Why do some obese people look bigger than me?

According to my bmi, I am obese. I am 5'2 and weigh around 200 pounds. but I don't know why, but other obese people look different then me. They have big double chins and sometimes look swollen (im not trying to.offend anyone. Sorry.). I don't have a big chin. My face is a bit more defined but its still round. I've always been big. Ive.never been thin and I don't know if this is true but some people say I am big boned. I know I'm still fat, its not all bone but I can feel them in certain areas of my body so idk. I've been at this weight since high school. My pe teacher once took our body fat percentage and he seemed surprised that mine was 25? He took it twice to make sure so I don't know if that's bad or good.

I know it wouldn't be a bad thing to drop some pounds, which I will work on when.i have some time. but I was wondering why I don't look like the rest of the people. I have big boobs.and a normal sized ass (its not big either). I have normal sized hips but thick legs. My doctors always tell me I'm healthy I just need to work on my weight. I don't have any diseases and I don't eat junk food. I rarely do. And I'm a vegetarian. I don't work out anymore but I walk home from work, walk up stairs at school, and I babysit, so I'm always after the child. But I don't know, I find it weird that I don't look that big. people find it surprising I weigh 215 because I know some people who are around that weight and theyre bigger than me, sometimes even a lot taller. Why is that?

Most Helpful Girl

• Some people just wear their weight better than others. It's to do with your body type and size of your frame.

Someone who is 140 lbs and has a small frame may not look that good. But someone who has a large frame might also look too skinny at that weight. While someone with an average frame will look perfectly healthy.

I am in the same boat as you. I have a large frame and I am somewhat taller. I've always had big boobs, wide hips and wide shoulders.

While everyone around me was 100-140lbs, I could be 180 and still look good. It's just because my frame is big, I have to have more weight on to look proportionate. I lost weight once and was just under 160 and I was starting to look too thin for my frame. My ribs were starting to jut out much (crazy huh?). I was about a size small at that time. But that is just how my body is. While I have friends who can look perfectly healthy at 90lbs.

Everyone is different, so one weight on a friend will look entirely different on you.

What Guys Said 1

• Maybe they are MORBIDLY Obese, (i.e. BMI of 40+). that would be the explanation on why they look bigger than you.

What Girls Said 7

• I'm exactly where you are - 5'2 @ 195 lbs. (previously 215, but I've been on the Atkins diet for a few months). People never believe me when I tell them how much I weigh simply because I wear the extra weight well and most of it distributes to the right places. My sister is alos 5'2, but judging by how much she weighs and how she looks, I'd look ill if I weighed what she does... because the BMI is a load of bullsh*t, to be simple.

The BMI leaves out too many things, although it's a nice place to start for some people. It only calculates your height to mass/weight, but not your volume - doesn't take into account different body shapes. For instance, I'm curvy with broad shoulders and wide hips but my sister is very slender. Then there's bone structure... I have naturally thick/large and muscular legs and thighs, while my sister's are naturally very long and thin.

• Bone structure, bone density, muscle mass, body shape and height.

• Everyone carries their weight differently!

For instance, some people are more prone to carrying their weight in their midsection, while others are more prone to carrying their weight in their upper body.

25%? or just 25? Sorry, I've tried to understand the whole body fat thing and the only thing I gather is athletes usually have anywhere from 14%-20% and that the average female has body fat of 20%-30%

• you carry it well that's all. by the way you can have someone who is 5'4 and 110 pounds who has a high body fat % verses someone who is 5'4 130 pounds who is within normal range for body fat and the 110lbs person can be obese just based on their body fat %

• Thats really strange. I didn't know that. is it because I've always been fat?

My mom used to be thin until she reached her twenties. Now, the little bit of weight she puts on doesn't looked right. It makes a big difference on her.

• not sure the reason. could just be genetically you carry your weight better than others. I'm overweight at 5'7 and 175 but I don't look it myself. If you add me ill show you how I look so you see what I mean

• Everyone cares their weight differently. Some people store their fat more internally while others it is more on the surface so they look bigger. I am 5'2 and at my biggest I weighted 145 and I looked like a chunky monkey to be sure but I carry my weight in the middle so I think that is why I looked so big.

• I'm 5'5 219.0lbs and I've always felt like my fat is different my collar bone or "cupids arrow" is very defined I don't have any extra chin. My waist is actually small and I've always wondered why I've eaten and been active but I have thick thick big boobs and a normal slightly larger bottom. seems like the only unneeded appendage is my tummy. When my mother (who is also overweight) went to the dentist to get a tooth pulled and the dentist told her she had very big bones literally. So it is possible that you could have big bones like me and my mother.

• Some people do have a bigger/thicker bone structure than others. BMI is only an estimate, not a hard and fast ruler. Also, when it comes to obesity...there is a whole spectrum. Obesity is just a hazy description ... stuff like blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol, mobility -- those are more important conditions than simply "obesity."