Should cosmetic surgery be insured?

I don't know of a single country that has insurance which covers cosmetic surgery. Should it be?

Most Helpful Girl

• The line should be drawn more clearly about elective and non elective cosmetic surgeries. If it is done for physical health benefits- better eyesight, better beathing for a deviated septum then yes, it should be covered.

The problem with covering ALL cosmetic surgeries is that you are more likely to have people who nonchalantly go and get cosmetic surgeries. A lot of people want to make the argument that making it completely accessible is similar to making drugs completely accessible- the ease at which one can get it takes the lure out of it. However, the difference is, legality has NOTHING to do with why people don't use drugs- its a moral thing. With plastic surgery, many people don't get it because of how expensive it is.

That being said, if anyone over the age of 18 can go in and get cosmetic surgery, it gives anyone an excuse to get surgery done. Hell, I would have had lipsuction already and I am only 22. It also creates a slippery slope for those with major self esteem issues and could trigger Body Dysmorphic Disorder. Quite frankly, making surgery harder to get is ideal. It prevents hasty decisions.

What Girls Said 7

• In Canada, it is covered in certain situations...

If you've been disfigured...

If you've been burned...

If you've had a Mastectomy...

and I think sometimes in cases of extreme mental health

• No way. Cosmetic surgery is done so that you can look better. If getting cosmetic surgery won't save your life, you shouldn't get it insured. That's insane.

• Yeah, even though I would never do it I do think it should be. Because insurance is for your health & if someone is unhappy with the way they look & they change it it can help them, mentally & emotionally.

it's petty, but people have their self image problems..

• if you don't need it for any medical reason or the reconstruct something then you should work for it and pay for it yourself. If its was covered I think people would easily get addicted to a little nip/tuck

• You know how many insecure women would be all over that if it were "free". GUYS just throw away and forget about all the natural sh*t you talk about you wanting a woman to have. Every bitch is going to be fake.^.^ to each his own though.

• I'm not sure if it should be covered or not, but I know my sister went to a plastic surgeon to get a mole cut off her nose (essentially low level cosmetic surgery) and that was covered by her insurance.

• Probably because only rich people can afford it...

What Guys Said 8

• Yes, and ice cream should be free as well.

• Don't forget all other kinds of food.

Oh, vehicles should be free too for those who live more than 10 miles from a major city.

Oh and we can't forget about video games, got to entertain ourselves somehow...

• Those things are already free in Florida, but ice cream is through-the-roof!

• If the issue is a perfectly healthy person who wants to enhance their appearance for vanity sake with something like liposuction or rhinoplasty, then no. That should be paid for out of the patients own pocket. But if the issue is reconstructive surgery on a guys face because he went sailing through the windshield of his car at 60mph, yeah I think that should be covered by insurance.

• Should ANYTHING have to be worked for?

• According to Occupy Wall Street people, no. It should be handed down

• You know peace, it's too bad you're such a bitch, it seems like we would have got along quite well otherwise.

• it depends. if you were in some sort of axedent and need it to look normal than yes. if you look good/normal and just want to look better than no.

if you feel ugly and want to fix something about your self... I'm going to say no but it might depend on what you want fixed and how bad it is.

• But then again, the slippery slope is "what is normal?" How serious of a defect are we talkin? Its all relative. One person could view the patient as just fine while the other will gladly give them surgery.

• I wish it was. I was have this link

Because of this I had asthma and a very small lung capacity. It's listed under cosmetic surgery and costs about $20,000. FML lol. This sh*t is holding me back from dating/getting laid!

• In the UK at least it actually is sometimes possible on the NHS. Has to be non-frivellous though. Like having something really wrong with you which is really making you depressed and impeding your life.

• no because it is cosmetic unless it is for extreme disfigurment. If it was covered, insurance companies would charge more for premiums for sure.

• if it is medically needed it already is. elective surgery shouldn't be covered