model deep in the uncanny valley. I know a girl who thinks Cillian Murphy the Irish actor, is the most hideous troll alive, just because he has unnaturally piercing blue eyes that freak her out.

There are guys who like fat girls, and guys who like small boobs, and short girls and tall girls and red-heads (despite the grief they get in the UK and Ireland for being 'gingers').

What Girls Said 5

• Yes it really is because we all have our preferences and something beautiful to someone might not be to someone else. I completely agree with other answer that who's to say what's beautiful or not, everyone has something beautiful about them. I know a lot of gorgeous people but with their personality/attitude they're the ugliest buttbags I've ever met in my life.

• Nahh, it really is. Totally true, some people will find you beautiful some wont. I don't call people ugly because who says they are, me? I am not on any platform to call someone ugly. Their is no standard of pretty and ugly. They just don't appeal to me and that's fine, because someone else will find them gorgeous.

• yep it is. what someone finds beautiful you can find ugly and vice versa

• Your probably an ugly person your self I bet people didn't ask to be ugly when they were born only stupid insecure people have issues about people being ugly most of the people in the media and beautiful famous people are f***ed in the hed.

• Yeah beauty is in the eye of the beholder people have different ideas on what's beautiful and ugly anyway looks might get someone in the door the rest of it is down to there personality it's like picking up a beautiful shiny apple it might look beautiful on the out side on the inside if it's rotten and horrible you're not going to want it some of these socalled beautiful people often have the most problems and aren't happy at all it's usually only other people with insecuritys about there looks that judge others and make it an issue tell them they should look a certain way.