Life is more difficult for ugly people.

I know this is a controversial subject, but do you agree with it? Honestly, I believe that better looking people will always have it easier in life. that's just the way society is unfortunately.

I know many of you will say that no ones ugly, but honestly, there are people out there who are arguably ugly (not just by opinion). But don't sugarcoat it and honestly, ask yourself if you believe Ugly people have it worse.

I was watching Taboo on NatGeographic, and the name of the episode was titled - Ugly. It focused in on how society views ugly people.

• Yes
  • No
  • See results

Most Helpful Guy

• Anyone saying no is a f*cking moron...

What Girls Said 21

• I don't think it depends as much on looks as we think. There are plenty of less attractive girls that guys seem to flock after. Life's difficulty, in my opinion, is determined more by class, social status, types of friends, and your surroundings, as well as character; Some people are optimistic and they're fighters, while some people accept defeat and hardships and they just kind of settle. And then there's some people who are perfectly content.

I probably didn't answer that as eloquently as I wanted to...but I guess you get it.

• I really feel like either way it sucks. Being ugly, your mocked and alone, and being pretty, you're mocked, envied, and never left alone or in extreme cases of gorgeousness no one talks to you because they're so jealous of you (yeah I've seen it happen)

There are pros and cons to everything but either way people live life with what they've got and try and make the best of it.

And truly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, personality traits and habits can also make a person ugly, not just looks.

• This is true.

I am aware that I have gotten things handed to me and easily had an advantage all because someone thought I was attractive. But things didn't used to always be that way for me; I used to be on the other side of it. It felt terrible. Many people seem more receptive to you when they think you look good. Men tend to be drawn to it posssibly sexually or as a romantic interest whereas many women tend to be intrigued like they want to take notes or find out if you're all effed up inside.

• I agree. Nevertheless, beautiful people (specially girls) ran the risk of giving too much importance to appearance. That leads to selfishness and incapacity to appreciate other people. Exactly for those reasons, ugly people are many times very interesting people, and their relationships are usually strong. Also I think that by freeing resources otherwise used up by appearance related efforts, ugly people tend to score higher intelectually, getting better and higher degrees. So, be aware of ugly people - We know better !

• It's true.it's not right though.too bad life isn't that way to people who are ugly on the inside

• life is difficult for everyone.

• The question was if it is even more difficult for people who considered to be ugly.

• I don't know about that, my life isn't overly difficult. Sure somedays are harder then others but overall my life is pretty good.

• A little blury picture but you sure don't look ugly to me lol.

Do people often tell you that you are ugly, to your face?

• I said ugly, not overweight, and do not confuse the two, they are very different.

overweight can be changed with some good old fashioned hard work. appearance cannot.

• @scar1 I don't understand your comment. Especially the one about this is based on America, last time I checked Canada is part of North America...

• When it comes to self-esteem and social interactions with others, I say yes- life is unquestionably harder for ugly people. It impacts the way people treat them, which may eventually shape the way they view themselves. It's seriously sad that a smart, funny, loving person may grow to hate themselves because everyone around them constantly reminds them that they're basically worthless in a superficial society such as ours.

• sucks and its wrong. but it is true. unattractive people are treated differently

• I think they do on the surface, but if you peel back that thin layer you'd see they have it just as hard as everyone else. No one goes through this life unscathed.

• I have a best friend that thinks she's ugly because she has only a few friends. She always complains that she doesn't have any friends. She also doesn't have a job and she's 28 years old.

• I believe most are average and still haven't seen someone so hideous that can't even get someone to talk to. If so, I feel sorry for him/her. I'll be the friend then. Everyone needs loves.

• I would say so

• Yeah that's true

• Yes. I am extremely hideous no matter what I do to improve myself. People have always treated me like crap because of the way that I look. One time after I spent the day at a spa where I was given a new hair cut, and they put make up on me, I was teased in the elevator. These guys were laughing at the nasty looking girl and saying things like: "There is one for you!" and wouldn't stop bothering me. They told me I look more like a guy than a girl and that I should kill myself.

