Are men generally more attractive than women?

Women wear makeup, push up bras, hair extensions, fake nails and eyelashes all of which are all false advertisement and once off can make you look drastically different sometimes (yes not all women do this and some are naturally beautiful). Men don't use any of these things. When you see a great looking guy you get what you see. Are men generally more attractive than women?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think men are structurally beautiful (think along the lines of Michelangelo' s "David"), whereas women as aesthetically pleasing.

• I wrote an essay as an answer to this question... but well said. I think men (who you find handsome) are naturally attractive, yes... and women (who wear makeup) are more Artificially beautiful. They are both good looking but one is "real" one is "fake" or at least somewhat "fake".

Grain of salt haha

• @justdance22, glad I summed it up for you!

What Guys Said 18

• I think my problem is a lot of these "false advertisements" just don't do it for me. But I see your point, and I'm not sure how that got started.

And I think it's the opposite. Though men talk big, many would be happy with a nice looking woman. Women on the other hand all seem to compete for the top 10% physically attractive men virtually ignoring the rest, which means attractive men are a rare commodity.

I happen to prefer the naturally beautiful women. I can wake up next to my wife and she looks every bit beautiful as if she were fully made up for a formal occasion.

• Because men don't typically wear makeup and are au naturel 99.9% of the time... what you see is what you get pretty much.

So when you see a man who is handsome its au naturel, not fake, blahblah.

Whereas a woman has the choice to put on makeup and whatnot, or not, in order to enhance their looks to appear more attractive. For those who wear lots of makeup, typically, they are trying to hide their flaws, make em invisible, be someone they're not physically... as you can tell its mostly negative reasons (if you see it that way, objectively but that doesn't mean its negative or bad... to each their own) So objectively, yes women who wear lots of makeup would be seen as less beautiful. It's really that simple. Again, the only information is knowing if a woman wears or does not wear makeup. There are lots of other factors that go behind this.

For women who do not wear makeup/wear little makeup, logically, they would have more confidence with their physical self image, and just be unphased by media/beauty propaganda and prefer to be themselves than wear loads of makeup to enhance their beauty because they decided that they don't need it. They would be more on par with men in this regard. Of course, it's not so simple but that's it in a very broad nutshell.

Personally, I think women who wear lots of makeup are more unattractive because of these reasons, as well as for reasons that are more in depth and even superficial sometimes... Women who wear less makeup,to me, appear to be, and rightly so in many cases, more attractive because they are just being honest with themselves, as best they can, with the entire world, showing their self as they see it. And you can judge very clearly and accurately what kind of person (on the inside) a woman is based on how much "extra stuff" they do to enhance their physical self image on a daily basis.

Less is more, in my opinion. Women and men should simply be human and do as little to fake, lie, change and disguise their true physical self. The more you try and hide who you really are on the outside and on the inside, the more you will distance and alienate yourself from being a natural human being. I guess guys have it easy when it comes to this. Double standards and social/cultural influences can be so strong there is no escaping it sometimes, anyway there's my opinion.

• I wear a wig, I'm still beautiful.

• No, we're equally attractive genders. It's just that women do all that because they are actually more desperate for attention. I'll probably get downvoted by girls for calling them desperate over that but it is what it is. If us men can get called desperate for just liking certain girls then I don't see what's wrong in calling girls who use sh*t ton of makeup and what not desperate.

• That's the realest talk I've hear on this site in a while. Anyone who downvotes this guy is a hater

• Some are desperate but generally it comes from wanting to be desired. That's what drives women to do all crazy things they do to themselves.

• You can be desired if you were nice clothes and smell good like us men. But to me all that artificial stuff like makeup and fake nails and what not is definitely being desperate.

• No, guys aren't more attractive. We just don't use enhancements so we have to rely on natural looks.There's a lot of unattractive guys right? Not a ton of truly unattractive women. Why? Because they can hide it. If women didn't wear enhancements, there would still be a ton of beautiful ones. Did that make sense?

• so do you think its equal then? both men and women can be ugly or naturally beautiful.

