It's mostly guys' fault that girls have to spend so much money on looking pretty?

This is what I see on here. It's men's fault that girls spend so much money on make up, clothes, working out etc etc.

True or false?

Most Helpful Girl

• Well 90% of womenwho do that do it just to impress guys. I don't like the ''it's because of their insecurities'' statement because they probably have insecurities because of guys who either didn't notice or insulted them in the past. Both genders have are guilty of the situation but I think men really need to understand that if it wasn't bashed into our heads that only pretty girls get the guy we wouldn't spend tons of money on make-up and stuff trying to make ourselves beautiful.

Men are visual I get that. Every guy I"ve ever known with no exception, describes his ideal girlfriend with pretty. Some put in smart, others confident, there's shy and many other words they put in that list but pretty is always there. What conclusion am I supposed to draw from that?

And not to mention shildhood stuff, for example when I was younger there were a lot of boys who insulted me and called me ugly, no guy has ever asked me out on a date and I"m only getting the attention I always wanted from guys now when I"m all grown up and very pretty.

I didn't get any positive attention before, but now that I"m pretty I have lots of guy friends, I've had a couple of boyfriends even, and I see how guys on the street usually notice me.

Considering this, I don't see why guys are so surprised girls do that. I don't wear a lot of make up, but whenever I see a girl who does overdo it I know exactly why she's doing that. I do think it's sad, I do hope she can realize that it's not the make up that makes her beautiful and she doesn't need it to impress guys, I wish it wasn't like that but it is :/

And since my answer is turning out way too long I"m gonna stop here :D

What Girls Said 11

• False. I think its women who put pressure on other women. How many times have you heard women comment on a girls hair, her makeup, what she's wearing, if it suits her or if she needs to lose weight, what she should be eating, if her ass is too small/big, if she has cleavage or is flat chested and how she should emphasise her assets. Men only say yes I find her attractive or no I don't.

It may be plastered all over the media but it is women who influence the media. It is women who buy all the magazines, so the media is only selling what the public wants. If you want to change that then stop buying the bloody things

• i think its the medias fault because we try to live up to the standards we see on tv/in magazines, etc. I don't think it is directly guys that put that pressure on women. guys are the reason (for me) to feel okay going out without any makeup. however if I watch say a VS commercial or something I will feel almost obligated to put makeup on before leaving the house. that may just be personal though.

• Mostly. For some, its because they want to look more attractive, in that way they will develop confidence and esteem. :) For some, its to be liked or seen by the guys they want. For some, its so that their lovers wouldn't be tired of them or look for prettier girls out there. For some, its just their passion to look pretty or a secret way of hiding their sadness or boredom. :)) so yeah..

• I would agree it's more the media than men, but I guess we're only insecure about that we're not like the women in the media because we think that is what men want, so men def play a part in it.

I don't really use a lot of make up and gym is and club sports are free at my college, so the money I spend there is minimal. But what bothers me is that we're supposed to be completley hairless. Getting you legs/pubic area waxed is about 10 times the price you pay for make up and always being completley hairless everywhere is just not archievable.

I think clothes is not mens or the medias fault, women always liked clothes it's often seen as way to express themselves. Even in times in which men appearence mattered more, women always cared about clothes. It just has become more affordable recently

• I use to think that like id blame straightening/damging my curly hair on then but when I stopped I realized it wasn't because guys still liked me and I loved my hair.the main problem were girls because they're the only ones that comment on my hair or to get it straight.

• I agree with the other womens comments...

Its really neither sex completely. It has a lot to do with humans in generally trying to capitalize

on peoples insecurities...even if they have to find a way to create them.

Cause there are things now women are insecure about that they would have never been years ago.

• No. Some girls. Are just. Like. That they like too loo. Nice

• False. I think its medias fualt.

• no..i do it for myself because I like to look good.

• Big false

• I think it's big business because it's big business that tells girls they have to look a certain way and the way is impossible so it makes them feel bad so they spend a ton of money on products to try to look that way.

What Guys Said 4

• False. Women do this because they feel they need to compete with other women, not because they feel they need to please men.

• It's the genes who should be to blame.

• well no doubt both genders try to impress, but it mostly comes from their own insecurities

• I'm going to go with false on this one. Girls dress to impress other girls--not guys. Same with make up. Working out, is the one thing that'll matter to guys. After all, the picture we want looking as good as possible is what she'll look like naked in bed or in the shower or wherever else with us. So makeup and clothes aren't really that important.

• Make up and clothes are supposed to create the illusion that we look good naked too. ressing may be to impress other girls,but working out and make up is entirley to impress guys. Every guy I have ever asked what they want in a girlfriend answered "pretty" and there came little else after that. We grew up believing that only prettiest girls will get a good guy, so it's reasonable we try to cheat with make up

• True, and make up helps a little, but honestly not a ton. And clothes don't really help at all. We're extremely good at judging what you look like naked. And once the clothes are off, that's pretty much the image of you that sticks with us. So definitely spend the time in the gym.

Having said that, women are definitely motivated by other women to out-do them body-wise. So event that isn't all about us. The number of times I've seen a girl flaunt her superior cleavage to another. . .