Dealing with professors...

So from what I see a lot of the users on GAG are around the age's of 20-30.

So my question to you all in college or graduated is when you entered a brand new class, did you do well on the first test? How did you go about finding what the professors wanted you to study and not study?

I've been dealing with a lot of trouble and so far its caused me two bad test grades in the same class and similar results in the other 3 classes I'm taking. I'm studying every night reading the book and trying to look at their powerpoint to narrow down what I should be looking at but it did not help.

(P.S.- in the class with two bad test grades I recently found out the class average for the test was a 58, and he had to lower the grading scale so that a 42 was a D)

Any advice on this is welcomed.

So thanks for the responses I'll definantly take everything into consideration, I have talked to one of my professors about how to study and we will see what happens by the next test. But for the one I just received a bad grade in for the second time, he has a horrible rating on ratemyprofessors.com.

So I have a new profesor to teach the second half of the course and I will try to ask him early what is the best way to study for HIS test.

thanks

Most Helpful Girl

• I would definitely say talk to your professors either by going to see them in office hours or by e-mailing them, and tell them that you're really struggling and ask them how they think you should study. In a lot of classes I've taken, going to office hours for extra help not only 1. helps but 2. gives you a little grade boost because it shows that you're trying really hard.

Also try to think of what the issue is- have you noticed that most of the questions on the exams come from the homework assignments, the textbook, the powerpoint, the recitation material, etc. and compare that to what you spend the majority of your time studying.

Also, are these classes science/math classes? Because I remember in my calc class, and the organic chemistry classes at my school are famous for this, the averages are so ridiculously low that a grade that would normally be failing is considered "good". So maybe you just feel bad about getting a normally bad grade when really it's fine?

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 4

• Alright listen close man. I finished my BA in biology in 4 years and let me tell you, the grand majority of the teaching, learning, and studying I did all these years came from me. my professors reallybwere not that big of a help and like many students, I've had to teach mysel the bulk of all he material in my bachelors. I've only had about three truly great professors in college. You must learn to teach yourself. I'd say still go to the professors and ask questions so they know you care and show an interest, that helps because it shows hem you're working for a good grade. First tests are tricky, never know what's going to be on them. My advice is to know everything that was lectured about and then some.

• First of all, know what's normal. Some classes you might be doing badly, some teachers all the test marks are horrible and then they bell curve them up. I had a first year calculus teacher who was very open about aiming for a pre-curve average of around 30%.

So ... first of all, know how you're doing relative to the average.

Second, see if you can dig up prior year tests.

Are you not covering the right material, or just not able to answer the questions?

• It's been a while ago, but I've had issues at years' starts like you. Then things went better, once I had found my rhythm. All in all, it didn't prevent me from becoming an engineer.

Don't hesitate to ask for directions to your teachers. They are here to help you.

So don't worry, and keep doing your best.

• What kind of class is it? I would ask the professor for advice and see what he can offer