• Ya, why not? Heck not sure if it even matters. For some men, if it has boobs, they like it. Sad, but true :)

• We use a lot more skills to attract women then our looks. We're not a one trick pony, at least those of us that are magnetic. =)

• Opposite I'd guess, its just that looking good is more critical to women in getting a partner. Vanity is also looked down on in men.

• it might be looked down upon by other men but women admire a great looking man who takes care of himself

• No, its about the same for both. And its a line. Taking care of yourself and looking 'good' is a plus. But there's a point where its 'too much' and its considered not masculine. If a woman goes 'too far' people think of her as high maintenance - but still feminine.

Of course the line depends on demographic. In some areas the bar is pretty low. I remember a guy on here who talked about dressy guys in 'jeans'. He preferred to just throw on track pants. Zippers : metrosexual sh*t.

• While yes, men are more natural in their appearance I think it's split down the middle.

As cruel as this is to say, if you take away makeup/cosmetic surgery the world would be less populated.

I think women are more attractive because I'm heterosexual. Your answers are probably best suited to those who are truly bisexual.

• men are just more natural,they`re both equally beautiful,you may find guys more attractive because you are a girl,a guy would say girls are more attractive.I`ve met gorgeous natural girls and ultra fake girls.I think the secret is to be as natural as possible,no hair extentions,no heavy make up and no fake nails

• i have always asked this question to myself. I guess is really not our looks that make us attractive(men)

• well yeah if you put it like that, yes

at any given night in any bar/club or whatever, out of the 200 girls there, there is probably like 5 or 6 naturally gorgeous girls, the rest are just average with a lot of make-up, fake stuff and augmentation

• How many paintings of nude men have become famous world wide?

How many of women? TONS.

Been on tumblr?

See how many blogs are dedicated just to the female form?

Countless.

• You're saying there's no natural beautiful women? I think it's quite equal.

• i just said in my paragraph some women are naturally beautiful and not do all these things

• Nah in my books girls are definitely more attractive.

• depends on whether you are straight or not and generally prefer sharper edges/polygons or curves. I happen to like polygons more.

• I think women are generally more attractive than men.

• Um, the female body is way more attractive though.

• The standard is both broader and lower for men and you can include age and weight. So yes.

What Girls Said 10

• Are men generally more attractive than women?

In my opinion no as according to studies gals evolve to become more attractive while guys don't.

Seems more likely that guys are held to far lower standards of physical attractiveness than gals and guys are highly discouraged from improving their appearance more than fat and clean as working to improve your appearance is often designated as a feminine thus making him less of a guy.

• no, it's just more is expected of women to be considered attractive AS WOMEN...if you took a man and a woman and gave them the same hair cut and dressed them in the expact same clothes they'd look almost identical...but even though they look the same you wouldn't think they were both attractive...because we have different standards of beauty for men and women.

• No, women are just more insecure about our looks then guys are and generally we go to more extreme meassures to "fix" those problems, make up, surgery etc, which men often don't do.

But I think generally women are more attractive, I think it's far far more comment for girls to compliment other girls on their looks, then for men to do the same.

• Women have grown up with these things most of the time. It's not that they have to use these them to be attractive. Both of the sexes aren't really equally attractive though because it all depends on who is looking. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

• Men are attractive! I love men :D BUT, if there were no feminine accessories such as the one's mentioned above, we'd all look shockingly similar, doesn't necessarily determine who's more attractive or not, and stereotypes say that women shouldn't have this and that and men should, when we are all born with basically the same stuff. *such as hair and the like*

• The male gender is definitely better looking.

• Not really...I mean masculinity is something that is very attractive on a man. We don't want to see any guy with false lashes on or any makeup. Being manly attracts women, and just raw good looks. To answer your question I don't think any gender is more attractive than they other. Makeup makes women more attractive (usually lol) but it would not make a man more attractive.

• No, not at all.

• Nah, I don't think so. We are both attractive but females are/have evolved to become more attractive.

• biologists say as evolution is happening, women are evolving to become more beautiful where men are staying their ancestral caveman ways, may be to compensate for a higher women to men ratio/ more female babies are born then male. (its getting harder to find a man who settles down also in my opinion lol)