• Oh yes very much so , I think I've experienced both

I lost 70 pounds in a year and a half through exercise and dieting , its like with every 10 pounds I lose , things just become easier

I get free stuff from male sales clerks , I get out of tickets , guys open doors for me , people actually want to be friend me now

so yes I do agree

• i think yes and no. Some of their "bad' life circumstances may have to do with the way they look, but I think it's sort of a cope out. Like being like I'm ugly that's why this or that instead of changing whatever is wrong in their lives. like I knew this one girl in HS, and not even trying to be mean, but she wasn't attractive at all. but she was extremely popular and guys liked her because she was outgoing, funny etc. and the statement no one is ugly is true. Haven't you heard of the saying "one man's trash is another man's treasure" .

• I disagree with you. How a person's life turns out has nothing to do with what he or she looks like.

I've been told that I'm pretty, but that's not my life. I'm 19 years old and have gone through some really awful things. And being considered good-looking doesn't do anything for me. I'm extremely shy (borderline social anxiety disorder), therefore I have a lot of trouble making friends. It has caused depression since I was about 14.

I watched my dad suffer from a drug addiction for 10 years until he killed himself just a few years ago. It's still causing huge issues in my family and it tore so many things apart.

I'm sorry to disagree, but people saying that 'ugly' people have it more difficult do not know every person's life and cannot judge by what they think.

It may be true in some cases that 'ugly' people have it harder, but there are 'pretty' people who also have it hard.

• I didn't ask if how they looked determined how their life turned out. I asked if it determined how difficult it was for them to get there. sure there are some pretty people who have it hard, but generally, it is believed that ugly people have it harder. If you were to take two people, one ugly, one pretty, yet of identical economic, and social status, and everything else, which one do you think would be able to get father ahead more easily?

• Yes. I'm just thinking about it in terms of school-aged children; I remember how EVIL some people in elementary and middle school were to the kids who were chubby or not as attractive as others...

• I voted yes, but I do think it's a complex issue that has different results on a case by case basis.

Personally I think it's easier to spot when someone is being nice or generous to someone when they are attractive. Usually there are somewhat obvious cues of flirtation or admiration. On the other hand it's harder to spot when someone is being nice to an unattractive person simply because they are not intimidated by them. The person may simply be a nice person and also it's hard to pinpoint that someone is being nicer just because the other person is being pitied in a sense. It's a behavior that often is a result of something subconscious in our nature.

Also people never begrudge the fact that people might be nice to someone for being unattractive but they often do begrudge the attractive person for anything and everything.

I'll say this. I've often been told I'm really pretty and that I should model. When I started my current job, so many women were very rude and hateful to me. I'm used to it because I know many women begrudge any good looking female. I often overcompensate by being too nice. Another woman started the same day as me. She was very overweight and kind of aggressive/harsh. Even still, all the women that had an issue with me seemed to immediately take her under their wing.

So both people struggle ...but I would never volunteer to switch my appearance...so that's why I would have to say ugly people have it harder.

• I agree with you to a certain extent. Unattractive people do sometimes have it harder, but that's only when it comes to first impressions and superficial circumstances. If you have a really good looking person who is dull, boring or rude, then at some point, that person will be overlooked as much as the next unattractive person.

• no not true, if a girl is really hot but just dumb and maybe a bitch, she's still really hot and better than the ugly girl, no matter what the ugly girl's personality, and any other guy that tells you otherwise is just lying

• oh, you would be surprised how much crap people happily tolerate from attractive people. A LOT of crap.

• You guys are definitely right. But I know in SOME cases, those people are only tolerated under "superficial" circumstances for sex, maybe a job, etc. Idk, I'd like to think that at some point looks would take a step back and personality would step up...

What Guys Said 13

• It is, and there are ugly people in the world and in most cultures they get treated badly. I've been called ugly for most my life, even at times by my own father (who was the complete opposite, many, many women did think he's very hot - still do actually even though he's in his 60s now).

At the same time, it's not a death sentence. For one, people considered ugly in one part of the world, can be seen as exotic or even attractive in another part of the world. In my case, North America and Europe tends to find me ugly, but parts of the Mid East, Iran in particular, the Far East, and the Orient, I've appeared at least attractive and interesting enough to at least warrant their women approaching me. So I leveraged that to my advantage.

