Can a girl be pretty to other girls but ugly to guys?

I recently heard this saying that a beautiful woman according to woman's standard wasn't necessarily beautiful to men and that the reverse was also true.

Is it true?

Is there such a thing as being girl-pretty (meaning girls will generally find you pretty) ?

I am mainly referring to face beauty here, not the overall body attractiveness, because I know that when it comes to body shape and size women have completely different views of what is attractive and what isn't.

However I always thought that girls could definitely spot a beautiful girl! And that usually if you were pretty by girls' standard then you were really pretty by men's standard. (yes because women tend to be much more discriminating when it comes to some imperfections)

Besides, I think the current trend in famous women that are regarded as beautiful sort of confirm this right?

Most Helpful Guy

• yes absolutely. Girls seem to think another girl is pretty if she bleaches her hair, does her make up, has nice clothes and jewelry. window dressing doesn't make a girl pretty.

Girls get it wrong all the time too. they'll say jennifer aniston for example is pretty (ugh. not even close) and totally miss the boat on the really pretty girls like megan fox or kim kardasian.

Girls just seem to look at the superficial stuff like her hair style and make up and think that's pretty. Guys are looking at their face and body.

• really? then I have guys taste in girls because I don't think jennifer aniston is pretty (she has a great body though) and megan fox, or kim kardashian are very pretty. I never consider a girl pretty just because she bleaches her hair or has make-up. I base myself on her bone structure and if she has a pretty face (eye shape, nose shape, lips and such). I do think all girls do the same but maybe as it has been mentioned they're more reluctant to admit it.

• at my job a while back the girls were debating whos prettier aniston or jolie and except for one who later changed her mind they all said aniston. ugh off by a long shot.

Maybe I'm wrong then but in my experience girls seem like they base it on superficial stuff like hair and make up. Or maybe those girls, like my co workers, just had bad taste.

• i JUST talked to my guy friend about this and I thought kim k is super hot and he said she was ugly and that he thought jennifer anniston was a babe... lol seriously exact conversation yesterday. so I guess it really does depend on the guy and his tastes.

What Guys Said 8

• This statement can never be so true... Women and men appear to be night and day when it comes to this question. Women in general discriminate against woman who threaten them, thus insulting or demeaning there looks regardless if they are attractive or not. Men however usually stick to the basics... Though vulgar most men care not of semantics only of a woman's sexual appeal. So if a woman says she "hot" and I man does not find her sexually attractive he will disagree and in retrospect if a man finds a woman "hot" the other woman will compare her in relation to herself and base her opinion... So has been my experience in life...

• I don't understand. Do you mean that girls actually lie about who they find attractive ? As in they will say that a truly beautiful girl is ugly out of jealousy ? and that they're more likely to actually say that a girl is pretty is she's not threatening to them?

• I can not speak for women, this has been my observation in relation to how woman perceive beauty. Your interpretation is exactly correct. Test the theory sometime amonst your friends. The same can be said for men. A man will do the exact same and when threatened by another male will instinctively find character flaws.

• absolutely, I don't know how many thousands of times my girl friends will say "shes so pretty" or "shes so ugly" and I have felt the EXACT opposite about her opinion.

• Girls tend to complement girls they care about or think are nice and hate on girls they clash with and call them ugly. If they like their fashion sense then they think they are cute and what not. All of that is not what physically makes a girl pretty to guys.

• I heard a saying which goes something like this 'Ones mans junk is another mans treasure'. I guess we can also place beauty into that context.What one man perceives as unattractive the other man will see a female as being beautiful godess. Laugh as you wish but it's true and you don't have to listen to a teenager.

• Yes...girls never seem to understand what guys like...look at this site...girls will almost always believe other girls instead of guys...and they frequently pay the price..o.O

• Yes, it's true.

Although not always as a rule, plenty of girls have vastly different opinion from guys when it comes to rate how attractive is a certain girl.

• There are exceptions, but generally speaking women tend to find beauty in nonconventional/unique features while men have more of a cookie-cutter ideal of beauty. Of course cultural/ethnic background defines what that cookie cutter look usually is.

• I do not really think it is. People are attracted to different things and have different opinions on what is attractive. link Like, look at all the different answers for this question,

What Girls Said 8

• Yes it's definitely possible. Lots of females that I'll find to be attractive will get dissed by my guy friends and then I'm told that I'm blind to think that meanwhile I sincerely thought they were stunning.

• Yes some friends will say 'oh why don't you have a boyfriend you're so pretty' but guys don't approach or try to talk to you

• In my experience that is definitely true! Though not always the case, there are so many women that girls think are gorgeous but guys don't necessarily think the same way. Weird how that works.

• It's weird, because most of the tie I find that guys don't have really good taste when it comes to girls. A pretty girl to them, would be an average girl to me. And that's definitely not out of jealousy or anything ..because when I do find a girl beautiful well she is usually stunning by guy's standards and they won't approach her.

• My god yes, look at some of the popular high fashion models girls tend to think they are stunning with perfect bodies but most guys will think they are funny looking and are way waaay too thin.

• Yes

• yes very true. a lot of times girl pretty and guy pretty are different. for example I would say a somewhat punkish trendy girl with a short choppy haircut, smokey eyes, and very skinny. she can look stylish and trendy and may be pretty but with the short hair and heavy makeup and lack of curves a guy may not find her sexually attractive/desirable

often girl pretty is trendy/made up type of look, guys like more classic and feminine features and looks

• yes, so true.

There are so many naturally beautiful girls that guys overlook because they see her as "plain".

• Yes I'm one of those people who are pretty to girls but ugly to guys.

I skinny and tall but I got boobs and hips and I have more of a childlike face. Girls always say I'm pretty and I've even had girls tell me that they wished they looked like me. My childhood friend actually recently told me that she always wished she looked like me.

But guys...umm I've never had a boyfriend. I've never had a guy say that I was attractive unless they were family or an old man, but I have had guys tell me that I was ugly lol.

It seems to me like men are more discriminating when it comes to imperfections. I just think that it seems like women are because they are hard on themselves. For example I hate the fact that I don't have much of a gap between my thighs but I find that other girls look great without a gap.

• Yes I know that when it comes to body attractiveness, our standards and theirs are very different. But when it comes to face beauty, my experience has been that whenever a girl was really pretty to other girls, she was actually stunning to guys. Now I don't know, maybe it has something to do with whether or not they're sexually attracted to them. ..