Favorite department store makeup, ladies?

Hello, ladies!

I've been thinking of changing my makeup from drug store (i.e., I've been using Revlon) to department store. I'm 34, need better coverage, better wrinkle-reducer (cringe), and I just want to look better overall. What are your recommendations?

I'm probably just going to splurge on foundation, concealer, and powder. I'll continue to use drug store eyeliner and lipstick.

Suggestions, experiences, etc. please! I will award Best Answer.

Most Helpful Girl

• For foundation I would recommend Mac... Bobbi brown... I have a great tip. Every morning, just rub your hands together about 30 times, and rub your face from down to up in a washing face motion. From chin to sides of nose and cheeks to forehead to hairline and repeat. My grandpa and gran and aunt do this and there is almost no sagging and wrinkles. Grandpa and gran are 80s and aunt is 60s and has been told she looks to be in her 30s 40s. I know this doesn't answer your question but I hope this will help you. Meanwhile, you can purchase a book called facial fitness. It really works. Get rids of eye bags, sagging, and wrinkles. Especially around the lips, eyes and forehead.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 25

• I upgraded from drug store to department store and I find that you can't go wrong with Lancome and Clinque. I have very very very very oily skin and I get wonderful results with their foundations. Lancome's eyeliner is really water proof and doesn't smudge. Lancome has a Genifique serum that works well for wrinkles and overall skin tone.

• Eye shadow: MAC, and sugarpill have the best colors. They're bright, and last a long time (sugarpill is online only) Too Faced is very good quality (I like their durability better than MAC), but they're very limited in colors. You can check them out at any ULTA store.

Mascara- MAC plush lash gives a nice full look to lashes, but I also love Too Faced waterproof mascara. Unlike most H2O proof mascara, it doesn't crumble and flake when dry

Eyebrow pencils- covergirl. It's cheap and stays on all day

Liquid eyeliner- MAC- its lasts all day, goes on dark, but can be difficult to remove (which just shows how good it is!)

I don't really wear lip products...

Foundation: Rimmel is my favorite for texture, all day wear, and looking smooth but they don't have a lot of color options. I'm pretty pale and even the "ivory" looks tan on me. However I do use their translucent powder and it works pretty good to keep a matte look. Back to foundation though- I'm currently wearing covergirl trublend. It matches the best and lasts pretty decent. I tried MC before but there wasn't a good match to my skin, and the price wasn't worth the mediocre results for all day wear.

Most department store stuff is just meh to be honest. Try an ULTA or Sephora first before venturing out to Macy's, Dillard's, or Nordstrom. MAC is really the only brand worth checking out there anyway, and some of their products can be substituted for something cheaper.

• I usually buy from mac stores.

I haven't really had any experience when it comes to shopping around for make up.

I just love mac stores because they sample make up on you on the spot (and can find your right tone in less than a few minutes).

That can they can give you great tips what what lipstick/eyeshadows that go well with you.

I guess I haven't really went anywhere else because I am satisfied with mac products.

• Are there actual MAC stores? Or do you go to the department store counters?

• I go into macy's store where there are mac stores located inside.

Sometimes I go to the official mac store.

Either or the women are usually very helpful in helping you find what you need.

• Have to say smashbox. I used to use Mac but found that after using it for a while it was actually making my skin worse by drying it out and the more I used the more I needed.. I use smashbox hydrating primer (blue) and smashbox studio skin hydrating foundation 2.4, spf 10.

I have spent a small fortune on my skin over the years and have found that using a cheaper foundation ruined all the good work my more expensive cleansers and moisturisers had done or vice versa. If you're going to invest in foundation/cleansers/moisturisers you have to invest in all of them otherwise you're defeating the purpose.

• I think lancome teint miracle foundation is pretty good.

concealer- rimmel london match perfection and maybelline instant age rewind eraser

powder- cover fx loose mineral powder

mascara- loreal voluminous waterproof (makes your lashes look so long and thick- people asked if I had on fake lashes or lash extensions)

eyeliner- revlon luxurious color

lipstick- mac lipsticks are worth the splurge in my opinion, theyre great

• Products I would buy:

Bobbi Brown- one of my faves :) concealer, blush/bronzer, foundation (one of the best neutral shade ranges), lip gloss, eyeshadow

Bare Escentuals- mineral products- loose powders

Chanel- lipsticks, foundations, eyeshadows, concealer

Clinique- skin care, mattifying products, concealer

Origins- skin care (organic) my aunt's favorite lol

Dior- eyeshadows, foundation, concealer, loose powder

Lancome-skin care, foundation, lipsticks

MAC- I love everything about MAC lol

Nars- blushes!, lip gloss, eyeshadows, foundation one of my faves too <3

Estee Lauder- skin care, foundation, concealer, blush, eyeshadows

Hope this helped! C:

• Different kinds for different reasons.

