Should I cut my hair?

25 year old black light skinned male who has short dreads but tidy. I'm very concerned about future potential issues regarding unprofessionalism in my future career as a dentist. I grew my hair back as a memorial for the death of my sister who, when alive, grew my hair out as a teenager. My girlfriend keeps telling me not to worry about cutting it and that it can be professional as long as it is neat but I think she just wants me to be happy. She watched me grow it out this far from just a haircut and I think she thinks this issue saddens me, which it does. I don't know what to do...

Thank you guys for your responses!

Most Helpful Girl

• Don't cut it if you don't want to. I wouldn't mind if my dentist had dreads, it doesn't make him less of a professional in my eyes.

What Girls Said 4

• Keep it. Through the years I have seen teachers with all sorts of styles and I never looked at them as unprofessional. I think the world has grown to a much more tolerant one and less caring about issues that long ago were a big deal. I agree as long as it is neat it should not be a problem in your profession.

• As long has they are well kept and tidy I don't think it will jeopardize the chance of you getting the job you want.

• keep it. Don't change it, your girlfriend is right, as long as you keep it neat you should be fine! :)

• if you're not like Bob Marley with'my hair is my life' you can cut it but as a dentist I've seen girls with dreads and braids pull their hair up so it shouldn't be an issue.if its too long to put up in the hat you could cut a couple of inches off or wear a bun.

What Guys Said 0