Guys: do your female friends have to be somewhat attractive?

I always felt like guys only hung out with girls they'd probably end up with. True?

Most Helpful Guy

• For the most part, guys will only be friends with girls they would have sex with, yes. Are there exceptions? Sure, but if you're a girl, and you have a male friend between 16 and 60, there's a 99% chance he would sleep with you given the opportunity.

Being friends with a girl can be exhausting sometimes (girls like to talk, and want a lot of your attention, and can be demanding), so most guys don't want to bother unless they are at least somewhat attracted to the girl. Exceptions for professional relationships, need-based relationships (lab partners at school, etc.), or family friends, of course.

What Guys Said 9

• Yes. I would tap every single last one of my female friends. No strings attached I could do, but not a longterm relationship

• Not true but the danger is if you are around ones that are less attractive - they can 'take a shot' at you and then it threatens the friendship.

If you do have friends that you wouldn't consider dating - it takes effort sometimes to make sure you stay on the same page to keep the friendship.

• It's not true for me.

Although I must say that some female friends saw my friendship as a 'signal', which led to some awkward situations.

• This isn't necessarily true. I would sleep with most of them, but I wouldn't date the vast majority.

I have some female friends that aren't particularly attractive.

• No..it might have been a little more like that when I was a teenager...but now...I don't care at all..(:(:(:

• It's true, I can't be friends with a girl I wouldn't really consider banging.

• Generally true. Not because I'm trying to get with them, but you tend to bond with people you find attractive and you tend to find people attractive who you bond to. As an added bonus, hot girls tend to have hot friends to date!

• Not always true but when I think of having female friends, I always want them to be hot. It feels better when you're out in public hanging out with cute girls. It ups your cool factor.

I need to get some hot friends lol.

• No. It does not matter even though they usually are.

What Girls Said 1

• Guys only talk to girls they'd be OK with sleeping with. Nothing to do with dating, though -- most guys will bed more girls than they'd date. If he talks to the girl circumstantially through a group project or something, he might end up being friends with a few girls he's not attracted to, though.