Why do women wear make up, guys can answer too?

b4 girls get defensive please read.

I've seen a girl who was attractive but her make up was so thick it look like she wore a mask. (seriously)

i see girls with no flaws wear make up, y?

i don't understand the use of make up as a daily beauty treatment. most women look good without it.

personally I think unless if you have embarrassing marks or redness you shouldn't wear make up, its not needed.

women look good without it so why put on a fake face?

i can see some women doing it but the majority? and then you have teens who do it?

i don't wear make up and I never understood the reason for it.

i have so many best answers! I have a top 3 and I don't know who to choose. ummmm

Most Helpful Girl

• makeup has two purposes: to conceal and to enhance.

a girl with less-than-great skin or dull features can make a serious change just by a little concealer and some contouring.

a very pretty girl can enhance her regular features or bring out a certain feature (ie eyes) with eyeliner or blush or lipstick/gloss.

it's true that lots of girl don't know how to wear makeup, or they wear it for the wrong reasons, or they're so self-conscious that they can't leave the house without it.

but if you know what you're doing & you know how much is too much, it's a great tool.

What Guys Said 7

• Because they either don't think they're attractive without it and attempt to hide behind the facades of makeup, or because they think it's expected of them and they will be disliked if they don't use it, it could also be a habit, or it's a means of artistic self-expression.

• Did you know blush and lipstick is actually to replicate how a girl looks during orgasm.

Other than that it's for either enhancing or covering features. Eye makeup can easily take girl from a 7 to an 8.5 for me. But other than that I don't care for makeup unless they have bad skin. Not into blushes, lipsticks, contouring, colored eyeshadow, etc. Just black eye makeup = hot.

• Because its expected of them.

Honestly, I can't think of a better reason. The whole things just seems silly to me.

I always admire girls who are confident enough not to wear a cm of plastic over their face.

• a little to show your assets is fine. too much looks like a clown face.

• makeup shoudl be illegal... only thing that can make a girl go from a 3 to a 6.5... you add 2-3 beers to that and she's like an 11. Wake up the next morning next to jabba the hut and you're like wtf was I on last night?

Back to the question, makeup is worn by most girl to enhance their looks, the pretty ones that put on makeup to make themselves look ugly are idiots.. I know plenty of them too and I always ask why they put the sh*t on...

• I'm not a huge fan of them wearing makeup. But I guess it's something society expects and they have to live by. Unfortunate but true.

• Yes that is a sad story..and it would prevent me from asking your "mask girl' out.../:/:/:

What Girls Said 16

• I've never understood this either, and I definitely know what you mean about pretty women wearing so much make-up it's a mask, and not a particularly attractive one sometimes...

Most of the girls in my program wear A LOT of make-up every day- like foundation, concealer, eye liner and shadow, mascara, eye brows penciled, lipstick, lip liner, blush...I just don't get it! Possibly it's because the profession we're going into puts us in the public eye, but it's still weird.

Me- I only wear make-up occassionally, when I feel like it and going all out with make up for me is mascara, eye shadow and lip gloss. I don't see any need for it, so I go without it most of the time.

When I do wear it, it's often because I'm dressing up for an event, or alternately because I'm having a lazy day with jeans, a hoodie, and pony tail so I throw on a little mascara to offset feeling manly. But, I can dress up without makeup and I can definitely pull off jeans and a hoodie without it lol (I hear you about being a tom boy, me too!).

I'm not against makeup, I just don't see why it's necessary. I understand some girls don't have great skin, but seriously we ALL have flaws, I hate that women feel they need to hide them rather than just accept them and ask the world to accept them too.

• Not everyone has good skin. It's just the truth of the matter. I think there's way more girls out there with skin problems than those who have good skin. It's really annoying when girls who have good skin sort of assume that every other girl must have good skin too. It doesn't work that way. You're blessed if you have clear, even toned skin. You can't possibly speak if you don't know what it feels like to have skin problems and have to deal with the insecurities of it. I don't think anyone has the right to tell someone when they should need to use something or not. It's easy to speak when you're not the one with the dilemma. I mean, judging by your pics. You have great looking skin so of course you won't feel the need to wear it or will see why other girls would want to but you know, not everyone can have skin like you and that's why you don't understand the reason behind it.