For face products like Foundation, Concealer, Powder I would say either Revlon or Covergirl

For Mascara I would say Covergirl or Maybelline

Lip Colors I think Loreal, Revlon, and maybe Rimmel

Eyeshadows probably Wet n' Wild and Maybelline (I don't think drugstore has good eyeshadows)

For Blushes and Bronzers go for Hard Candy, Milani, and NYC

For Eyeliner Rimmel, Milani, and Wet n' Wild makes a really good and inexpensive gel eyeliner.

I don't know if you consider NYX drugstore because I can't find many NYX products at drugstores in my area but NYX's prices are comparable to drugstores, but the quality and range of products is closer to mid range cosmetics like urban decay/mac/etc than any other drugstore brands.

If you have more of a mature skin I don't think drugstore makeup would be the best. But if you must I think Revlon and Loreal are your best options because they do have lines for anti-aging and wrinkle reducing.

• I just realized this question is asking about department store makeup. For some reason I thought it said drugstore.

For department store I think Clinique and Este Lauder

• I'm curious about this as well. I've heard MAC, BareMinerals, and Clinique, but I can't give an answer from experience yet.

• CLINIQUE! trust me, I work in a department store that sells it, its the best stuff for real. especially if you have sensitive skin. they have a foundation that's called repairwear that's anti aging. it may be more expensive than drugstore but it is so worth it. you can go in and get a sample before you buy it too:)

• Sephora and Mac are not much more expensive than revlon.

I also like bare mineral a lot.

• I will answer for that special someone in my life :)

Foundation would be Fashion Faire's brand

Lip stick would be Mac's Ruby Roo and Lady Danger

For false lashes they were Drug store

Eye brow pencils were from Mac

Lip liner was also from Mac

For myself, I don't really wear make up so much. I wear Maybeline mascara, Wet n' wild eyeliner and occasionally I will try out their eye shadows. I mostly like Shany cosmetics eye shadow now. For lip gloss I will go with Revlon and Sinful colors. I also choose to wear either Sinful colors or Sally's xtreme nail polish X) that's about it for me :D link their stuff works great and it is cheap :p I'm on a student budget lol

• I usually just get cheap drug store stuff but if I get the chance to have department store stuff I like Sephora. A lot of people like Mac and it's good too but I like Sephora better.

• I like my products from different makers

usually

foundation maxfactor - they have the right color for my skin and makes it smooth and well covered

mascara meybelline or boujoirs - almost no clumps

concealer - loreal or revlon - thick, but doesn't make it obvious

powder: I'd say boujoirs, because it gives the skin a nice shine

• MAC at Nordstrom

• MAC really is amazing and they will listen to what you want to get from your look and are really informative and great at educating not only how to use but how to apply their products as if you were a professional. Hope this helps :)

• My combination is the Revlon eye concealor, for dark circles and lines, plus bare minerals powder, which really does work AMAZINGLY WELL! and a bit of covergirl bronzer in place of blush, I have dark hair, green eyes, and with an olive complexion, so I am a 'warm' for cools I have heard good things about almay. I prefer powder finishes over liquid as well.

• Mac or clinique love them both!

• Channel is my favorite :) They make ammmaazzzing fondation

• Sephora! Usually in a JC Penny's.

• Maybelline. not covergirl

• MAC brand! <3

• MAC and Clinique are good, but I haven't tried either of their foundation, but I think I will!

• MAC-very pricey, though and I like Christian Dior.

• mac is good

• I think clinique. My mum uses it and she always gets told she looks nearly twenty years younger than she actually is, but she takes super good care of her skin in regard to what she puts on it. Opt for a lighter coverage and go for organic skincare. My mum has also been putting rosehip oil and egg white facemasks on her face since she was a teen. As for myself I wear mostly revlon and a korean bb cream.

• i would go to sephora or MAC and have them custom pick one for you. everyone's skin is different so it's hard to judge. MAC is just known to be very personal and have good makeup and a wide variety. and sephora carries a ton of brands all the different department store brands and high end brands.