Why do people assume that every black girl with long hair has a weave?

it is so annoying. Not just other races but black people also. I get so tired of people assuming that black hair doesn't grow long or if its long and nice it must be fake or I must be mixed with something. It really annoys me.

Black grows the same rate as any other race when you stop putting harmful chemicals in it to break it off and using too much heat. In my pics my hair is straightened...but I am so tired of having to "prove" to people my hair is real. It gets on my nerves. Any other black women deal with this.

And no you don't have to be mixed...i have seen plenty of dark black women with natural hair down their backs! Educate yourself about black hair, it grows!

Most Helpful Guy

• my girlfriend is black and according to her, it's far from easy to maintain. when it does grow, it's tough to make it grow right without extensive and strict maintenance. She's working on growing it longer, but I guess it takes more time to grow it properly than the hair of other races.

What Guys Said 9

• As a black male that's interacted (not just dating) with many black females...sadly most don't know how to maintain their hair without damaging it.

You probably know some youth/teen girls that have very short hair because it was badly permed, or permed too often and their hair fell out or stopped growing. :-X

Sorry for the rant.

• I don't

• I think its do to Hollywood stereotypes truthfully. Honestly, I have only met two women with hair weaves and low and be hold they were white...

• Well most black girls were weave, and the black girls that have long nature hair is hard to find to date, its like 2.5 out of 10

• Because most do.

• Because its fairly common for black women to wear weave, not that I'm saying that you all do but its a stereotype.

• there just stupid stereotypes if you ask me

• i don't really know what a weave is, but who cares what people think is going on with your hair?!

• Other black people allude to that being the case. I figured they would know. lol I guess not. But, I never went around saying that every girl had a weave in. It doesn't really cross my mind.

What Girls Said 6

• *slow clap*

I have long real hair but I wear weaves sometimes. I don't wear weaves because I'm baldheaded, I wear them for style and added fullness. You know, for the same reason many women of all races wear weave. Paris Hilton and Jessica Simpson have hair weave lines and black girls aren't exactly buying them *hint hint* Most black girls don't buy our weave from Sally's Beauty Supply but weave is sold there so shouldn't that tell people something?

My sister is dark skinned and has longer and looser hair than me. We are very careful with the chemicals we do put in our hair and don't go crazy with the heat.

It used to get on my nerves to be constantly called out for "omg is that your real hair" and then when I answer be accused of lying. Now I'm just like shut the f*** up. If they're not paying for my hair appointments then their opinion doesn't matter.

• Lol I kno the feelin. Me and my sister are natural with THICK kinky coily hair that when straight hits us mid back. Since their are so many weave wearers around it does seem suspect if we're claiming its real. don't blame them. Blame it on the fact that few black women wear their own hair anymore...

• Lol ya or if I get my hair done the stylist asks if its permed! But the ends are straight from heat damage, so I guess that's how they can assume. But some of my friends do wear clip in just to make it a little more full but most of their hair is long.

• thats how the media portray us. but a lot of us don't typically have very long hair to begin with, when I take out my braids pple always asking is that your real hair? lol I get annoyed too, like plse dnt touch my hair lol yes its real

• i have to deal with the same thing. I have hair going past my bra strap and most people automatically assume I'm mixed.

• Because it is a weave more times than not. But that doesn't mean that there aren't any black girls with long hair that don't have a weave and that doesn't mean that there aren't any non-black girls with weaves because there are plenty.

My hair is about mid back length and natural (I am mixed but my hair texture is pretty much typical black people hair), but I don't get bent out of shape when someone assumes my hair isn't real, as long as they don't put their hands on me. But I fear you are drawing unnecessary attention to something that not many people think much of in the first place I wish black people would stop making such a big deal about hair. Who cares if someone thinks your hair is a weave. They're assuming a lot more about you than just that anyway. Can't stop people for having minds of their own.