• ur misunderstanding what I am asking. I said I can understand if a girl has embarrassing marks or redness. I am not being judgmental in fact I have lots of marks on my forehead but idc. I'm talking about the women who have nothign wrong at all and wear makeup everyday. I was a HS kid who was very pretty put on make up on the bus and her make up was so thick she looked like and 60 year old black women going to church with hella make up. so I am asking why do girls do that? and the reason I actually

• well ty for responding but next time I would prefer if you would listen to what I am saying rather than skim through my question then say I'm judging. I don't judge people I ask questions to become better educated if anything. I dnt understand makeup because my mom never let me wear any and I was a tomboy but please don't tell me what I am or why I think a certain way because you don't know what makes me tick. thanks for coming back and explaining things

• I think you're putting words in my mouth. You asked a question and I gave my sincerest answer. I don't really see how me saying what I did is me telling you who you are and what you think and what you think. I never claimed to know any of that or claimed to know what makes you "tick". And not once in my paragraph can I find evidence of me saying you are judgmental and accusing you of it.. but anywho it's a pleasure and I'm sorry if I offended you by giving my honest reply

• Makeup makes you look more put together and glamorous. Makeup isn't because "Oh I'm ugly I need some makeup". Makeup is for style and glamor, no different than wearing jewelry or styling your hair.

I like the artistic part behind it. It annoys me when people assume that just because you wear makeup you're insecure. What part of looking put together and on point is insecurity? I like my eyes so I emphasize them with makeup. That doesn't mean I don't find myself attractive. If I thought I was so unbearably ugly, I probably wouldn't be using any type of beauty products because they wouldn't help anyway. I'd be more likely to think the bummy girl that wears no makeup, doesn't do her hair and dresses in sweats all the time has low self esteem before I say a girl who takes care of her appearance does.

• I used to back then when I was younger and when I had worse skin than I do now. Now that I'm satisfied with my skin, I feel okay not wearing any makeup on a daily basis. It's also a vicious cycle, I think. The more makeup you wear, the more your skin breaks out because the makeup keeps it from breathing. The more you breakout because of it, the worse your skin looks and the more you put on. I think that once you're comfortable with what you see you can start putting on less and less - until you realize that you're not really putting on makeup for yourself anymore. When I came to that realization, I just thought to myself "F*** it, why would I put so much effort into it anymore?". Having a SO also helps because it gives a girl the confidence that she's attractive as she comes.

• Sometimes women use makeup all wrong. If you use makeup to cover up what you actually look like, it will come out ugly. But if you use makeup to highlight your natural beauty, then it turns out really nice.

Personally I use it to highlight my eyes and because it's kind of fun.

• I almost never have any problem with eye or eyebrow makeup...it is the cheek crap that I hate so much...o.O

• Oh, I guess that would make sense for a person with darker hair. I'm a blond with brown eyebrows so I would never darken them.

• yes I was in HS and I did that no lip stick I traced my lips with a eye liner and I darkened my eyebrows to match. but that is my only make up experience lol

• usually I wear makeup because it makes me feel good kinda like wearing a favorite shirt I like to wear it because I like it and it makes me happy. In my eyes I'm pretty but playing with my face is fun and creative, I really have nothing to hide I've gone out so many times without make up, but there's days when I'll be like huh I want to know how this would look like on me, and I'll just start playing around until I find something that looks nice and not silly like clown face. makeup just makes me feel a bit more polished.

• I mostly only just wear make-up on my eyes, not because I don't like my eyes...I find my eyes to be my best feature so I want them to stand out more so my eyes will be the first thing people notice about me, I've gotten a lot of compliments. I don't use make-up as a mask, but to showcase my best features.

