Isn't beauty based mostly on symmetry of the face?

There are a lot of questions on this site based on beauty and race. There has always been the argument that European looks are more attractive. You can say it's because of status or this or that.

Do you think that beauty is really just about how symmetrical a person's face (or body, however that works) is? Perhaps there is just a greater percentage of white people with symmetrical features. Perhaps not.

What do you think?

Please keep in mind that I don't consider white people more beautiful. There is beauty in every race. This is just a general question.

Most Helpful Girl

• People consider white people beautiful because of the fair skin, softer hair texture, and features.

Considering whites more beautiful stems from how things used to be, and how they still are. A appearance with lighter skin is usually more accepted than a person of brown or darker skin, which is why there are celebrities that alter their appearance so they can fit into the white standard of beauty.

Honestly, I think race has little to do with how attractive someone is.

It all has to do with your facial features and bone structure to me.

What Guys Said 5

• Also. There is much more to that. What if somebody was symmetrical and had rash on both sides of his face symmetrically? Would that be beautiful? Or if he was deformed symmetrically?

Symmetry is one very important thing. But also familiarity. People tend to find people similar to their exes either more beautiful or ugly depending on how relationship ended due to their experience. Also people tend to find people similar to their parent more beautiful. Clear skin and other health indicators are beautiful heavily, etc. So it is perfectly possible for many people to date people that are not symmetrical, because they have lot of other qualities. Like inner beauty. Inner symmetry :) for example.

• Ideally, what you're saying is correct. However, no one's face is perfectly symmetrical.

Experiences in life causes imperfection on our bodies. Whenever something like that happens, the other side doesn't mimic it. For example, as a teenager, Abraham Lincoln was kicked in the left side of his face by a horse, causing serious nerve damage. If you look at a pic of him, you can see as he aged how it affected the symmetry of his face.

Even a black eye can cause your face to be asymmetrical. WIth that being the case, you, me, nor anybody else's face is perfectly symmetrical.

Aside from that, I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What you see as beauty or attractiveness is completely different than what another girl would see as attractive.

• No, it's actually very little to do with it if you ask me. Take any ugly person and mirror half their face, they aren't going to be attractive. lol

• Yeah I'd say the symmetry is important.

• You answered your own question and it's a no.

It's the features and proportion which are the most important, symmetry won't make bad or unattractive features any better looking.

What Girls Said 5

• White people are more likely to have symmetrical features, but certainly not all or even a large majority do. It's very rare to meet the golden ratio and many who do, get some form of surgery.

Plus, European colonization all around the world and the white people oppressing basically every culture from Asian to African to Hispanics and making themselves appear superior is a mentality that just stuck in some societies and cultures

• Sure biologically but there's many exceptions

• No sh*t there's beauty everywhere and I don't believe the symmetry

• Ya I guess

• people say there is beauty in symmetry. I guess that is true a lot of times very attractive people and celebs have very "even" features but then there are those with gorgeous unique features that are atypical.