Why are suits an international business fashion?

It's weird that people in every single culture on earth wear them...

Most Helpful Guy

• Westerners started the tradition in overall public style.

Later, the standards dropped a lot for casual fashion, but in an effort to retain a high-status masculine form, business kept the trend, and later expanded it to women as they entered the work force.

As western corporations expanded, Europe and the Americas retained the standard universally.

Most corporate entities had spread out of Europe, since the dutch capitalized on the stock market, US capitalized on capitalism, Europe and N.A. in general were the biggest participants in the industrial revolution.

Most foreign corporations run predominantly on the western model, and adapted the clothing style as the universal and neutral corporate style.

And that brings us up to today.

What Girls Said 5

• I think they look very neutral, so it makes sense they are worn in businesses all over the world. But I think it's ridculous in certain businesses that they are required.

• Its an outfit any guy can pull off

• I wouldn't say "every single culture on earth" ..

• I think western styles caught on after various amounts of trade with other countries and it just seemed right to wear what the guys calling the shots wore.

• not sure but maybe since its a dark color

What Guys Said 5

• There are certain universal things, but each culture has a different take on the story or design. So, there's going to be commonalities or influences that make things similar across many cultures.

Things for work are probably going to be different from play. Clothes are a way of expressing that difference in how you talk, behave, etc. So, I'm sure that certain things need to be universal; then come the addition and influences to make it that cultures own take on things.

I'm not surprised that there are suits or suit-like clothes across different cultures. I'm sure there's a need and a psychology behind the clothes and why a person would have them a certain way. And there's going to be commonalities even when cultures are somewhat isolated.

• Because the people who wore them had all the money.

So everyone else, as soon as they got money, dressed like them.

• Black represents authority.

• the whole purpose is to sell yourself and look as professional as possible

• tradition. plus its a timeless look.