• Women use it to highlight the best areas of their face, or to hide flaws. I don't wear makeup and never have. I see no point in it. I would rather have a guy find me naturally beautiful than find me pretty with makeup. I think it can up a woman's confidence especially if they look better with makeup

you can go from this to this with makeup

link

link

link

link

• hahaha I think the last didn't need make up. her after pic looked weird. you know itf funny when women wear make up to get a guy but when the guy finally see them without it its like..ohhhh my lol but yes, those 1st 3 women needed make up and do look better

• hahahah I know right! I showed my boyfriend some before and after pics of women with makeup and he thinks women are decieving... he's gone to bed with a hot woman then woke up next to some swamp thing haha. he's been there lol

• lol aww poor guy

• Because I love the way I look with it, and I love spending time to do my makeup. But I never cake it on. and I'll still go in public without makeup on, I don't care. I will never understand why some girls wanna look like a barbie doll

• I wear it to look better, makes me feel more confident.

• It make me feel somewhat confident.

• not true almost any woman looks better with makeup if it is applied right. no makeup looks plain and bare even on pretty women. and a lot of women who are pretty with makeup look very plain without it.

i think I need it, because I have dark circles under my eyes and so I need to cover them up. and then I also think my eyes look prettier when I wear a little bit of liner and mascara. so I do.

i get told that I don't look very different without my makeup on because I don't go too heavy or thick and I only use black or brown eye stuff so it is neutral.

it just makes girls prettier as long as you do it right.

• Great question! I think a lot of girls are after the plastic Barbie-doll look. Personally, I find that makeup can become an addiction - girls are introduced to it at a very young age, as young as 12 years old for some, and they just get so accustomed to wearing it, they see their peers wear it, and so they feel like they can never go without it. I think parentage has to do with it too, ex. if a girl sees her mother wearing lipstick whenever she goes out, she will look up to that and want to copy it. Personally, I'm an adopted European girl. My parents are Asian, and my mother never kept makeup in the house, except foundation and blush. I had to discover it myself when I went to school - I often felt "old fashioned" for not knowing much about cosmetics like most of my friends did. It was only until the age of 15 that I started wearing mascara, and it is the only thing that I cannot go without now. It makes such a difference since I am blond and my lashes are pretty much invisible. All the rest, I don't do; I skip the liner, bronzer, contour, eyeshadow because I am so unaccustomed to wearing them that when I do, occasionally, it feels unnatural. I do concealer sometimes, when my skin is breaking out or I have under eye circles, but other than that, nothing.

• my mom wears makeup and I don't becasue I wasn't exposed it at all. but I did play with her stuff for a bit. she made me wear makeup when I wen to prom and I washed it off when I got in the car. my face felt itchy and I could smell the powder lol

• Some women, and men for that matter, like their look in it. It's not our job to tell them not to wear it, as much as it's not our job to tell them what style of clothes to wear. We do not have to like it or understand it. Just accept them for who they are.

• u do understand I am asking a question and not telling pple what to do? please post the sentence where I tell pple what to do.

• Please post the sentence where I say that you are telling people what to do. I use "we" as in "we the people." Duh

• so in others words you cannot give me an example of how I am telling any1 how to live or what to do. OK ty, exactly my point

• Most girls where make up to even out their skin tone, make them appear younger, and to make features(eyes, lips etc) stand out.

• Even though I do have flawless skin I still wear make up because it makes me feel more attractive. I look like a cute girl he t door type without makeup but with make up I have the confidence to be a crazy sex pot, it gives me an unknown confidence. If that makes sense.

• so would you say you are a little bit insecure ?

• Not about my looks, its more about my personality. I am very shy but when I wear big makeup I feel ithelps me not be as shy.

• I would agree with you there about the shyness and how it helps make you more confident,but I don't wear makeup and I'm thinking about wearing eyeliner? I'm not sure if it would be "too much". Or if I should just stay as the "au-natural".