Wearing wifebeaters/tank tops in summer?

I've been thinking of wearing them as casual wear (black/grey/white or striped) here in New York for some time. I did when I was vacationing in the Caribbean with no complaint from anyone, and here there's a handful of teens and young adults that wear them to keep cool. So I thought: Why not here? It's hot anyway and it feels a lot cooler than a t-shirt.

However, it seems that there's an opinion in the United States (at least from looking on the internet) that anyone who wears them is trailer trash, looks like a gang member (which I'm not by the way), looks sloppy, unkempt, etc. To make it more complex, opinion seems to also vary between regions in the United States, where some areas are more accepting of them than others.

So the question is, are wifebeaters/tank tops considered acceptable as casual wear (walking around the neighborhood, park, mall, sports, groceries) during the summer?

Given the fact that opinion does vary by region, I'd like to hear from people in New York, though I don't mind hearing from other regions.

Most Helpful Girl

• I love seeing them on guys esp the stripes-California

• The stripes are somewhat popular in New York too (graphic ones are a bit more popular), though personally I like the plain ones most of all

• Oh really I've never seen the graphic ones but black,grey and white looks good on anyone

What Girls Said 4

• Sure why not?

• Tank tops in the summer are completely fine, what else are you supposed to wear when it's hot out?

• Wear it

• Black is best

• Personally, I thought so too, though grey can also be good as long as you're not doing anything that will make you sweat profusely. White can work, but because it's the easiest color to stain, I'm not focusing on wearing that.

Thank you for all your answers, by the way.

What Guys Said 0