Of course those who considered me ugly also took advantage of that to mock me, insisting only a desperate loser would go to another country for a woman. Funny enough, most of these same people, if they are married, also bitch about a lousy sex life, if they are single complain there's no good men/women out there, and yet, I the ugly one, makes love to a beautiful woman every night. So go figure lol.

• This is one of those things that while it effects both genders, I'll hesitantly give the edge to women. Being ugly is a disadvantage but I'll admit that its more of a disadvantage for women since women tend to be judged solely on their appearance. I'm not really sure why they are, but that just seems to be how it is.

• Well, it's not really that strange that those who are considered attractive our beautiful get certain perks that those considered ugly don't. Most people want and appreciate things they consider beautiful.

But what is more interesting is how what is considered a beautiful person have dramatically changed during the centuries.

"Back in the days" both men and women powdered their faces white, displaying that they weren't a worker on the fields getting tanned by the sun. Nowadays having a sun tan is considered beautiful and healthy. People should also eat a lot and being mildly obese only showed status that you had money and was well fed. We all know that is not the case nowadays. There is many examples like this.

So in reality there is no ugly people. Just different trends.

What is beautiful today is ugly tomorrow.

• Great response! (: I totally agree! Before marilyn Monroe's body was thE ideal for women and now women want to be sticks generally

• people say its about personality, they can go f*** themselves. if a girl is really hot but just dumb and maybe a bitch, she's still really hot and better than the ugly girl, no matter what the ugly girl's personality, and any other guy that tells you otherwise is just lying

• The truth is life IS definitely a lot easier for better looking people than average looking people. I mean, look at men like George Clooney. The dude can't act for sh*t, but because he is considered a good looking guy, he manages to land movie roles and date beautiful women. I mean, if he were an average looking guy with his acting skills, he probably wouldn't be offered many roles. And for those who argue there are a lot of average looking people acting, note how damn funny or reasonably good actors they are. Also, good looking people definitely do have a better chance at getting better service, better job opportunities etc. Unfortunately, we live in a very shallow society where looks do account for how an individual is treated.

• I totally get what you're saying man. Especially when I go to ask a girl out to a movie and just get blasted in the face with pepper spray.

• Yes, ugly people have it harder in life. There is actually a lot of scientific data to back this up. Studies have shown that people who are more attractive (rated as such by a panel of observers) make higher wages, have lower divorce rates, and are generally happier. Sucks but it's true.

• Science even has proven life is easier for attractive people (jobs, relationships, etc). So yes, ugly people have it harder.

• Also, I will state, all attractiveness is fairly opinion base and subjective. It's got some consistency depending on the culture, but, again, that depends on the culture. Example? A few hundred hears ago more plump/fat women were considered hot. These days? a bit more toned and skinny and such. Or in Korea they value larger eyes and more pale skin (basically the more "white" the person looks the hotter) where as many Americans find the tanned skin and "exotic" face/eyes to be attractive.

• Ah, I always thought it was some infatuation with white people. Cause it seems to be from things I've read and people I've met.

• It's that too, and stems from the cultural tradition of the rich and powerful staying in the shade and developing lighter skin. Essentially, a darker toned Asian woman sees a white guy as a way for her kids to be light-skinned, and thus looked upon more highly.

Many are surprised when white guys tell them that they LIKE the darker tones lol.

• At least in some way it is harder for people who are considered ugly by the majority. And usually it's even more than just some way...

• I had this conversation with someone before, and some good points were said

Mainly, if you compare 2 people, ugly vs beautiful, the beautiful one will come out ontop

But, 2 downsides of being beautiful is: You don't push yourself & You take what you get

An ugly person will have to work for what they want, they'll most likely go further than the beautiful person who just sat on his arse.

• Respectfully disagree. I have a friend who is gorgeous and likes to look good. In high school she worked her butt off in order to prepare for college. Scholarships, ap classes, she was always working. She was popular of course, but so hilarious and down to earth with people. I think some people are simply more motivated than others.

• oh yes that is an actual fact of reality, anyone saying that is not the case is lying we live in a really messed up world.

• It is a fact that good looking people get further in life with less difficulty

• agree