Why do girls tan so often?

It seems it's now common habit for a good 60%+ women to be hitting some local tanning bed, despite knowing the damage UV rays cause, and it's still unclear whether or not men like it overall.

So what are your reasons?

Most Helpful Girl

• i would never set foot in a tanning bed but I think some reasons why women do it is because you look thinner and more toned when you are tan and using a tanning bed = quick results and no tan lines. I think its gross personally and theyre going to age much quicker. I use spf 110 religiously on my face lol I'm a freak.

• I guess that makes sense. I haven't really associated weight appearance with skin tone, but I could see it.

Of course it isn't so much about being skinny so much as it is about not looking fat. But I imagine your local magazine ads aren't going to convey that, are they?

What Girls Said 14

• This question intrigued me having never tanned myself, I embrace my very pale skin!

My opinion on this is that girls think that having tanned skin looks 'healthier' and more attractive .. god knows why.

• Haha. Pale skin totally rules.

But yeah, I was interested myself. It seems expensive to do after a while.

• Multiculturalism and the devaluation of Europeans. Negative attributes being applied to white skinned people vs positive to black or other racial groups (even facial structure applies here,as all races are uniquely different in terms of skeletal structure,immune system, glands, and more).

• Frostie .. I think you're looking in to this a little more deeper than it's probably worth.

OpenClose - I know right! I'll never understand, the girls that do get them done insist they aren't blotchy and orange but I beg to differ, I can spot a fake tanned person a mile away.

• I'll never be a fake baker. I'm pasty and proud. It takes a special person to look good being this pale. =D lol

• They find it attractive to be darker. Personally, I don't artificially tan. I am a natural tanner. I walk out to the mailbox and come back with tan lines. I can get a sun tan in winter. I never have been super pale. And so far, no guys have objected to it.

• I never tanned, but then one winter I just got tired of all the clouds and snow, so I went to a tanning salon. I went like a handful of times just that winter, and it smelled tropical in there, was really warm, and the light cheered me up.

But after that year, I never went again because I know it's not good for you. If I ever feel the need to warm up during another winter, I'll probably get some kind of full spectrum light, turn up the heater, spray tropical scent, and eat some pineapple.

• I don't tan but I think its influenced by the media. It seems these days everyone is tall and tan.

• I don't know... it's quite sad seeing women in their 30's and 40's that look like they would make a leather sack jealous...

• I don't need to tan... but I also think a lot of girls that do..over do it and look weird =\

• Yeah. I mean it's cool and all if you do. There are certainly benefits, like bone health, vitamin D, less acne, and even hormonal balance.

But there seems to be this Snooki craze or something. I see a lot of girls doing it to basically look the same, instead of being their natural selves.

• yea it's OK to tan, I think they look better like a sunkist tan like girls in victoria secret got the best amount of tanning down... snooki does not look good... I really dnt get what guys really like that kind of tan color..but I guess...to each his own

• Because tans don't last for a long time like sun burns they may only last a week

• dark skin is always preferred. that's why tanning is a mutibilion dollar business. Thank god I'm naturally dark and I don't have to spend money to try to get dark :)

• Because it looks good.

• I'm Latina. Don't really need it :)

• What you mean is Why do white girls girls tan so often.

• I think I look thinner when I'm tan and I don't care what men think. I don't go enough to look orange but enough that I don't look super white. I don't value my life so I don't care what damage it does.

• I don't go to a tanning salon, I just lay oiut on the beach or outdoors most of he summer and whatever happens happens. Vitamin D is good for you; just remember your SPF...

What Guys Said 3

• Because it's "Cool" to say you're a minority, and act like the Guidos on Jersey shore with fake tans, or even ugly tans that will land them Skin cancer in 20-30 years. Hey, their right to kill themselves. I don't tan purposely, I avoid the summer sun. I prefer winter, and the cold , nothing past 80. Being in a tropical hot environment isn't the place for me. Many women try to 'fit in', so they don't get rejected. A woman's greatest fear is to be rejected by the society she lives in. Being a society with no distinct culture,identity or anything else, things break down into beliefs. What is "cool" , what isn't. You're then stuck with partying and sleeping around,or possibly even smoking cigarettes because of the positive attributes tied to it,such as being 'sexy', despite it can indirectly kill you later on,like Aids kills a person indirectly through neutralizing the immune system. It is psychological. There is no logic or reasoning behind it. Just emotions being manipulated,and them falling for it every time. Guys receive the same type of pressure as well. It is there to help encourage consumers to buy products they do not need, by including something positive. Whether it is a hot girl on a sports car, or a hot girl eating a burger in a commercial,perhaps even suggesting they'll get laid if they spend time working out all day long 7 days a week. Minorities have less to fear in terms of UV rays than say a European. Africans have sickle cell anemia to worry about, and the foods they eat, which shortens their life spans, or even their life styles in general. But there are so many groups with various problems, it'd take me ages to write them all out and to even look up the ones I've never heard of. It really all boils down to common sense, and not acting on impulse. Being more self aware and of your surroundings.

• They don't care all that much what we guys think. It's that tanning hides small skin blemishes so well, better and more permanently than any makeup!

• yah my cousin tans way too much and she's got little freckles all over her arms and already has wrinkles on her forehead : / I'd rather stick to makeup.

• Also, tanning helps a bit with acne. When I was younger and actually had acne problems, usually tanning on the beach would help it out.

(But that could have been the water or the activity as well, I suppose)

• Of course too much tanning damages the skin long term...

• tanning = I just got back from vacation

it's considered a good look on girls