Women, how important is a man's scent to his sex appeal?

How big a deal is a guy's scent to attracting you? Have you ever liked a guy OK, and gotten close and he smelled so good, his sex appeal went way up?

Most Helpful Girl

• it's all part of pheromones. the scent kind of radiates off him, I would probably already feel the attraction before I went close to him, in that case his sex appeal is very high to me and it has nothing to do with looks.

i was recently dating this guy. I thought he was attractive, and he wasn't nasty or anything but he was also older, my friends said they would not be into him. I never thought he was gorgeous but there was this fire between us, his sex appeal was off the charts for me. and yes his neck smelled delicious, even from hugging him I would get turned on.

• surprise hugs can be great. One of my female friends at the gym was down in the dumps, so I gave her a hug 'cause I thought she could use one, but ...damn!...I was caught off-guard by how damn sexy her body felt when I wrapped her in my arms! Looking back on it, I don't know why I was so surprised at what a turn-on it was to hold her close, she works out hard all the time. (I don't think she was aware of the effect she had on me, she just really needed a hug right then.)

What Girls Said 14

• I think it's very important if he smells good it makes him automatically seem more attractive. What is "good" often vary from girl to girl. While generally all perfumes are supposed to smell good we associate certain feeling with certain smell. Like my mom always used to spray Channel No 5 in our bathroom so I always think of that smell as a cheap bathroom scent. And my dad alway wore jean paul gualtier when we were on vacation so I kinda associate that with a very good feeling.

Also it's believed that people who have very similiar genes to yourselves do not smell attractive to us

• dont want a stinker that's for sure! haha...a nice scent is great but no scent is great too!...im dating a guy who doesn't really have much of a smell...but hmmm I guess that's a mystery or just pheromones! haha

• Yes. I love guys who smell good. As long as he doesn't smell better than me, lol :)

• Looks matter more but scent is always a plus

• I love the smell of a man and usually remember the scent even after he's gone. I always connect smells with people. If I like his smell I tend to feel an attraction but can't say appeal right then and there.

• Yes. The science of smell behind sex appeal.

• a not so good looking man with a good scent is likeable.

• Very much

• Pretty important

• Very important I'd say. If he stinks, I am repelled by him and definitely reduces his appeal for me. But if he smells good and knows which cologne works best with his body's natural PH value... I won't definitely be blamed for jumping the guy!

• As long as he doesn't stink it's not important. I have allergies and a lot of scents bother me, so I usually prefer no cologne. Thankfully my boyfriend has one cologne that I absolutely love and the scent doesn't make me sick. I go wild for it. Definitely ups his sex appeal.

• This is embarrassing to admit, but my boyfriend smells like chlorine because he's a competitive swimmer. I connect the smell of chlorine to him...and now I get really turned on whenever I'm around a pool :/

• It's important, but I really hate the smell of all cologne so he has to smell good naturally, if that makes sense.

• it's important to me, either I can be really turned off or really turned on

What Guys Said 1

• If I'm right, it's one of those things that is normally subconscious, so you wouldn't really think about it or notice it, but the effect is there all the same.

Supposedly, birth control kills this completely. Some psychologists recommend going without birth control (and thus sex) for a bit and seeing if your opinion of your partner changes. For some, the difference may be more drastic than they were expecting.